Proportioning valve and steering box question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacuff1414 View Post
What is a JY prop valve? If I could get away with not using anything but a T, I would. You guys are saying it's a MUST to use some type of prop valve? Why are some other car guys I've been talking to saying I don't need one at all? My buddy that's been helping me out with my rat rod is building a 47' ford truck with disc brakes and said it came from the factory without any kind of prop valve. Why would I have to have one?
Not to sure why your asking here if your buddy know's.. Coming here asking for help and not taking what is told to you is something else.. Don't try to re-invent the wheel here...Do what you feel you must do.. I said way more then I should have...I'm done here.. Good luck.. Remember your life and other people's lives are on the line here..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

JY = Junkyard

You don't necessarily need a metering valve to keep the front from applying too soon, or a prop valve to keep the back from locking up .
A well balanced braking system can be easy but it wont be as simple as a just putting in a "T" for the brakes.
The metering valve is mostly for wet or Icy conditions to keep the fronts from activating too much and too soon, which could cause a spinout as someone mentioned before.
Also the rear brakes generally take about 25 percent of the braking pressure to activate the brakes compared to the pressure to activate enough clamping force on the front disc brakes to create an equal (or close ) amont of friction to create equalstopping force.
Do what you want, when or if it doesn't pan out , you can come back to the thread and reference it for any trouble you may have.
The combination block has the prop valve built in, and a safety valve, in the event that one set of brakes goes bad it shuttles the inner valve to block the system that has failed to allow the other system to remain functional. A safety thing.Kind of a good thing.
Do your homework on your braking system. Then get busy. Its best to understand how it works, so you can make the right choices.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

I only came here for further advice about my situation and to figure out why I'm getting different answers about it. Thanks for all the info and advice, I'll probably look for an adjustable prop valve or metering valve and try it out.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Valves

Call several different brake system manufacturers and ask them for advice. They do it for a living. The braking advice I've seen here is scary. Fact is I probely wont give any more advice at all on brakes, would hate to be the cause of a problem. Joe blows system and your system are two different things. What worked on one might not work on another. I say call several because there are some fly by night guys out there, go to established buisneses. Like was said your life is on the line along with your family.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again for all the advice.

Is there a certain adjustable proportional valve I need, or would all
function the same no matter which one I was to get? I noticed Wilwood
was a popular choice...
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacuff1414 View Post
I only came here for further advice about my situation and to figure out why I'm getting different answers about it. Thanks for all the info and advice, I'll probably look for an adjustable prop valve or metering valve and try it out.
This is the internet after all. I've learned to look at all the responses, whittle those down to the top couple consistent replies, then research those further away from the forum...

Russ
Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i use the s10 brake system on many . if you do not put a valve in you will regret it. your using an s10 frame why not use the correct brake system . a system with no valve is one hard stop away from disaster .
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
i use the s10 brake system on many . if you do not put a valve in you will regret it. your using an s10 frame why not use the correct brake system . a system with no valve is one hard stop away from disaster .
I'll definitely get one. My brake booster is off a Ford Ranger (only used it
because I got it free from a friend). I figured with the trucks being about
the same size and all that it wouldn't matter. From what everyone is saying
it's looking like an adjustable valve would work best. I can easily get one
off a Ford Ranger though.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

you can pick up a complete s10 system for 20 bucks or so . i use the pedal and all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s10 brakes.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	121281  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
you can pick up a complete s10 system for 20 bucks or so . i use the pedal and all.
Where??? I've been to junkyards around here and they want 60-100 dollars for just the brake booster and master!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i have a couple of guys who collect and crush . every time they get an s10 i get the brakes and the steering column . i pay 20 bucks for the brake system. 20 for the column. i dont shop at salvage yards , they want way too much. they sell parts. my guys sell scrap steel.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i have a couple of guys who collect and crush . every time they get an s10 i get the brakes and the steering column . i pay 20 bucks for the brake system. 20 for the column. i dont shop at salvage yards , they want way too much. they sell parts. my guys sell scrap steel.
Gotcha. I'm going to keep looking around for an s10 system then.
I'll just switch it out with the ranger one I have on there and used
a proportioning valve and booster from an s10 if I can find one.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.