Prostreeting a 41 chevy coupe (or any others for that matter) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain
The LAST thing I would do to that car is prostreet. In fact I would leave it alone as is. To each his own. And gassers are not dead! It's his car and he asked for opinions, not just your opinion counts here.

Well your opinion counts as well..

He's the one that said he wanted to pro street it...I only agree..

Being I own a few..And love a pro street car...And as far as the gasser look..It is a little more dead now then the pro street look..Sorry !!..

And JRork I'm sorry if I caused a little problem here on your thread.. Remember build what ''YOU'' like.. If I came a cross as telling you what to build..I didn't mean too..Just said what I like..

And chieftain..I hope you have a blessed day...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:

Hah! Well, I got some responses and itís all good.

I get a kick out of what folks think is ďdeadĒ and what isnít. When I first built this car I didnít want to go with the standard 350/350 drive-train so I built up a bored out 261 6 cylinder per a build in an old Hot Rod magazine where Racer Brown built a 261 to go up against the hot shot 265 V-8 chevy. This was a 1955 magazine.
When I got it on the road this was in the ďBilletĒ era and people looked at me like I had the plague. When we hit the ProStreet era, more of the same looks of confusion. Another handfull of years pass and the magazines are showing how to build these old 6 cylinders (thanks Pat Ganahl).
Then fast forward to the Ratrod era. They seemed to come out of the woodwork and Iíve recently heard and read of a ďanti-RatrodĒ culture that look at those with disdain. Lately it seems to be (or have been) the gasser era. Will they stay popular, possibly but I'm betting no. History has shown that.
I donít know for a fact but I bet each of these styles will continue to have some interest and in my opinion, itís all good.

For me, I have always wanted and liked the ProStreet look and will build the car to that theme cuz thatís what I like. Did that look die in the 90ís? Certainly not around here where it is very much alive.

Will a Prostreet car handle like a well balanced and engineered cruiser? Not likely, nor will a lot of ratrods, gassers or low riders. Each of these compromise something to capture a certain look/style that the owner/builder is trying to achieve.

The motor is likely way overkill for this car but unfortunately, the anti noise advocates have all but ruled out running these boats with any form of exhaust that discharges the exhaust above the water. I ran the zoomies because I had spent a ton of money trying to meet the requirements with no luck. Hell, if youíre going to get harassed for noise anyhow, you might as well earn the hassle! I have too much into it to just let it sit in the ship and polish it.

Thanks again for all the replies. Still interested in some of the technical construction points of building a ProStreet car as I do plan on making this driveable (to a certain degree).

Last edited by JRork; 07-08-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRork

Will a Prostreet car handle like a well balanced and engineered cruiser? Not likely, nor will a lot of ratrods, gassers or low riders. Each of these compromise something to capture a certain look/style that the owner/builder is trying to achieve.
Very true...

Here's one I built for my 41 willys.. May give you some Idea's... I will be helping a friend building one like this for a 40 ford coupe..

Making A Willys Frame !!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

Great link NewInteriors. You do nice work. Thanks VERY much
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The only pro-street car I ever rode in that was comfortable was a friends pro-street AMC Marlin. The entire reason that car was close to comfortable was his use of parallel leaf springs instead of ladder bars or a four link with coil-over springs. It really was like night and day, but it still tended to dance all over when truck ruts were in the road and just like all pro-street rods, it was a handful on wet roads.

The gasser look is certainly something different but those cars were a handful back in the day and they are an order of magnitude more dangerous than a typical pro-street car. Certainly not something most people would want to drive on a daily basis, and wet roads.... forget about it!

If someone wants to build one of these "themed" cars he just needs to realize that it won't be a daily driver and will be somewhat limited in its "usability". A lot of fun, certainly but not very practical.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRork
Great link NewInteriors. You do nice work. Thanks VERY much

Thanks I try..
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
The gasser look is certainly something different but those cars were a handful back in the day and they are an order of magnitude more dangerous than a typical pro-street car. Certainly not something most people would want to drive on a daily basis, and wet roads.... forget about it!

Very well said CL..
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

hahaha,everyone has an openion....ive cut a few up myself...just cant help it.that is a way nice one to cut on though. i guess it all comes down to what a feller wants.if it were mine im sure id do as i wanted to it.it is a nice one.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

I wasn't to sure about cutting mine up either but after its done I've had no regrets. Overall mine actually drives really well also but not a daily driver.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I still believe I would find another 41 Chevy coupe to cut up.
Let's face facts, they are not a very expensive car to come by.

If you get it built and LOVE IT, then sell the other 41
If not ... you still have the first coupe and it is not all cut up ... into something you do not like.

IF you had already owned a few Pro-Street rides ... I would not even have ever posted on this thread

As far as Pro-Street ... It is DEAD in my area ... has been for a long time. Most of us who wanted one, had one ... and now we want something we can drive ... a few hundred miles and enjoy.

They have the same crowd draw as a RAT ROD ... some folks look but few want one. It is like seeing a car wreck when on the highway. Everyone stops and rubber necks but no one wants to be involved.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again for all the replies. I really do value them all. As far as this car, it was a mess when I stripped all the paint off of it and I spent a massive amount of time welding in patch panels to fix all the sins that had been bestowed upon it. Hell, I found one place where they had beat in the rotted out side and used brass wood screws and a flattened coffee can to fill the whole. Add some old style bondo and multiple layers of house paint and it looked good. I rebuilt the floors as best as I could at the time (pre-patchpanels avialable) so what I guess Im saying, is yes, this is a nice car but please dont think it's virgin cuz it's not.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like offer my opinion.

Since you built the car, you're the most qualified person in this thread to decide whether or not it's worth it to cut it up. As far as how I feel about it, I think it would look cool.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You have owned the coupe for a long time. Be thankful it is still at a stage you can take it to another level. My coupe has been with me for ever and after several stages, it can still be taken to several more levels if I desire. If I were in your shoes, I would be asking my self: Is there another level left after Pro Street and if so, would/could I go there? I just don't like having no options left after completing a project. I also live in the mountains where "straight line vehicles" are not practical unless they are on a trailer.

Trees
Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Welding question

In response to your welding question, the biggest concern I have is cleaning the metal before you start. Take a wire wheel and make sure you remove 100% of the rust and get down to virgin metal.

Scott
Fab Manager
http://www.welders360.com/
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Scott. I will certainly get the metal clean. I have in the past had good luck using a small sandblaster (to limit the mess) followed by a flapper disc on a grinder to get the metal really clean. I've used this approach on other frames with good success.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.