pros and cons of fuel pumps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pros and cons of fuel pumps

Can somebody give me some pros and or cons of Hi performance mechanical vs electric fuel pumps.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 PM

There is no reason to run an electrical pump if a mechanical meets your flow and pressure reqiurements. Electrical pumps can be very noisy and prone to overheat in hot conditions. Mechanical pumps are typically bulletproof for many, many miles.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

some people have to run e -pumps because of the block..most later model 350 blocks do not have the provisins for a mechinal pump...as well as the later model fords..but the fords can be changed by useing a different year model front cover..and even some cams now on a chevy do not have the fule pump lobe on them...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

I just changed over to an electric Holley Blue pump with regulator. I was running a carter high volume mechanical. I found with the carter the fuel pressure would drop to aprox 3 psi when I was at the top of 3rd gear and would pretty much hold that pressure through 4th gear. With the electric pump I'm at 6-7 psi and it does not vary from there. Personally, I am more comfortable with the electric pump as I have way more fuel pressure at higher rpm. It does seem to pull better in 3rd and 4th but I can't say for sure if its faster as i don't have #'s to compare. It's a little noisy at idle but once your moving you can't hear it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys, I was just curious as it has been a few years since I've done any of this and I have to replace a Stock pump on suburban with built 350, bored over with an edelbrock 750 and noticed quite a difference in $.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Use a mechanical pump on the suburban, you never know when it may go bad, I wouldn't want to be waiting for a mail order electric pump to be delivered when I'm stuck in Mayberry with a bad fuel pump. JMO
Old 07-22-2005, 07:50 AM

I just switched from a Holley red electric to a Holley 110 gph mechanical. My concerns were mostly from the safety aspect. The pump was on the car when I bought it, mounted in the engine compartment on the inner fender. When I redid the car, I mounted on the frame rail back near the tank, with a fram filter between it and the tank. I had it wired to "on" position of the key, but no safety shutoff. ie: oil pressure sender?. So I decided to go mechanical, and eliminate my worry. The electric was great for priming the carb as I just did a cam swap Moral is, if you do go with an electric, make sure it is wired with the appropriate gauge wire, and there is some sort of safety shutoff if something were to happen.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

fACTORY CLUE

Take a clue from the factory. Somehow they managed to feed the high winding Z-28 302, the LS-6 454, the awesome 427 ZL-1, etc. with mechanical fuel pumps! I too recently recovered from my bad case of me-too-itis and switched from a Holley Blue Electric with regulator that would NEVER hold steady pressure to a Edelbrock high flow street mechanical pump that holds the pressure steady at 6 lbs. with no fluctuations or the annoying noise. You also don't have the safety issue with an electric pump running on in case of an accident. JMHO.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.