Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Project motivation (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/project-motivation-108758.html)

americanLT1 02-10-2007 09:11 AM

Project motivation

1 Attachment(s)
I'm almost three years into this project now and I sometimes get overwhelmed and think I bit off more than I could chew. I thought at the very least this rambler body I found for my project was pretty much rust free. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm getting burned out on the fabrication part of the project so, I decided to start some of the body work. The rear quarters on this car are bolted along the top and welded everywhere else. As I cleaned along the seam where the quarter bolts on I noticed discoloration in the very thin original white paint. So, I removed all the bolts and was able to gently pry the two panels apart enough to look between.....RUST.

I tried telling myself that it's not that bad and In the past I probably would have poured rust converter in and called it good. But, I've already committed so much time to this car and read so many treads on proper rust treatment I felt I had to remove the quarter to see how bad it was. Man, what a pain in the _ _s. my first quarter panel removal was not a thing of beauty. The next day I removed the other quarter and the rear sheet metal. Every seam where there is an overlap there is rust so, an already overwhelming project just got worse.

Anyway, just curious how you guy's and gal's stay motivated on the long haul projects.

I can only drink so much beer.

Kim57 02-10-2007 10:07 AM

Hi American

Don't feel bad. I've had my piock up for over 14 years and it has never seen the road. Raising kids kept me fromworking on it. Now I try to do alittle each day. When I get frustrated with one part I will jump to something else on it. Reading the different forums and seeing what others have accomplished helps to keep me motivated.
Kim

FordMan1951 02-10-2007 10:13 AM

Looking at the pic you posted, in my mind I could see a great finished car. Those old Ramblers are cool car when done right. You look like you have a great one in the making.

Try stepping back and picturing the end results. Remember what got you started on it? It is like seeing the well at the end on the trail on a long desert hike.

PLEASE, keep plugging away. I want to see it finished.

FordMan1951 02-10-2007 10:16 AM

Just looked over your Journal... Man PLEASE keep it up. I LOVE the stance.

tfeverfred 02-10-2007 10:20 AM

Back in the day, I got a good deal on a 66 Mustang. It needed a little work to get where I wanted it, but something always came up to distract me. What I found out was hanging around guys who were buiding or owned a Mustang, really got me going. You get to share ideas and seeing someone elses completed car always helped to get me off my butt. One guy even offered to help me patch the rusted rear quarters. Sometimes, a nagging buddy can have the same effect as a nagging girlfriend or wife.

FordMan1951 02-10-2007 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just look at what you have done so far... I love it! :thumbup:

And just think... the welder mounted in the back window you can make those quick road side repairs easy. :P

FordMan1951 02-10-2007 10:43 AM

Let's go at this from another angle...

What the hick are you doing? How can you ruin all that cool petina? No RAT ROD is complete without a LOT of rust. You WERE shooting for a RAT ROD, right? :confused:

Just kidding... After all the FINE work under the skin, you HAVE to clean the outside. Just keep plugging away. Remember that the skin is only so deep and THAT car needs to be done RIGHT.

Rambo_The_Dog 02-10-2007 03:01 PM

"I resemble that remark..."

I haven't touched the 49 Hudson, other than to move it into its new home, in almost 1 full year!

I know the money I need to finish it has come and gone and I got shut-down working on it in the driveway at my old house...then it took another 6 months to find a place with a shop to buy and now - I have the killer shop and no money right now to buy parts!

But I still have some fabrication to do...think of it as the "cheap" stuff that you can DIY on ~ The rest is just spending money to bolt parts on!

pasadenahotrod 02-10-2007 03:19 PM

Wow, that photo sure doesn't show anything I would call serious or project-threatening. Take care of it, clean it up, weld it up, fix and paint it up and move on. What you're showing wouldn't make a rodder or restorer from England or maybe Ohio even slow down to take a breath.
Don't get excited.

Hippie 02-10-2007 04:07 PM

Rust?! Rust?! :eek: You call THAT rust ?! Man, you don't know what rust is..................... Make a trip to the Midwest, we'll show you REAL rust.

home brew 02-10-2007 04:41 PM

I can understand you being overwhelmed but just take a step back and look at all you have done in the last three years. Compared to that you don't have much left to do. Someone on this board once said something like - you shouldn't look at how big the project is and be overwhelmed. Look at it as a whole bunch of little projects that will eventually get done - one at a time. Good luck with the remaining work! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rambo_The_Dog 02-10-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippie
Rust?! Rust?! :eek: You call THAT rust ?! Man, you don't know what rust is..................... Make a trip to the Midwest, we'll show you REAL rust.

Here's some Sturgis, SD rustout for you...had to replace the entire trunk pan... fabricated by hand, since no one makes parts for mine either :evil: ...I know your pain :pain:

http://www.49c8.com/images/work/Trun...Rust_20med.jpg
http://www.49c8.com/images/work/Trun...Rust_21med.jpg
http://www.49c8.com/images/work/Trun...Final_8med.jpg

Hippie 02-10-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
Here's some Sturgis, SD rustout for you...had to replace the entire trunk pan... fabricated by hand, since no one makes parts for mine either :evil: ...I know your pain :pain:

http://www.49c8.com/images/work/Trun...Rust_20med.jpg

Yeah! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! :thumbup:

nissan 02-10-2007 06:44 PM

When I need motivation I go buy a new tool an practice using it on one of my projects. or I go out an find a deal on more parts, like today, a friend of mine stopped in to borrow a four-way to change some tires on some cars he was scrapping, one has a 9 inch ford rear, I ask him how much, he said I could have it. I hope he brings my four-way back.

Twisted Minis 02-10-2007 09:41 PM

That looks like an awesome project.

I've been balls deep in a big project for the last year. I got really burnt out at one pointed, and didn't even want to look at my truck. I just took some time away from the project, and did some things I wanted to do for myself. It had been about 10 months since I had spent any money on myself for anything other than clothes and shoes, which are necessities. So I bought some CDs, some magazines, and played my bass for about a month straight. Been back on the project like a madman ever since, like when I first started the build.