project finishing advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

project finishing advice

I'm sure allot of you have been were I'm at right now.
Last year I soldoff the montecarlo and ought my 58 Volvo project for $600 no motor or tranny.So far I've got the frame and firewall painted,motor between the rails and aprtialy hooked up,doors together,finished the elec. etc..
Problem is it seems like everything on the car has been started and nothing is finished.It need winshield cut,driveshaft lengthened,gotta find a rad to fit between the fenders,sandblast the nose and put it on,weld patches in to complete headlights,drop the steering column and stabilize the column and various other stuff.Half of this stuff has to be done elswere as I don't have welders and sandblasters etc..
Its been sitting for months waiting,I've done a lil but theres so much.I'm also in a major cash rut(I have none).I actually thought for a while about selling it off and my tools and being done,but know I would regret it not having a hotrod.Meanwhile its on jackstands costing $85 to store. Anyone have any advice on how to get it in gear and get her to roll down the road under her own power again??I need a game plan or help organizing or something maybe a case of beer and a pizza.Its prolly within $600 of being driveable its just were to start again.

Advertisement

Last edited by 78 monte; 05-15-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 01:13 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

58 Volvo? got any pics?

Do you live in Texas? if you do I'm the guy you need, I can get ANY car back on the road.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

That's tough luck. I'm gonna tell you exactly what you probably dont want to hear.
OPTION 1 is to sell the car. Sell it, and start saving up money. A few months withouth a rod wont hurt. Save up more money and always look out for good deals. After you got enough money, buy a welder. Start saving up again and then buy another project car.Take it easy and have patience
OPTION 2: take it easy with the car. Find a cheaper place to store it (relatives?). Get a job or a better job and start saving up more money. Get a $200 beater car or ride a bike. Slowly work on it whenever you got the money.

Mike
Old 05-15-2004, 07:57 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I guess I am lucky. I currently have 3 projects I am working on. I got the first one 15 years ago. I then injured my back and suffered a serious set-back on my project because of physical and financial problems. Then I was distracted for about 6-8 years while my son and I raced go-karts. I still picked up a couple more projects along the way. I am now back on my projects and making head-way. Although my wife tells me that I can pick up the phone and order what I need, I still have flash-backs of bad times, so I still shop more than buying. I work on which ever project I have parts or time for. Not having a problem of having to pay to store my projects does make things easier for me, and enables me to take as long as I want/need.

You need to find someplace to store your stuff until you can afford to get going again. Atleast older iron increases in value over time.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:33 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

the only thing I can tell you is HANG IN THERE.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:36 AM

Last photo:

I guess I may have made it sound a lil worse than it is.I do have access to a sandblaster and a welder and also have a freind that is a certified welder.Its just that as I look at the car its like I gotta tow it here for this,take this there for that,take this part off and have this freind do this to it and hope it fits when I get it back etc...meanwhile the little bit of money it needs I don't have,so I'm kinna overwhelmed.
First thing I think I'm gonna walk around the car and make a list,then do everthing I can aford first.I think with a checklisti may feel a lil more organied and on a track.Right now I feel like "I can do this,wait no it needs that",I can put that on,but wait that needs to be cut and welded first","Well I'll finish that,wait no I need one of those first and there $100"etc...etc...
Fastchevy,yea I got pics but no way to post um.I was sposed to put some up 8mo ago whan I got the thing
Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Take your trip around the car and make the list of what you need/want to do. Then sit down and make another list of the order that you think it should be done. When you have the list done, you will have a list of small projects you need/want to do. Tackle one of them at a time, when you have the time and resourses to do them.

Consider this. If you feel that you need to change the carb and manifold. You obviously need the manifold first, to change the carb. That is 3 projects to do, get the manifold, get the carb, and install both. If you show them as 3 projects, and mark them off of your list as you get them done, you feel great that you are cutting down your list, although you may not be doing it as fast as you want. The shorter your list get as you work on, the better you feel.

I really doubt that there are any of us that get our projects done as quick as we would like. The real goal is to work on it and get it finished. On projects, I don't set time plans, just completion plans. Use your friends abilities and resourses when you can to achieve your goals. When you can, help your friends to achieve their goals.

In the long run, it is all about the "feel good factor" of accomplishing the goal. Helping someone else achieve their goal will also help you motivate yourself to achieve yours.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 AM

Last photo:

Thanks adkart,I started a list(allthough I need to make a more organized one).
I'm gettin back in the swing of things and I'm getting less dicouraged.I did a lil more work on it last night. I guess I just gotta plug allong.
I'm not so worried about getting it finished I'd just like to be bale to back it out and drive it up the road under it own power with the nose on so I feel like I have an actual car instead of a boxes of car parts.lol Thats my goal by Fall.
Also I have a good 350 I'm prolly gonna sell to get the money for the driveshaft and mabe a used set of block huggers to mod(hell if I'm lucky maybe I can squeze the rad. outta it).I didn't wanna sell it but I guess one good 350 is enough for 1 car.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:43 AM

Last journal entry: Dug up some old pics
Last photo:

just get stuck in man. I made up a list for my holden but it was too mind boggling to even look at so Im just gonna go hard and do everything night after night after night.......................................... ............... ............................. after night until its done. just dont get outta the swing of it cause youll never want to get back into in once you have a bit of relaxation

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.