Pros: OE paint as base for kandy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pros: OE paint as base for kandy?

I have a 98 vette in pewter silver metallic, and I was reading someones comment that a color like this could be used as a base for a kandy paintjob. So I figured I would ask some of the pros here as I value the opinions on this board.

Overall the paint on the car is in great shape, but I need to redo the rockers (lotta rock chips and parking curb rash on one side). So my plan was to dewax the car, fix the rockers, buy a small amount of pewter to respray them and clear, then scuff the entire car and put on the kandy and clear.

When scuffing the car, would you use gray scotchbrite or wet block with something like 600 or none of the above? There's no bodywork to do other than the rockers.

Anyway, does this sound possible or am I way off in my thinking?

Here's a car with the color I like, this was sprayed over gold base so I know mine will be darker.

Thanks for your input!!

Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

All the pros must be at work!! Or... what I proposed is a really bad idea!!!...

Anyway, been tossin around the idea... I might go with Inferno Orange, which is just a metallic...

Maybe I should go that route before I attempt a Candy paint on my nice vette... Thoughts?? I know its not gonna POP like the Candy does...

Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Inferno Orange Metallic again...

Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

I would lean toward red scotchbrites for more grip. That was the recommendation House Of Kolors tech line gave me. I've used them a few times with no problems. Just be careful not to overdo the sanding, and go through the clear. Sand just enough to remove the gloss from the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
novafreek6872 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well my friend, you are right...you can use any color as a base...if your using a metallic base you may get better results with a lighter color. The color itself will just give you a different hue. Below is a URL to my last build which is a 72 Chevy short box. I did the paint and all the body...I did not do the suspension or engine work. (He had relatives for that, I'm OK with it because he told me up front).

The base color I used was blue, with transparent orange over top (about 4 coats) followed by many coats of clear. Now, the ghost flames are air brushed with 7 different shades of blue so you can see the effect lighter and darker colors have.

Very high, bright metallic blue base.http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedg...7629325924897/

Hope this helps and any questions...let me know.
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Oh by the way, 1,308 pieces sprayed individually in a tri-coat. The underneath is as clean and shiny as the top. The engine block and transmission are also painted body color with the same base/clear paint. Paint PPG "Burnt Orange from their Vibrance Collection

Just for curiosity the engine is a 502 with a turbo charger running about 750 HP. I told the customer as well to do the suspension before I painted it but at least he brought it to the right guys to get it done after and no paint damage underneath.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I would lean toward red scotchbrites for more grip. That was the recommendation House Of Kolors tech line gave me. I've used them a few times with no problems. Just be careful not to overdo the sanding, and go through the clear. Sand just enough to remove the gloss from the surface.
I'm sorry but I disagree. A red scotch brite will open it up no question, maybe a little to aggressive. I would recommend the 600 wet, it's probably more of a personal opinion but with 600 you would eliminate any question of sand scratches in your mid coat. TusconJay, you are absolutely correct with the suggestion of just knocking the shine off the clear, all you need to do is open it up and it'll bite.

Ray
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Thanks guys... just the info I needed!! Im leaning towards the 600 on a colorsanding block route and maybe scuff pads for the jambs.

I don't know though... I'm having some serious doubts about my ability to spray the candy the way it needs to be sprayed, so I might just take the safe route and go with the orange metallic bc/cc. I'd hate to make a big mess of it!!

On the other hand, if I could do it and get it right, It could really help me get some paying spray jobs... just because the candy is such a stunner!!

DECISIONS!!!!

Andy
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You can do it...I saw your Nova...I've never seen you actually paint but, if you can get a car that straight and lay the clear down the way you did, you can paint a Tri-Coat. I' going to try that URL again. It doesn't look like it worked.

1972 Chevy C-10 Pickup Truck - a set on Flickr
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Now it works, let me know what you think. I'd be happy to walk you through a tri-coat paint job if you want.

Ray
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
You can do it...I saw your Nova...I've never seen you actually paint but, if you can get a car that straight and lay the clear down the way you did, you can paint a Tri-Coat. I' going to try that URL again. It doesn't look like it worked.

1972 Chevy C-10 Pickup Truck - a set on Flickr
Well, my Nova is only Single Stage AU and I painted it in pieces at different times over about 3 months, then put it back together... its easy to get black panels to match each other... THATS why I'm pretty hesitant on the Candy deal because I know how perfect everything HAS to be or you will see light and dark places.

I have some time to really mull it over, but I should probably do some BC/CC before I attempt a Candy...

That C10 is out of this world!!! I'll take any pointers you ever have to offer Ray!! NICE!!!

Andy
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Andy, I'll be happy to walk you through any paint issue. I think after you shoot BC/CC you won't go back...even if it is BLACK. It's a lot less difficult than it seems, you just need to have your head in the right place and by looking at your Nova, you won't have a problem.

Ray
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Now it works, let me know what you think. I'd be happy to walk you through a tri-coat paint job if you want.

Ray
Thanks Ray. You're a class act. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions on this thing whether I do the Candy or the Orange metallic.

Andy
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm sorry but I disagree. A red scotch brite will open it up no question, maybe a little to aggressive. I would recommend the 600 wet, it's probably more of a personal opinion but with 600 you would eliminate any question of sand scratches in your mid coat. TusconJay, you are absolutely correct with the suggestion of just knocking the shine off the clear, all you need to do is open it up and it'll bite.

Ray
I'm just sharing what I was told by the company.

After haunting many sites, the general rule seems to be "nothing finer than 800". I also would favor the 600 as a safe choice.

Personally, after painting for almost 50 years, I always lean toward a little more aggressive grits than what many guys use. Cuts the man hours, and gives me the knowledge that I have erred on the side of increased adhesion. I've never had reason to regret that philosophy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
dinger (10-30-2012), novafreek6872 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I'm just sharing what I was told by the company.

After haunting many sites, the general rule seems to be "nothing finer than 800". I also would favor the 600 as a safe choice.

Personally, after painting for almost 50 years, I always lean toward a little more aggressive grits than what many guys use. Cuts the man hours, and gives me the knowledge that I have erred on the side of increased adhesion. I've never had reason to regret that philosophy.
I did not mean in any way to offend you or minimize your experience. Although I haven't painted for 50 years, I have painted for all of 30 and all I am doing is voicing my opinion. I will say it again, the opinion that you got from House of Kolor in my opinion was wrong. Not saying your wrong concerning using a red scotch brite saying House of Kolor was wrong to give you that information.

Courser grits, better adhesion...on metal....a resounding yes, agreed 100%

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.