Propane - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Propane

Hoping someone could help a guy out. My brother has a 1979 Ford 1/2 ton pickup with a 400 and a 4 spd. It weighs prolly over 5000 lbs cuz it has a heavy flatbed on it. This pickup is a beat around truck used for hunting and doesnt see much over 4500 rpm. The 400 is run on propane and it is time for an overhaul. I was wondering of what kind of cam we could run for some low speed torque and some other helpful power hints by running propane. Maybe a more general question of how can we get some decent power out of this propane burner. Hope this question isnt too broad?! Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Wink

my advise would be to put what is called an industrial cam in it it will provide the low end your looking for and has no rough idle . ive put a lot of these in older farm trucks for some of the local farmers around here and they have really been impressed with the extra tourqe they get
Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Propane loves compression. If you are running strictly propane, I'd bump the compression, some. Make it a little meaner huntin' rig.
Don't forget stelite, or better valves, and hardened seats. Propane is very dry, and will cause valve seat recession, if the proper steps aren't taken.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

propane

His 400 M is a 79 block so it has hardened valve seats, so errosion shoudnt be a serious problem.
Id like to know what the optimum compression ratio would be for running propane. The stock 79 400 has a compression of 8:1.
The cam is a 192/198 degree, .427/433" lift and a 110 degree lobe separation. This is to my knowledge, the only cam that was put in the 400M, and for industrial use, it was advanced quite a bit for the lower rpm torque improvement.

The biggest problem with the Cleveland valve is that they are a two piece unit and using hi tension valve springs has a tendency to pull the head off of the stem. going with stainless one piece valves is definately a benefit, both in engine longevity and valve life, itself.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM

I'll agree that the factory hardened valve seats normally hold up to moderate use on propane but I would replace them with hard seat if there is any sign of seat recession. You never know how deep the factory hardening goes.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

hardened seats

Not sure about other brands but, when Ive had hardened seats replaced in Ford engines (not a common event), the seat is a special hardened steel ring which is press fit into a seat that is cut around the throat of the runner. These seats are about 1/4" X 1/4" X 1 3/4" OD X 1 1/2" ID on a small block ford.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

What kind of propane carburetor does the truck have on it? There are some models that are pretty restrictive and tend to kill the power. I would recommend running at least a 425 impco or M&M's(Ak Miller's ex wife owns the company) better version. On your cam stay small duration and higher lift, (basically an RV cam) I had a truck with a 108* cam that ran pretty well. Propane likes a lot of initial timing(16*) and will work better with higher compression (as a couple have already recommended) I wouldnt go higher than 11:1. I have had several of these engines(351m-400) on propane and didnt have any problems with the stock exhaust seats (100,000+ miles).

If your wanting alot of low end you might want to think about putting a 460 in in place of the 400. It is a pretty common swap. There are more parts available for the 460. If not I seem to remember 4jaw had a 400 he made into a decent runner.

Hope this helps

John

Last edited by propaniac; 12-21-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:32 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Here is a little discussion a few weeks ago on the subject.
http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...hlight=Propane

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.