Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - project bronco quarters
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Theres nothing wrong with a flange joint what so ever.(if its done right) if you flange the replacement panel the flange will be upside down and it'll hold water like a cup even if its seam sealed it'll fail sooner or later. If you flange the the bed side (the right way) theopen end will point down and it wont hold water then a little seam sealer and it'll last as longer than that replacement patch ...
I would flange the top only just to help keep the seam from warping. the strength from the body line combined with the added strength from the flange will give you a nice straight seam. then I would butt the sides and back it up with a strip of copper to keep the metal from blowing out when you weld The sides will warp but you can work them fairly EZ...Thats me,for you,I'd say go ahead and flange it on all three sides and use some drill screws in the flange to hold the new panel on that way you test fit it pull it of and work the flange until its perfect use a straight edge to make sure the joint is flush everywhere BEFORE you start welding. I'd also put the screws every two inches all the way around..When your sure everything is right and you start welding just pull one screw and make a plug weld then go to the next one and repete,when all the screws are removed and a plug weld has replaced them ,then you start on the flange edge,That has to be welded like a butt joint ,all the way around..if you take your time you should have a warp free job that needs very little filler...