Project - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 05:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nice car but i like on the home page there where it says "body shop" and all the guys are standing there. it says on the side "superior panel fit". being fiberglass........ i'll believe it when i see it. if you figured 150 hours into the body then you had better plan on 300. i'm sure you know all about the wonderful world of aftermarket fiberglass parts and the precision standards most of these are made to. being this is a complete car body, it might be different but we'll see i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 01:43 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I will be done with the vette in about 3-4 months, so its time to be looking for next project.
99% of everything I have ever done has been restorations with the exception of the 55 Chevy.
In my old age I think I'm ready for a change.

I have been thinking about building an GT500E, not to sell but for myself as I love the styling of these things.

I figure I could build one for about $35,000-$40,000, my wife thinks I'm have a case of Alzheimer's. What your opinion.

http://www.uniqueperformance.com
Barry,

I think the GT500 would be really cool! I drooled over these when I was a kid.
It's funny that the only cars that I would be interesting in owning now are the ones that I dreamed about as a teenager.
Good luck in finding one. I would think a search on this might take a lot of patience as they are rare and the condition would be so important.

I am interested in your Vette project. I had seen you refer to this project but I don't know what year it is or what options it has. Do you document your progress with any photos? I would be interested in seeing some if you do.

You have helped me with some questions on my '69 roadster project and I just updated the photo album. I thought you might be interested in to taking a look:

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showga...0&ppuser=17782

Roger
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Roger,
Your vette is coming along good!

The gt would be a fake, so as I understand it I need a 67-68 fastback or convertible to modify.
Don't want a real one as I would never drive it like half the other crap I got laying around.

I can't post info on the vette as it will most likely be a sale car when done.
Its a 40,000 never in rain 454 loaded and of all things an auto so its about a one of 22-24. (it was a true old mans toy)
I was just going to strip the factory paint off but I have the frame done, engine painted and all I got left is strip exterior and paint put together.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

40,000 seems light to me. Here's why.

I don't think you would compromise on ANYTHING for yourself, Barry. New big inch crate motor, best suspension, best trans, leather interior, the whole smash. 2k in rubber and wheels alone. Big brakes. Premium sound with GPS.
Paint , well.......

If your going to build yourself a car, with your means, you certainly won't shortcut it.

I be willing to bet $100,000 (monopoly money, of course!) that you would go over the $40K.

Can't wait to see it!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

Benaway,
Your more right than wrong! I have spent about 6 hours so far looking for a fastback or a convert and hard to find cheap thats for sure.
For that year looks like $10,000 area and of course every panel and floor pan would need to be replaced to do right.
$8,000 front and rear suspension, 6,000 for interior MIN.
428/429 looks like the best and cheapest deal of the whole thing.

This may get out of hand before even started depending price I can get a car for will decide if this goes or not.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Roger,
Your vette is coming along good!

The gt would be a fake, so as I understand it I need a 67-68 fastback or convertible to modify.
Don't want a real one as I would never drive it like half the other crap I got laying around.

I can't post info on the vette as it will most likely be a sale car when done.
Its a 40,000 never in rain 454 loaded and of all things an auto so its about a one of 22-24. (it was a true old mans toy)
I was just going to strip the factory paint off but I have the frame done, engine painted and all I got left is strip exterior and paint put together.
Actually, I would prefer a fake if I were to do a project like this. For me, it is about FUN per dollar not whether it is an original or not.

I had a 67 GT390 fastback when I was in high school in Tucson,AZ. I sold it for $900 because it needed a valve job . If I new then what I now now.....
It had a perfect body with absolutely no rust being a southern AZ car.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Barry,
You can bolt in a 390, 427, 428 but not a 429 without a lot of work. If you want the engine for looks than you have to use a big block FE engine. If you want a good driver I would get a 5.0 with fuel injection and 5 speed or aod. This way you have the best of both worlds. Classic looks and modern technology. Or if you really wanted the best new Cobra crate motor with 6 speed and no shock towers but there goes the budget!!!
Rusty
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

whatever it is, it needs to be a dragcar with a badas5 paintjob promoting your outfit,..... and i'll even help you run it on weekends.....
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
whatever it is, it needs to be a drag car with a badas5 paintjob promoting your outfit,..... and i'll even help you run it on weekends.....
No Way!
I quarter miled for years when younger. Can remember saving for two weeks
to come up with $45. for a Chevy type lifter adjuster for a GTO to gain rpms.
I can remember borrowing $65 for two new rear tires on Thursday and first run with the 421 shifting to 3rd and the rear tire blowing out that Friday night because I burnt the tread off.

I'm a compulsive and addictive type personality, so I know to stay away from the track, in the last 10 years have been about 7-9 times BUT If I had a drag car at this time in my life, even a junker I know it could never be good enough or be happy with anyone class.
In other words it would be a big money pit as I would not be able to control myself-- so I stay away from the track.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Hey Barry-
Don't forget the""GO BABY GO" switch!
Go for it-life's short.
George
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Barry, that looks like a very cool ride. I like the idea of the glass body too, you just buy it and do what you want, no remorse.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.