Pro's and Con's of Positraction? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 08:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have a few questions about posi. They might have already been answered, but just want a better understanding. Thanks

1. my 85 gmc is used as a daily driver pickup. Which would be better for it, posi or limited slip? Im looking for something with a quick start and nice burnouts.
2. My axles are probley from 85, should i replace them or will they be fine. They have suffered alot of with only one wheel spinning.
3. Which brand of posi/limited slip would be the most easiest to install? Ill be the one installing it.

My rear end is a 8.5, 28 spline. Also i want to keep my 3.73 gears.

Thank for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

You know how Kleenex is just a brand name for a type of facial tissue?

Thats how the name Positraction is to limited slip differentials.

The easiest way to install one is to swap out the entire rear axle with another one that has it in there. Otherwise you risk an opportunity to learn all sorts of details about shimming and how it relates to ring and pinion gears. Takes an experienced hand to do it right and avoid whining or excessive wear from the gears.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by dmc12mk3
You know how Kleenex is just a brand name for a type of facial tissue?

Thats how the name Positraction is to limited slip differentials.

The easiest way to install one is to swap out the entire rear axle with another one that has it in there. Otherwise you risk an opportunity to learn all sorts of details about shimming and how it relates to ring and pinion gears. Takes an experienced hand to do it right and avoid whining or excessive wear from the gears.
I have to agree with you and for my boys 4x4 we got a front and rear axle set with posi rear and the 4.10's we wanted for $175 the set. but I keep reading about EZ lockers and power trax that install in the place of the spiders I believe and they say there is no disruption of the ring and pinion settings and no need to shim or change anything. What the thouht on these options. Ed ke6bnl
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dmc12mk3
...shimming and how it relates to ring and pinion gears. Takes an experienced hand to do it right and avoid whining or excessive wear from the gears.
I'm certainly not an experienced hand, but I'd like to get to know how to do it...other than simply starting to play with them (I haven't the resources to play with rear ends like that) how would I go about learning this stuff? Any good books/resources/manuals or something to start off with?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I'd replaced my spidergears and such my first try sucessfully.... though i was only 16 at the time I put a Power-trak in my El Camino when the posi fried... it was going fine till i learned the hard way why reving your motor to 6500 in neutral and then slamming it into L1 wasn't a good idea (shredded the trans)

As long as you know how to follow directions you should be fine, if you can find it Horse Power TV did an episode where the put one in a car...

Eric
Old 01-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:

I've only read the first page of replys. My appologies if this has already been addressed.

How can you tell what kind of diff you have without opening it up? The guy I bought my blazer from said it had a locker in the rear but when it is lifted up the tires still spin in opposite directions. Do posi's behave this way? I know opens behave this way and I thought that lockers do not. The limited slip in my Firebird will allow me to spin one wheel without the other moving when in the air. I heard from another person (who is usually just talking out of his ***) that a locker (maybe a posi) will behave like an open when in the air but if one tire is held, the other will be locked in with it. This is the scenerio with my Blazer. I no longer have a vehicle with a known open diff to test how it behaves in this situation.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I'll find out when I have time to read this post tonight.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

I don't know if they all do it, but mine does and I know it is a posi 'cause I've had it open. If I spinn them faster then they lock together. If your Blazer is the 4x4 model, I heard they all had posi's.

Dave
Old 06-04-2005, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
In a nose heavy car on icy streets, a posi will pull you to the lowest part of the street. You will follow the curb and gutter till you get to an intersection then after the intersecyion its back to the gutter again. The rear slides to the lowest point or till there is traction enuff to push the front wheels. One morning in January many years ago I experienced this strange happening. Three day old big block Nova with factory tires, on city streets, in a Michigan ice storm. Walking would have been faster.
Had this experience too with posi traction, so I can attest it can be a real problem. With three or four hundred pounds of weight in the trunk the posi transforms from a slip-and-slide mobile to a get-up-and-go machine!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

Oops double post

Last edited by Old School Nut; 06-04-2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: double post
Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

I dunno about that, I drive a 66 chevy year round through WI winters and even with 420 lbs of sand next to the tailgate I have found myself going down roads sideways till the right rear tire hits the curb or the gravel on the side of the road... nothing you can do really. intersections can be outright horrible when the roads were plowed AFTER the snow has already been packed down. and it does not help they don't allow studded tires here.

one thing I would like to say that I don't think any1 else said is the tranny and its affect on the rear end. I have a shift kit, and it does NOT help with traction in the winter. when you are accelerating from 1st gear at an intersection the nice positive shift we all love in the summer can be enough to kick the vehicle sideways in an instant in the winter, its bad with a one legger, and its worse with posi.. I never thought about it till I found this out when it happened to me and I found myself in a corn field facing the direction I came...

just something to think about...

-Leo-

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.