Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Projects for 2012 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/projects-2012-a-212357.html)

lt1silverhawk 01-12-2012 01:12 PM

Projects for 2012

What automotive projects do you guys have lined up that you are planning to complete in 2012?

Here's my wish list...

What I am planning (hoping) to complete by the end of spring:

- Garage: Organize it (yet again) for the last time. This time, focus on creating an actual work space that doesn't end up getting cluttered with crap in a few weeks. Sell off excess parts. Maybe try my luck at the Pomona Auto Swap meet and have some fun while I'm at it.

- Tools: Buy a drill press. Score a cheap oven or buy a pair of curing lamps and do more powder-coating. I'm limited to the size of parts I can powder coat because I have the small Harbor Freight oven. Learn to weld. I got the cheapie Harbor Freight Flux Wire welder and a stick welder for $20 each and really need to practice with them. At this point, I can probably do a better job of joining metal with super glue.

- '77 Chevy Truck: Need to finish the cooling system flush, trace and fix an oil leak, eliminate the power steering pump screeching, finally clean out the driver-side gas tank and set the timing (I haven't forgotten about it, Pugsy :sweat: ), change the front brakes that have also begun screeching to high heaven (great way to let everyone know I've arrived), trace and removed excess electrical doodads, and whatever else may come up.

-'96 Z28: Fix the oil pan plug leak . Replace the convertible top. Do a complete tune up, namely the O2 sensors. Flush the cooling system. Get it smogged and registered. Enjoy it this spring and summer whenever possible.

- '95 Impala SS: Rebuild or replace the transmission. Learn to degree a cam and get the computer properly tuned. Ditch the 3.90 gears and drop in some 3.73s. Replace/upgrade all suspension components. Or put it up for sale and, if no one buys it, part it out.

Things I'd like to be able to accomplish this year (in no specific order):

- Learn to rebuild a 4L60e transmission for my '95 Impala SS. I've already picked up the ATSG books and a DVD . Just need to buy the tools.

- Learn to rebuild an engine, specifically a SBC. There is a motor sitting in my '84 Z28 and I have no clue as to its condition. Doesn't even start. I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for a hands-on tear down, inspection and rebuild. Got David Vizard's book and Boxwrench's "Basic Engine Building" DVD for starters. Verify that the engine is indeed a 383. Also make my first visit to the local machine shop.

- Learn how to cc, port and flow-test heads. Speaking of which, Vizard has a new book coming out February 15th called "David Vizard's How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" which I am thinking of picking up. Other suggestions always welcome.

- Rebuild another Q-Jet just because. Though I do have an Edlebrock that needs to be put back together.

- Go to the track and do more photography . Unfortunately, due to work schedule, I may not be able to go to Irwindale this spring and summer for the weekly Thursday Night Thunder events. And it is the closest track for me. I will definitely keep looking for more random photos to take. Hope you guys do too.

- Maybe take a shot at doing body work. The truck could sure use some. Come to think of it, every car I've got could use some.

- Learn to fab up my own tools and parts. I figure once I get that drill press and and become proficient at welding, I should have more confidence in such projects.

- Participate in the Hotrodders Art contests.

- Win a race.

- Get the '84 Z28 running, hitch it to the truck, tow it to Irwindale or California Speedway and make a pass or two.

- And whatever else I can't think of...

Well, there's my overwhelming list. At least it'll give me something to look forward and ream about while keeping me out of trouble.

So, what have you got planned?

MARTINSR 01-12-2012 02:41 PM

All I want is pretty simply, very easy but will be gratifying as heck. And that would be to finish my 65 Gran Sport and get it the heck out of there over to my sons so he can enjoy it. Then put in the garage the cab from my Truck and start working on it, that is all I ask. If I pull that off I will be happy.

Brian

Centerline 01-12-2012 04:42 PM

Well, we're moving to Texas this spring so my first priority is building a detached 3 car garage / workshop. Then we'll get started on the new house which will have an attached 3 car garage (for parking). Will be pretty busy for the next 18 months or so.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

matts37chev 01-12-2012 05:02 PM

I will be content, if I continue to work on my 37 through out the whole year
so far it has been a winter only project
if I can get it far enough, to get the body off before spring, i think I will have a good chance

lt1silverhawk 01-12-2012 10:40 PM

Hey Brian,
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
All I want is pretty simply, very easy but will be gratifying as heck. And that would be to finish my 65 Gran Sport and get it the heck out of there over to my sons so he can enjoy it. Then put in the garage the cab from my Truck and start working on it, that is all I ask. If I pull that off I will be happy.

Brian

I sure hope you post some pics of the GS when its done. What does it need to get done?

Hey Centerline,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
Well, we're moving to Texas this spring so my first priority is building a detached 3 car garage / workshop. Then we'll get started on the new house which will have an attached 3 car garage (for parking). Will be pretty busy for the next 18 months or so.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

Wow, moving there and then building the house sounds like quite the challenge. Suddenly my own list looks like a walk in the park :pain: Good luck Sir! :thumbup:

Hey Matt,
Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
I will be content, if I continue to work on my 37 through out the whole year
so far it has been a winter only project
if I can get it far enough, to get the body off before spring, i think I will have a good chance

Well, not that you've cleared off the space to work, I figure the motivation comes along very quickly :thumbup:

MARTINSR 01-12-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Hey Brian,

I sure hope you post some pics of the GS when its done. What does it need to get done?

Just bolt it together for goodness sakes! It was painted three years ago! The only thing that will be real work at this point is restoring the conv top assy, everything else is just bolting it together.

Brian

lt1silverhawk 01-13-2012 08:30 AM

Wow! Its been sitting around for a while then. I've seen a few posts on your Rambler, I think you're just down to finishing touches on that right?

MARTINSR 01-13-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Wow! Its been sitting around for a while then. I've seen a few posts on your Rambler, I think you're just down to finishing touches on that right?

I have every excuss in the book to not get it done....baseball season for instance. :drunk: I was doing the same thing with the Rambler then marathoned it for a month and got it on the road. All the Buick needs is simple assembly just bolting all the chrome and interior in and putting the front fenders back and hood back on, they are all painted. It just blows me away at the lack of modivation I have. There was a time, I am not kidding you, not exaggerating one bit I would have painted that car on Wednesday and had it put together by Saturday morning for the Goodguys show! I am NOT kidding. But these days, after a long day at work I just don't feel like it. So that is why my projects for 2012 is so modest. If I can get that car put back together and my truck in the garage being worked on I will be THRILLED! If I do that by June, great, but if it's done by the end of the year I will be happy.

Brian

matts37chev 01-13-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have every excuss in the book to not get it done....baseball season for instance. :drunk: I was doing the same thing with the Rambler then marathoned it for a month and got it on the road. All the Buick needs is simple assembly just bolting all the chrome and interior in and putting the front fenders back and hood back on, they are all painted. It just blows me away at the lack of modivation I have. There was a time, I am not kidding you, not exaggerating one bit I would have painted that car on Wednesday and had it put together by Saturday morning for the Goodguys show! I am NOT kidding. But these days, after a long day at work I just don't feel like it. So that is why my projects for 2012 is so modest. If I can get that car put back together and my truck in the garage being worked on I will be THRILLED! If I do that by June, great, but if it's done by the end of the year I will be happy.

Brian

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyo...ls-211456.html.... see post #12 ^^^^^^^this is what is being refered to :thumbup:

35terraplane 01-13-2012 12:49 PM

Projects for 2012

Well one of my projects is to not break my leg this year, so I can get my 33 over to the body shop and finish it and paint it.

Get my shoulder belts in my 46 Ford so I can put a new headliner in it and carpet.

And when I get done each night sit down and have a cold beer. :D :cool:

Centerline is a three car shop big enough? :sweat: :sweat:

Hawk You should take a class for welding, they don't cost that much and you will learn the right stuff. :thumbup:

Bob

lt1silverhawk 01-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyo...ls-211456.html.... see post #12 ^^^^^^^this is what is being refered to :thumbup:

I seeee :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Well one of my projects is to not break my leg this year, so I can get my 33 over to the body shop and finish it and paint it.

Get my shoulder belts in my 46 Ford so I can put a new headliner in it and carpet.

And when I get done each night sit down and have a cold beer. :D :cool:

Sounds like a good list. Lots of good health to you and your wife this year :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Hawk You should take a class for welding, they don't cost that much and you will learn the right stuff. :thumbup:

Bob

Bob, I have been wanting to take welding and automotive classes at the local community colleges for a few years now but, unfortunately, due to my work schedule it just never works out. I may have to invest in a few good books (recommendations welcome) and just practice away for now.

The closest thing I had to training was a couple years when I made deal with a guy to teach me how to weld for some parts I was selling. He probably spent about an hour with me, having me do the had moons and what not. The lesson came to an end quickly because the fuse kept blowing out. At least I wasn't too nervous to handle a welder after that.

MARTINSR 01-13-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

This is the thing, I'm not even doing this work every day anymore and haven't for three years, I'm in the office now. But after a hard days work, and I mean HARD. MUCH, MUCH harder than working on cars. Believe it or not, people who haven't done it will laugh, but I tell you from experience, it's MUCH harder than working on cars.

I get home and I am beat. But that can be overcome like I did it with the Rambler. And I will, I do have drive, I am going to have that car done by summer.

I want to create again, I want to do my truck really bad. So I WILL get that Buick done by summer.

Brian

whyholdback 01-13-2012 02:23 PM

Second transmission I ever rebuilt was the 4L60E out of my '95 Z28 convertible. I used TCI's best kit, and it turned out great! My first was an '84 700R-4, using a B&M Super TransKit, and during that one I fabricated a few custom tools. I think I still have them, somewhere.
With your Impala SS having 255/50R17 tires, I'd definitely keep the 3.90:1 gears.

I'm building a custom class 3 hitch in the trunk of my '84 Trans Am, then a gooseneck on the shelf behind the back seat. Since the axle and gas tank both have to come out, my measurements suggest that I can use a SRW 1-ton axle with DRW wheels on 215/65R16 or 205/65R16 tires, and leave off the outer pair of rear wheels most of the time. When they're on, Dzus up some flares. That needs to be ready for the car show on the weekend of July 4th. Then SFCs need to be tied in somehow, then a cage with swing-out door bars. That cage won't get the rear X, but will get tied into both hitches. Actual capacity should be 6K.
I'm tied up until mid-February, but then progress can commence.

lt1silverhawk 01-23-2012 10:06 AM

Update: 1-23-2012

Well, having bought a drill press last week, I can now take that off my list of projects for this year.

Began cleaning up the garage this past week to create a more organized work space. Work is slow but some progress is better than none. Been using MARTINSR's fantastic thread on organization as a guide: "Quick organization of tools in your garage pays off!". I am especially motivated in organizing my tool cart to hold just the tools I need.

I do see myself rebuilding another Q-Jet as soon as the garage space is organized. Already have a core. I'll try to do a better job of documenting everything this time. I wasn't too please with some of pictures I took the first time.

I am still split about what to do with the '95 Impala SS that is on the list. A part of me wants to hold on to it because I really like the car and would like to be able to rebuild the transmission and test it out. A part of me wants to sell it off because it will end up costing a bit to get it running just right: transmission rebuild ($1500), complete suspension upgrades to handle the power of the 383 ($2000), degreeing the camshaft ($250 - $300, getting the PCM tuned properly[$450, smog, registration. And if I rebuild the transmission and do a good job, the car itself would make a nice advertisement for yet another skill learned. I sure wouldn't mind doing basic rebuilds on the side.

If it comes down to selling it off, I am again split between selling it off as is, or parting it out. I am currently leaning more towards parting it out because that will probably bring in more money than selling it as is. The 383 LT1 could easily make its way into a future project, or the '96 Z28 I have now. I just hate to take this car apart, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd be guilty of such a thing.

Im thinking: put it for sale as is for two weeks. If no reasonable offers are put forward, part it out.

Decisions decisions...

Anyone else got any updates on their projects for this year? Maybe some new ones added to the list?

NEW INTERIORS 01-23-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
Well, we're moving to Texas this spring so my first priority is building a detached 3 car garage / workshop. Then we'll get started on the new house which will have an attached 3 car garage (for parking). Will be pretty busy for the next 18 months or so. [/I]

Centerline didn't you just build your house ???? :drunk:

Sounds like your trying to get a little closer to me ... :mwink: :thumbup: