The progression of a bike & biker. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The progression of a bike & biker.

Here are some old pix I found of me & my bike before I rebuilt it for the 3rd time since I've owned it.

Me back in 90 or 91 Check out the Mini Apes

After I realized that Ape Hangers made your hands fall asleep.

The way Me & My bike look these days.

For anyone that knows about old school harleys, the rims in the first 2 pix are REAL Lester Invader Mags they quit making them in the early 80's & yes I still have them. BTW Check it out no Front brakes at all, just a spool.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Love the wheels. I thought about putting those on the trump for period perfect shoes, but the new ones are $400 a pop and the originals are hard to come by that are actually in working order so I guess the want for them got put back in the back of my mind. Your right about the apes, they can make your paws pass out. On my first HD I had 18" ers and they looks awsome, but sucked on a long windy ride and sucked very bad in the rain because all the water would run down your arms and into your pits. That doesn't sound to bad in the heat, but 20 degree water running down your arm isn't fun. Have a set of 16" going on the trump, but also have a set of dragbars for when I take my 4 foot sissy bar off Have a bud that rides daily with 30" apes with 4" risers. No idea how he does it comfortably, but he likes it

take care, on two wheels and verticle to the horizon.

HK
Old 07-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

HK I had those Lesters re-chromed about 5 years ago, they are still in perfect condition, I still have that narrow glide that is in the first pix. I even have all the of the old flamed purple paint job hanging in my garage. I'm saving those Lesters & the narrow glide for a little pan project that I want to do one day. I got the motor, wheels & front end, just gotta get a frame & start putting it together. With as many projects as I have going on, I may get the pan project started in the next 5 years. Suicide shift with no front brake, just like I used to ride.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:30 PM
banned

man I must say, NICE bike. Clean chop and all.

The new handle bars are better in my opinion, easier to ride and don't stick out like a sore thumb
Old 07-11-2003, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

What kind of frame ya lookin' for? I think I might have a rigid for a pan, I'll hafta check, can't remember. Did you spray those flames? Very nice reguardless. I was never to fond of the narrow glides unless it was a springer. I'm extremely skinny so I don't need a skinny bike yet to boot, heh. My sportster was jokey shift, took a bit of getting used to because I never rode a scoot with one before I decided to do mine. Turned out real nice though. I used a peice of scrap aluminum rectangle stock and machined it out a bit to look like a connecting rod, added some heat and curved it a bit and topped it off with a piston we use for a small compressor on top of one of our 2 stroke engines at work. Looked pretty cool, worked great and was cheap! The trump will be jokey shift as well, but I'm not going to do as mch work to make it this time. The trump will be a classic 70's chop, nothing fancy, no pudgy ars, no 21" front tire, no billet peices unless I make them, no flames, nothing costing over $250 per peice, whole build under $1000. It may have front brakes, but if it does they will be the tiny chopper drum brakes. Why, I'm cheap and its a rider, I don't need no fancy wheels that cost more than my first bike all together

I wish you well with the pan, you should chat with Biggarmike, he's building a trick pan too.

HK
Old 07-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

HK, no I didn't spray those flames, that is a very old school paint job, done the old way, I gave the guy my fenders & tank and just called him for 6 months until I got them back, then we exchanged a fairly large amount of money. Here is a shot of what the old tank looks like these days. It's all chipped up just like the fenders, but you can still tell what they used to look like including the mural on the tank. The picture does the mural no justice, in person you can see little glints in her eyes & you can tell that he spent a lot of time on her nips.

As far as a frame goes, I'm gonna be looking for something that will take the pan with no problems that is pretty much any frame out there, but I also want a new style tranny mount so I can run a 5 speed jockey shift. The rear of the frame means more than the front, considering that I really like making my frames my own.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Well if your motorcycle paint isn't chipped that means you don't ride enough.

I'll keep an eye out for a frame for you. The one I got is old style and will do you no good.

Should be a pretty cool scoot when it gets together. Let me know if you need any help on those paint chips if you plan to keep the same paint. to the garage I go, to the garage I gooooo.

HK
Old 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Rooster

I love it. love it love it love it! I got my first bike when I was 17. a little shovlehead sportster. for two years me and my girl rode that bike everywhere- 120 temps down in Arizona, in the snow and rain up in Montana, everywhere. I had more fun with that girl and that bike than any ones since. haven't seen the girl or the bike in nine years.... over the years I've had alot of bikes, but since the prices are starting to get pretty crazy ($20,000 for a new hog? get real....) I guess I'll hang on to the one I've got. I've never had anything other than a shovelhead, I guess I never will. and I'll ride a moped before I will ever ride a softtail, _damn hardtail wanna be is all they are! in case anyone cares, I got a 1973 shovelhead in a hardtail frame, 1500cc, axtel barrels, S&S cases, branch flometric heads, axtel rods pistons and crank, S&S cam, 48 mm mikuni carb, balanced and frame is stretched six inches, lengthened twelve inches and raked 40 degrees. and yes, oh yes, sky-high airborne apes. if you can still reach your handle bars they are not high enough.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

bigwildgrin, post picks, definatly post picks, got to see that scoot. I'm currently finishing my bros '74 shovel. Nothing crazy, just a really nice long distance cruiser. lots of powdercoat, new everything, belt drive, tail dragger fenders. Everythings brand new or made/rebuilt brand new. Should be a sweety. Once my scoot and his is done I'll post pics.

My late bro had an old ironhead sportster he rebuilt from a basketcase. Rigid frame, orange paint, jokey shift, 1100cc stout little fooker. Smoked me on my shovel. He could ride that little cuss too. I go visit that bike once and a while, still very quick.

Post pics, that scoot of your sound like its really something. I'm guessing the backbone was stretched 6", but what was lengthened 12"? The forks?

HK
Old 07-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Rooster

halloweenking, the frame was lengthened in both directions at the transmission down tube, so I guess you could say six inches in either direction. this is not a cosmetic design though; when a bike is excessively raked the wheel base needs to be lengthened or a very unstable ride will result. There is a formula for this that I don't have on the top of my head. I may or may not be telling you something you already know, just mentioning it because I found out the hard way that you can't just take a cutting torch and welder to your bike and make yourself a chopper. and six inches in the front down tubes, to make the bike taller. I bought a paugcho frame, then the blueprints and jig off a local bike builder and he welded it all together. yes I know, much more info than anyone of you wanted.....

how do you post pics? I will lay some on you guys if I can figure it out...

by the way halloween, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't build a hot rod bike again. just a nice reliable cruiser. good luck with your shovel and post those pics.

remember everyone: see no evo hear no evo speak no evo (ha ha, ha, seen that on a panhead, thought it was worth a chuckle)
Old 07-12-2003, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

yep, I know the whole shpeel on custom frames for scoots. Built a few for bros and customers as well as myself. Its deffinatly not a "wing it" type procedure. Rake and trail for proper ride as well as much much more, engine placement etc etc. Its alot of math and measurement, but its worth it.

My next bike will probably be a twin cam 100th ann. heritage for a cruiser, and I'll have a chop for a 'round town scoot.

HK
Old 07-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Making progress with the Pan, going to build a custom big inch evo instead. I need a daily rider, and the Pan isn't quite it!

It's too big to attach, but a new pic is in my photo album. (711Pan.jpg)
Old 07-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwildgrin
I love it. love it love it love it! I got my first bike when I was 17. a little shovlehead sportster. for two years me and my girl rode that bike everywhere- 120 temps down in Arizona, in the snow and rain up in Montana, everywhere. I had more fun with that girl and that bike than any ones since. haven't seen the girl or the bike in nine years.... over the years I've had alot of bikes, but since the prices are starting to get pretty crazy ($20,000 for a new hog? get real....) I guess I'll hang on to the one I've got. I've never had anything other than a shovelhead, I guess I never will. and I'll ride a moped before I will ever ride a softtail, _damn hardtail wanna be is all they are! in case anyone cares, I got a 1973 shovelhead in a hardtail frame, 1500cc, axtel barrels, S&S cases, branch flometric heads, axtel rods pistons and crank, S&S cam, 48 mm mikuni carb, balanced and frame is stretched six inches, lengthened twelve inches and raked 40 degrees. and yes, oh yes, sky-high airborne apes. if you can still reach your handle bars they are not high enough.
I got my first Harley when I was 17 also, I had 2 rice bikes before that, ***** my first bike was outta necessity I got a brand new Honda 450 Nitehawk in 84 & the payment + insurance was less than $60 a month. My next bike was a Vmax, I'd take another one in a heartbeat, but everyone around me claims that if I get another one I'll kill myself, My answer is @ 200 MPH I won't even have time to realize that I'm dead. :laugh:

Bigwildgrin, I didn't realize that Axtell made full stroker kits, I thought they just made cylinders, you learn something new every day. As far as your bike goes with new cases it's kinda hard to call it a 73 .

At least on my bike I still have the stock cases. Mine has T&O wheels, Carillo rods, Keith Black Forged Pistons with S&S teflon keepers, STD heads ( Highly worked over ) Custom ground Leinweiber cam .625 Solid Lift. S&S nose cone ( believe it or not it really helped my Oil pressure ) a Jims nose cone will work just as good. I have Jims tappet blocks & Jims fat axle tappets with solid inserts, andrews hardened pushrods. Crane roller rockers, S&S billet oil pump, S&S D model with 2 Thunder jets. Oh yeah with all of these very high dollar parts, I'm still running points, until I get my new Spyke ignition in either tomorrow or the next day.

HK as far as setting up rake & trail goes, Pat Kennedy's website had all the diagrams for setting up proper rake & trail for Choppers, but I haven't been to his site in years, but hopefully that information is still there. In case people don't know, Pat Kennedy was the Jesse James of Long Bikes 20 years before Jesse James had ever worked on his first Moped.

EDIT: HK of course my bike's rake & trail is all messed up, but I can still ride it, I don't call it front end flop I call it exersize trying to control slow speed turns.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Rooster

Quote:
Originally posted by jamnut
Bigwildgrin, I didn't realize that Axtell made full stroker kits, I thought they just made cylinders, you learn something new every day. As far as your bike goes with new cases it's kinda hard to call it a 73 .

I bought my stroker kit off of the same guy that chopped up my frame, which was seven years ago this summer and he had it in his shop for a few years, so they did make them at one point. not sure if they still do, though. come to think of it, I haven't seen anything from axtell in many years. are they still around?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.