Pro's and Con's of Positraction? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Malibu73
Well, I was wondering what the benefits and disadvantages would be in a street car like my chevy malibu. I would be interested in putting it only on the rear wheels.

I'm not so clear on how the standard wheel drive works either. Is the car driven by only the right rear tire? I'm a little confused because up at my friends house we were burning out in his pontiac Lemans SS and the right rear tire would make all the smoke and be spinning like crazy and the left rear wouldn't.

But when we were in the gravel and he did a quick tap on the gas, the left tire spun too.
Malibu73, sounds like your questions were pretty well answered, but a couple more thoughts. Don't be too intimidated by oversteer with a posi - it's really not that big of a deal except in severely traction limited situations like snow and ice. Driving around day to day, it's just a slightly different feel in tight corners.

Also, your friend's right tire would light up because the driveshaft is applying torque to the rear end in a clockwise (looking from the front) direction, which is lifting the right tire and planting the left, causing the right to break free and spin, for all the reasons already explained. The dreaded pegleg usually shows up on the right for that reason.

Good Luck!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 01:30 PM

lock rite lockers

has anyone heard of these lockrite lockers http://www.tellico4x4.com/axle/lockers.htm

they are pretty cheep, 250 or so for most 10 bolt GM, and you dont have to mess with your gears, and no specail tools are required, i was thinking of installing one in the front of my 4x4fullsize jimmy, and in the rear of my 64 malibu, anyone know nething about these? they seem to be a cheaper version of a tru trac locker

my thinking with the 4x4 is that in 2wd it should drive normal, but when i put it in 4wheel, the front will lock up but thats ok cuz ill be in mud
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM

I had an old 62 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 a few years back with a Detroit Locker in it. It had the original (albeit rare) 261 six in it with a 4-speed and 4:56 gears. The engine was fantastic for a 4x4...it would idle down to 300 rpm and would grunt like no tomorrow.
I thought the locker would be the ultimate...until I took it up on the logging roads here in Washington State to get a Christmas tree one winter.
The SLIGHTEST spin of the rear end and it would "walk" right off the road. The front diff was doing its job; pulling and keeping the nose pointed the right direction. Thanks to the fact that it was a smooth-running six, as I was able to idle it down to almost not-running and get myself out. With a drop-off on one side, it presented quite the white-knuckle experience!
I went back home and immediately swapped the 3rd member out for an open variety.
After that, it was UN-stoppable in the boonies.
Granted, if you're only driving on totally flat roads, it's a moot point, but if you drive on icy roads with the SLIGHTEST crown to it...look out.

Just my .02

Rick in Auburn
Old 11-13-2004, 07:30 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:

just thought I might chime in here with a question... If you are considering the goal of maximum lateral G's in corners, both accelerating and letting off, which would be better: a posi or an open diff?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 PM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

Helical Gear type Limited Slip is the best for cornering.

Puts power to the outside wheel and if you lift, it behaves like an open differential which helps in dealing with oversteer.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

This is probably the greatest con with a posi.

They are nice up until this point though. Got to love it when the winter hits...

This came out of my El Camino which i've sold.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elcaminosposi.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	3045  
Old 11-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Hey guys i was just wandering if anyone could tell me if a factory posi out of a 70 chevy pickup would be as good as a eaton or an auburn unit as i am looking for one for my 68 c-10
Old 11-18-2004, 09:45 PM

The a 68 posi is esenually the same unit as the aftermarket eatons pieace how ever the aftermarket verson has a more beafed up carrier, spyder grears and a new type of clutch material thats alot more durable. That being said the original 68 posi carrier once rebuilt with new friction disks should servce you just fine as long as its not under heavy amuse,
Old 11-18-2004, 10:21 PM

yeah i just built a 406 for it and plan on taking it to the strip so i will need something that can withstand some torque
Old 11-19-2004, 11:26 PM

posi likie /nolikie

posi is great.... even spider locks are great .....if you don't have to drive them in everyday conditions..
my wife owns a 67 camaro , I didn't skimp on motor or trans about 425 -450 hp's but refuse to put any kind of lock up under it . I like the idea of her having 1 tire planted at all times .
now I've been known to drive a posi every day but you have to deal with the reality of driving the car like a sissy.and we all know how much fun it is to take a long curve with a posi that's not lubed right.and god forbid if you have to push a posi car around a turn...!!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:53 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
How expensive would positraction be for a '73 Malibu with a 700r4 innit?
About 5 6011's and two jugs of 80w90!

At least that's my favorite. I just love turning sharp in a paring lot and the tires go chirp, chirp, chirp

-ps- a posi more than doubles the avaliable traction... just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 PM

My first car was an '87 Caprice SEO (cop car) with, as I'm told, positraction. It was definitely slow going around curves in the snow & ice, but man it was fun in snow-covered parking lots & dirt roads in the summer time.

Anyway, I know very little about cars in general, so I've a few questions:

1) Is positraction considered a type of limited slip differential?
2) What, in your opinion, is the best choice for winter-time traction? What type of differential (is that the correct term? lol) would be best for maneuvering around icy, snowy city streets?

Right now, I have a '92 Grand Marquis and since a new car is out of the question, I'd like to give my current one some mobility in the snow. Suffice to say I get honked at sometimes when trying to get going & move through an intersection after having stopped at said intersection.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aegis
My first car was an '87 Caprice SEO (cop car) with, as I'm told, positraction. It was definitely slow going around curves in the snow & ice, but man it was fun in snow-covered parking lots & dirt roads in the summer time.

Anyway, I know very little about cars in general, so I've a few questions:

1) Is positraction considered a type of limited slip differential?
2) What, in your opinion, is the best choice for winter-time traction? What type of differential (is that the correct term? lol) would be best for maneuvering around icy, snowy city streets?

Right now, I have a '92 Grand Marquis and since a new car is out of the question, I'd like to give my current one some mobility in the snow. Suffice to say I get honked at sometimes when trying to get going & move through an intersection after having stopped at said intersection.
Yes posi traction is a type of limited slip, it was gm's term for it just like dodge called theirs sure grip. Your cheapest way to improve you traction is to get a used axle or carrier off a marquis or a crown vic and have it installed. If course the trade off as already mentioned will be more touchy handling as both rear wheels will brake loose if not gental with the trottle in corners etc. This is a trade of will almost all traction aids how ever factory type limited slips are for the most part the most forgiving.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Having a posi track in my truck which has NO weight in the back end, it can be kinda scary. Hotrodding it is fun but i spin tires on accident alot too. In the rain i dont even drive it. Everytime i get on the gas when its wet i completely lose control. Other than that its fun leaving 2 strips of rubber when all my buddies only do 1.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aegis
I'd like to give my current one some mobility in the snow. Suffice to say I get honked at sometimes when trying to get going & move through an intersection after having stopped at said intersection.
Three Words: Studded Snow Tires. I ran them on my Caprice through one bad winter, and my mom has run them on her Caprice every winter for the last ten years. Both cars have open rears. They really make a difference on snow and ice.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.