Proportioning Valve - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Proportioning Valve

On my '37 Ford coupe I have power disc brakes in front and drums in rear. If I hit the pedal too hard the rear wheels lock up. There is no proportioning valve, and I think that is the problem. If so, is it as easy as it looks to install one of the universal adjustable proportioning valves? Looks like I would simply cut and double reflare the brake line to rear wheels and screw the line into the valve. Is that about it? What do I need to check to be sure the brakes work right after the valve is installed? I'm looking at a Willwood valve. Any comments are appreciated. Is there a recommended psi number to shoot for?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The installation is simple enough just put it where you can reach it from the driver position. Only way i know to set one is to try it starting at a slow speed say about 20mph and adjust it to get the brake bias right and then try it at higher speeds. the ideal is that if you need to dynamite the brakes at 80 on the freeway the car stays straight while stopping..

Sam
Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Proportioning Valve

Sam, thank you for the reply. However, it is not possible to put it where you suggest, but I will be able to adjust if needed as you describe.
Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I don't think you need to put it within reach of the driver, just mount it somewhere protected from road debris and you can reach it without too much hassle. Under the hood is fine.

Start your adjustment process with full pressure to the rears and test at low speeds in a gravel lot. That makes it easy to see which end is locking up first. As speed and confidence increase move to a paved parking lot and then to the road. Make sure to test at freeway speeds when you think you are done to see how it does at speed. Also remember that Wilwood proportioning valves operate so turning the knob out (counter clockwise) reduces rear braking, and turning it in (clockwise) increases it.

Andy
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

This is how I mounted mine - the photo makes it look close to the exhaust hanger, it isn't. It's well protected and easy to reach - as long as you are laying on the ground . It should only require a couple of attempts to get it right but it usually will "fix" lock up:

(and before anyone asks, that flex fuel line is gone now as well, replaced w/SS tubing)

Dave W

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.