Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 07:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Project

I will be done with the vette in about 3-4 months, so its time to be looking for next project.
99% of everything I have ever done has been restorations with the exception of the 55 Chevy.
In my old age I think I'm ready for a change.

I have been thinking about building an GT500E, not to sell but for myself as I love the styling of these things.

I figure I could build one for about $35,000-$40,000, my wife thinks I'm have a case of Alzheimer's. What your opinion.

http://www.uniqueperformance.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 08:29 AM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:

Sounds like a great project.

As for cost everything I have ever tackled and estimated a price for has always cost me twice as much as what I estimated. At 40,000 I hope you are a better estimator than I am. The things that add up are all those incidentals. 6 rolls of paper towels per week, 12 truck loads of sandpaper, some mineral spirits for cleaning stuff, a few of these special bolts two of these chrome headed fastners etc, etc, etc,

Ric
Old 06-11-2005, 09:05 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

That would be love Barry, just plain love.... I think you should do it and make an online journal here through the process so we can all watch it come together...

Matthew
Old 06-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

I'm usually pretty good at figuring costs of a project. I had 14,000 in 55 taking from a field junker to a all power street rod and I had figured 18,000.

But this project is not as simple as there are a lot of things that are fixed costs such as suspension that you just can't shop prices or get creative and interior will be a killer and fixed costs.
Engine, its got to be the big one but we could down grade to a used cobra engine if we came across one.
Other decision is convert or not and that will play a large part on cost of body.
No doubt this will be expensive but I think I'm on the high side with my figures.

I would do a journal on this, since I'm keeping it. I don't on the other cars because when you sell them the story the guy wants to tell is all his considering the price he pays. So last thing he wants is car to show up in the Internet when his neighbor is doing a search. The Goats would have been great educational material, but have been inspected by Barrett and will be going to one of the auctions.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:48 AM

Barry,
No doubt that would be very cool. But on the other hand what about a hot rod truck? Early chevy like 1950 or 56. But you gotta love those mustangs
Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds like a Keeper

I have always missed my Mustang..handled great and aquitted itself real well in performance..

Anyway..how about just finding a decent body and making a SCCA Trans-am clone..make it just enough different so no one would mistake it for some kind of collector deal..If you want some kind of "feature" go ahead and do it..

Personally I think the small block Stangs handled a lot better than the big block versions..

And if all else fails you could do a glass replica body and have a lite weight "street fighter"

Anyway do this ine because you want to not because you have to..

Just Grinnin,,,

OMT
Old 06-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Sounds like a great idea-just do it the way you wantand enjoy it.After doing cars with the idea of selling them to others it should be great to do one the way you want and keeping it.
Back around 73-74,there was a GT500KR convertable for sale in my home town-I was in love with that car.Belonged to tire store owners wife and was immaculate.Sold for $4000.I wanted it bad ,but no insurance co. would cover an 18 year old in that car and my parents wouldn't let me put it in thier name.I've been kicking my self ever since and not because of what car has become worth.
Go for it and have a blast!
And don't let some sucker talk you into selling it-unless it's me.
Good Luck,George
Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Sevt, I had thought about that and at last car show wife found a 51 like I use to have in FL as a farm truck but traded it for some cattle, she wanted me to get it but I stalled off.
The last 20 years I have had nonstop projects and I'm one of those that whatever I'm doing I have to get done. Its never going to set untouched unless I'm out of town that week.
I'm just burnt out and at this point (not sure how long) all I want is an Eleanore and to find a 560SL low mileage one owner that all I need to do is a nice paint job and enjoy.
This is scaring my wife to death as she knows I go nuts if I'm not working on something.

OMT,
We have a ex-championship racer on here that restores mustangs and my thoughts were to hire him to set up the suspension one I got what was needed. I figured Rusty could solve the handling problem.

Fast Orange.
What if back then you had put that 4,000 in a mutual fund?
NAY! What if you had stuffed that GT in the basement! Try not to think about it, thats the best way!
Every so often I will take my wife to an auction and she will see a vette get some big bucks and she will point out that I had ex number of that modle years ago. Its a bad feeling!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Barry-
If I had been able to get that car back then,I'd still have it-medium metallic blue paint-white top and interior two big 4bbls on that big ol' 428- iI might not be able to afford the gas,but then they tell me eating is overrated anyhow.Somehow,I'd still be driving that baby,believe me.
Oh well-maybe I'll hit the lottery-
George
Old 06-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

I say go for it.. when i was looking for a car to restore a few months ago it was between a 65 fast back and an old porsche 911. well i bid on a few of each on ebay and i won a porsche. although im not mad or dissapointed seen as how im only 22 and i have alotta years of building what i want ahead of me.. i still get that feeling like i should of bought the mustang instead.. but im sure i will be pleased with what i have. but definatly go for it.. gt500 is top three nicest american car ever.. in my book
Old 06-11-2005, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

Barry,
I will be glad to help you. I plan on building one myself when I finish the 1967 Shelby Coupe I'm building. Which body kit will you be using?
Rusty
Old 06-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

project

Barry,

Great choice I have 3 kids all of them want one.

A hardtop came through town last year it was just as nice as the vert and fastback

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Life gives you only one ride in this world. Time to quit building rides for other people and put one together for yourself. If that's the car that turns your crank I say go for it. I bet you're right on at 35-40K if you do most of the work yourself. Make it perfect, I see fit and finish problems on all the examples on the Uniqueperformance link. -bugs the hell out of me.

Soon I hope to be financially stable enough to afford the time needed to get my own project together, time and money.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 AM

Last photo:

Rusty, I was thinking the Unique in Texas.

Bob,
I noticed that, I was at their plant a month ago and I think any time you do this type of add-ons what will make or break the job is how many hours you want to spend to fit each piece.

Keith,
You really should build or buy one for each kid! Really what kind of dad are you to deprive them like that?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:31 AM

Last photo:

Barry,
Are they using Maier's fiberglass kit or their own?
Rusty

Last edited by rusty428cj; 06-12-2005 at 05:41 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.