Hot Rod Forum banner

ProStreet Cars?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  46_stvblt 
#1 ·
If you were to build a Pro Street car...where would you start at? Frame(tubbing), engine,...?
Do you start with the wheel/tires and shorten the rearend to fit or shorten the rear and get the wheels to fit? I would like to here some of your ideas.
Later,
WEIMER

#3 ·
Absolutely, more time & more $$$. I would pull engine & start with the suspension, ect. It is alot easier working on that part with the engine out I think. Suspension is very important if you are going to pull alot of hp. Good axels and some wide tires. There are 2 things you must build for, wheelies & burnouts. OH Yeah! Never try to take a "quick & easy shortcut" take your time make sure it is done right, if you don't have the $$ wait till you do. Don't buy cheap crap or let some deliverance looking guy in bfe cut you a deal on some engine work ect. It will bite you in the bum later. Do "lots" of what I like to call, "research & development". There are plenty of good people, & info on the net to help with what your about, but it takes time.
Good Luck & best wishes on your project!
Redbird

#4 ·
I keep ending up with other peoples projects so I just find wheels and add tires to fit. Then make sure the brakes work and CK the steering and suspension, change springs and shocks to fit the ride I want. I usually find electrical problems and brake problems I have to fix. I build my own engines and transmission's when necessary but will use a good used tran's when I find them. It looks to me the back half is cut and the new one fitted with the rear end to fit before the wheels and tires are purchased. Then brakes then engine then electrical. Just seems to work out that way for me anyway.

Todd :eek:

Rat Rods Rule!

#5 ·
I suppose my S-10 prostreet, so I can tell you how I am doing it.

Depending on the condition of the car would depend on how far down you need to take it, but start by dissassembling everything that is required to do the chassis work. You want to start on the frame, suspension, rearend mods. I took mine down to the frame and cab. If you go with an aftermarket frame, you will want to plan for a cage or roll bar at minimum. Most of the aftermarket frames are designed for use of a roll bar for support.

I would suggest building a jig to hold the car/truck while you do the modifications. I got an I-Beam and some big C channel at the metal scrap yard to build mine. If you dont build a jig you stand a good chance of not getting it together straight. I built mine so that after I got the truck up on it, I could level the frame on the truck by adjusting levelers on the legs of the jig. I will put a picture in my albumn of the truck on the jig.

After on the jig, you can make all the frame modifications, build the cage, and get the rear suspension figured out. This is easily done on the jig because you have a known hard centerline to work off of.

My next step was paint and body work. Then, plumbing and electrical. I am a couple months from finishing with the engine/trans.

Chris

#6 ·
Hey Weimer.
I got somewhat luck with the Gremlin. My Stepdads Prostreet Mazda was wrecked so I used everything from it other than the frame rails, crossmember and one rim. It fit like a glove other than requiring a couple 2 inch wheel spacers Im, getting.
Be sure to measure, check level, measure and check again before welding or comitting to a weld. The tearing it up to get started is easy, but it is a long process. Mine was started 14 months ago and although we work on it now and then, its still tedious. But when you see it with the tires for the first time, your hooked! Good luck, HG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.