Hot Rod Forum banner

PROS & CONS ON PERTRONEX

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  yragat 
#1 ·
Any one using pertronex distributor? I can get a deal on one,but don't know much about them, would a pertronix ready to run be comparable to a msd ready to run?

#3 ·
Which Pertronix? Most are just an electronic trigger in a stock-type distributor. Most MSD systems have a distributor, the amplifier box and a hot coil. The Pertronix system is a good improvement over points, but it is not a high performance system like most MSDs are.

thnx, jack vines

#4 ·
Pertronix Inc.
Pertronix
Pertronix D100711
Billet Distributor Chevy SB/BB red cap (male)
Qty

Pertronix D100711 Billet Distributor Chevy SB/BB red cap (male)
Pertronix D100711 Billet Distributor
Fits small and big block Chevrolet with standard deck height
Pertronix billet distributors combine maximum ignition performance with easy installation and an affordable price. The CNC machined and polished housing of 6061 T6 aluminum contains an Ignitor II electronic ignition module. There are no points to burn out or change and no adjustments are ever needed. It comes from the factory with a performance advance curve and additional springs are provided for designing custom advance curves. The high dielectric strength cap and rotor have solid brass contacts and this distributor is smog legal in all 50 states.
Red cap, male posts
Vacuum advance
Pertronix D100711 Billet Distributor Chevy SB/BB red cap (male)

#10 · (Edited)
PROS - They work. CONS - Or they don't...period. I have an Ignitor II unit in the distributor of my 345 Hemi (6V Positive ground), and it works beautifully with my Stock 6V coil. I switched from dual points because, even though I can pull the entire distributor out to do points/condenser, it's still a Bear to have to do it with the distributor buried at the rear of the engine...

#12 · (Edited)
yragat,
what dist is on the motor now???
a HEI is plenty more good than needed for most street motors....
has way more than enough Volts and Amps capability for a intense long lasting spark...
yes, if the dist body is worn out (cent plate/gear/bearings/etc) you need a new or quality rebuilt HEI...

my $.02:
Pertronix "I" module is time tested to be reliable when installed correctly(!!!!)...
(with the 1.5 ohms ballast resistor and 1.5ohms primary coil resistance limiting the amps to approx 3-4A worth heat generated in the module,,, that the very small heat sink base mount surface area can dissapate,,,it does fine)

I'm not a solid state EE but feared the Pertronix II module could have a short life because it is operating at higher volts and amps without a ballast resistor with the same base surface area...

HEI has 4 times(?) the base mount surface area to lose heat and even they do crap out....

"however"
I have been "torture testing" a Pertronix I module with 14V and only a .7 ohm Crane ballast resistor and .7 ohm primary resistance Jacobs coil (about 8 amps) for 2 years?
it's doing fine...
so my reasoning may well be totally wrong...

Pertronix has been engineering and making oem ign modules for many many years (fork lifts/ind motors/generators/etc)

many of Pertronix dealers offer a 3 YEAR(!!!!) free module replacement policy!!!

none of the others are close to that.....

yragat,
you need to confirm that your coil primary ohms is a match to that Ignitor II coil...

xxllmm4,
coils primary resistance can be as low as .3ohms or .4ohms and that could be why they died,,,to many amps/too much heat!!!

Attachments

#13 ·
This is the coil they recomend with the dist I'm getting. Flame-Thrower II coils feature a super low resistance which make them the ideal coil for Ignitor II ignition systems as well as many other high energy ignitions. Low resistance and improved turns ratio help to produce up to 45,000 volts. This higher voltage enables you to run larger spark plug gaps for added power and better fuel economy.

Flame-Thrower II 45,000 Volt Canister CoilsThese coils are also compatible with most capacitive discharge boxes including our own Second Strike.
Features

* 45,000 volts
* Available chrome plated or black for that "stock look".
* For use with inductive or CD ignition systems.
* Super low 0.6 Ohm primary resistance.

#14 · (Edited)
the 45,000volts is marketing nonsense except it can help judge expected coil life due to heat....

.045 plug gap needs roughly 16-18Kv to jump the gap and that is as high as the voltage is going to go...

CRS=I think that coil is a .8ohm(????) primary resistance, (from the pictures I would swear it is the old Jacob's "Energy Coil" with their sticker on it which is a good coil)
you can check it when you get it with a volt meter...

yeah, it's "super low" resistance compared to some "points" coils that are about 2.0+ohms....

suggestion:
pad and pen,,,,use your timing light and write down all the present timing readings in 500rpms increments starting at idle to 3500(?) both with and without vacuum advance....
for "base" reference values to dial the cent and vac advance in the new dist....

#15 ·
I bought one of summits "blueprinted" hei's I don't think they know what the word blueprinted means--it had .060 clearance between gear & housing,adjustable vac-can was defictive,had cheep *** weights,and pins are too short to put stock weights---It is JUNK!

#16 ·
here's a Kv versus gap chart...
1mm= approx .04

forgot to post:
if the plugs are a mess and soaked with liquid gas for some reason like flooding the motor,,,,the coil will continue to build to a higher Kv till it can jump the gap with higher resistance....
(so you do need Kv potential reserve capability)
(problem is there are no milli-amps left at high Kv to make a intense hot spark)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.