Proper Way to Store Newly Rebuilt Cylinder Heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Proper Way to Store Newly Rebuilt Cylinder Heads

I'm going to be putting my SBC heads back together soon and they may not be fired up for 6-12 months while I get the block finished and installed. Should I just coat the valve stems in oil? What about the valves and seats? Moly lube, oil, something else or nothing? They'll be stored inside. I searched the threads here and couldn't find any information for this particular issue. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I like spraying them down with Marvel Mystery Oil. It adheres much better than WD-40. WD-40 works great if you remember to recoat it every week or so, but that can be a PITA over time. It also helps to place them in a heavy plastic bag (a contractor garbage bag works well) and then place them on a thick sheet of rubber to prevent them from being grounded.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

AP gave good advice. In a pinch I`ll get a small trash bag, spray the inside down with WD40, the tie the bag around the head. When you go to use the heads it would be wise to relube them as over time the lube can dry out.
It was some years back we had a set of heads overhauled with new guides, valves, the works. But due to winter, and lack of funds to finish on my friends part, the heads sat at the machinists shop many months before they were used. I called him and asked him to relube them as we would be picking them up in a few days, he assured me he would. Make a long story short, he didn`t. The exhaust valve in the number 2 cylinder seized in the guide from lack of lube. In another incident. I took my Vortec block to the machine shop, he mic`d it and said it was .001, I said fine, hone it and I`ll run it. Since he`s always did good work, I didn`t check the bores when I got it back. which proved to be a costly mistake.
The rings never seated and it smoked like a steam train. I got the heads off and checked the bores and found them at 4.009. How in the world he honed them that far out is still a mystery to me. So I learned a lesson, no matter who does it, always check afterwards, the one time you don`t is the time you get bit.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I oil mine down real good and then wrap them in clear plastic and go around them real good with some duct tape. JMO

Cole
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Spray the bare metal surfaces with Rust Check or engine storage spray.

WD-40 will show flash rust on bare metal after about 10 days.
not good.

http://www.rustcheck.com You'll find lots of uses for this stuff.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

If your going to put them in a bag then you might consider getting all the trapped air out of the bag. That trapped air can condensate water from the air when the temp changes. You can combat this by emptying a can of computer duster (nitrogen and very dry) into the bag before closing it up.

I would just sit them on the ends in a dry place in the corner, cover em up so they don't get dusty but do not seal the bag. You do not want to trap moist air in there.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.