Proportions oppinions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: A little progress and maybe new paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Proportions oppinions

My scratch build has been put on hold for a truck that I picked up at a very reasonable price. I have been doing some planning/measuring before cutting a thing and wanted to get some constructive thoughts. This is me playing around with the poprtions to get everything where I think it looks good. The bed is one area that I am undecided on, length wise. I don't like how long it is now, but don't want it really short either so this where I put it. Thanks for all thoughts.

Josh

As purchased-

Photo shop-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

I think the bed needs to be a little longer, not much, and the rear wheel centered. To me it just ends to close there. Every thing else looks good.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, keep em coming. I am open to other people's ideas cause it makes me think. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

Try shifting the whole wheelbase forward. IMHO, the centerline of the front axle would look best at the centerline of the radiator/grill. Once you get the front located and are happy with the wheelbase dimension, then size the bed so it is centered on the rear axle like Underground said.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Based on the suggestions you guys gave I did this, this morning and I definitely like it better. The bed is not really any longer just looks so with the wheel base shifted forward to center the wheels. Let me know what y'all think. So far the thoughts helped me out in getting what I would really like down. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

That looks alot better. I thought it might look funny sliding the rear wheel forward. Kinda make the rear look to stubby an make the cab look to far back, thats why I didnt suggest it, but it works. I like.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I fiddled with it a bit today. Sectioned the body, more chop top, moved the engine forward a bit to allow rear distributor, smaller front tire, moved the rear tire a bit. Just another possible way to look at it.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Inset the firewall and allow the motor to set back farther. Better weight ratio.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

CBoy that looks real mean, and I may run that much of a channel. I was looking at a four inch channel on the body, but the bed was only about an inch. I do like the look, i would have to do some real world math to determine what ride hieght that either of ours would get to. I just didn't want too low. Need at least 4 inch lowest ground clearance. Just to make it easy to drive, I opted for more with less of a channel. I am not worried about the headroom in the truck as the roof allows for a lot of head room, so we will see. Thanks for the visual work, I respect your work and am glad you chimmed in.

i do agree with underground though. This truck has a factory recess and that 4" to the back will help with weight transfer so I am going to keep the engine set back.This picture is a bad one but you can see the dark area in the middle of the firewall is set back a few inches.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas97z
... This truck has a factory recess and that 4" to the back will help with weight transfer so I am going to keep the engine set back.
Makes sense, I was just trying to anticipate the jamb some builders get into when they use a rear-of-block distributor and don't plan for it ahead of time. And you are certainly right about proper planning for ride height and scrub line. I'm just doing the easy part in offering up some visual ideas...and leaving all the difficult engineering work to YOU .
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Keep it long and low...short wheelbase lowered vehicle look funny
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

Aww, c'mon CBoy. Don't you want to fly down to Texas and help for free??? Just kidding ofcourse. The main thing I am actually still trying to figure out will have to be one of those, "when I get there" fixes. The front pillars have this really cool curvature right below them that I may(will) have to cut up to line them back up with the roof. I really want to put it back in so I will have to figure that one out. Otherwise the chop should go pretty good, not too terribly difficult.

Jim- thanks for your oppinion. I will say though if you are suggesting leaving the bed length stock, I have to disagree. That is not the look I am going for on this truck. An inch or two difference to get correct visual proportions, absolutely. But adding that extra 14" or so I cut out, I don't think so, I didn't like it. I did not start out cutting the bed. I lowered it down to about the stance and then looked at it and decided to cut a lot(but not as much as some) out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.