Prostreeting a 41 chevy coupe (or any others for that matter) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Prostreeting a 41 chevy coupe (or any others for that matter)

Hi everyone,
I've had this car for many years dating back to the 80's and it's gone through multiple engine/tranny/rearend/suspension setup before being put in mothballs as I played with boats.
Now that the boat thing has ran it's course I've decided to do something with the car I always wanted to do and Pro-Street it (or whatever else they call it these days). Basically a narrowed rearend, automatic, big block Chevy. Not looking for a cross-country cruiser but something I can play with here in town or maybe take it to the drags for the nostalgia drags once a year.

It's got a Mustang II front end and I'm considering either a 4 link or ladder setup for the back.

In particular is what approach folks have taken when welding to the Tophat frame that these cars came with.

I'm interested in any insight or thoughts (good or bad) that folks might be willing to offer.

Thanks so much........john

Here's the car way way back when I brought it home.

And here it is as it sits now

And here is the motor I will be taking out of the boat and putting it in the coupe.

Short video

1st start of the season

Last edited by JRork; 07-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I, myself would not PRO-STREET a nice coupe like yours.

Most ride, drive and handle like a old stagecoach. Once a car is that cut up ... there is almost no reversing it back. I cut a 69 Nova SS ... back in the early 70's ... and after that ... all it was fit for was drag racing.

That was OK ... back then.
I wanted a fast car.

The other down side to PRO-STREET is that it no longer has a WOW factor. They are not unique anymore.

IF I just had to have a P/S Chevy coupe ...
I believe I would find another coupe to do it to. Maybe one that is not as complete and nice ... so cutting out the floor and back-having it was not such a big deal. I also would build at least a 6 point ( 10 point is better ) cage in it. If you go to the track ... it will need a roll bar. Also by doing another body ... you would still have a 41 to drive and enjoy while you " project " on the the other one.

Deuce Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would have already cut it up !!! As far as the WOW factor.. It's still there... ''Every time I pull one of my pro street car's or truck's into a show they still go WOW !!! Not trying to bump heads with you Deuce.. Just saying it is still there.. Now one of the down fall's of a pro street is resell.. If you ever want to sell it.. You have to sell it to someone that really likes pro street..I myself ''Never'' Had any problem selling one so far... If I had your car here it would have been cut a long time ago.. I say if thats what you want..Don't look back..
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks so much for the replies guys. As far as the "wow" factor, for me a well done PS car still gives me goosebumps. We've done the car shows where if you weren't billeted and smoothed out you were almost a second class citizen. Never did dig that and is exactly why I put this car away in the back of the shop under cover. At that time, I had a 278" six with all the go fast goodies mated to a Saginaw 4 speed out of a V8 Monza.
My "roots' are still in the drag car era watching Dick Landy, Don Nicholson and Ronny Sox and while this care would pale in comparison, that's kinda the style I'm looking for (but with a blower motor).
No doubt, a virgin car still has some value in its "natural" form but I still look at this car that I drove home for $1500 as something that can't be tinkered with.
From what I've seen online, the whole rodding scene is MUCH more cost effective than the boating scene where the mind set of 1000 hp or two 350 shots of NOS is the norm.

No doubt, there are some that would disagree with my dreams but like New Interiors posted up, there's still some of us sicko's out there too.

Thanks again as I truly value all of your opinions....That's what makes the whole rodding scene cool.......john

Last edited by JRork; 07-07-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Been there.... done that..... won't do it again.

41 Chevy coupe, BBC, Th-400, Ford 9", ladder bar rear suspension, Mustang II IFS, etc, etc. Ride sucked, couldn't stand it for more than an hour at any given time, and it danced all over the interstate when truck grooves were present due to the big Mickey T's. Fast as hell but just not a car you could relax and drive.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Ride sucked, couldn't stand it for more than an hour at any given time, and it danced all over the interstate when truck grooves were present due to the big Mickey T's. Fast as hell but just not a car you could relax and drive.

Never had a hot rod that didn't ride like a hot rod.. Down here in the south, It doesn't have to be a pro street car to dance all over the hwy..The roads here will make any car or truck dance all over the hwy... Now what is different is when it rains !!! I never lose any of my cars,,But did see some lose it..I owned five pro street car's and truck's,, And love everyone of them.. And really enjoy the look on people's face when they look at them.. And I really like it more when the car is small, and the tires are ''BIG''.. My saying always been...I LOVE FAT FENDERS AND NARROW REAR ENDS'' !!!!

And one thing you have to ''aways'' remember..No matter what you build and how you build it...SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE'S, WILL ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY !!!! They are all around us everyday.. I build what I like.. And who ever don't like it..Lets just say OH WELL !!!!

By the way Centerline..Nice looking car you had there..

Heres one I just finished..

and a few that I owned..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100616_12.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	46615   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1996.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	46616   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2254.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	46618   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_38321.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	46619   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_7012.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	46620  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 07-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 AM

Last photo:

Centerline,
I remember that car and in fact you and I exchanged emails or PMs from somewhere about your car. Love the look of it still to this day.

NE,
Awesome looking cars! Thanks for posting those up.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
........By the way Centerline..Nice looking car you had there..

Heres one I just finished..

Great minds think alike. Here was the truck I built after the 41. Wasn't pro-street though. Sold it just like you see it to a neighbor who made me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRork
Centerline,
I remember that car and in fact you and I exchanged emails or PMs from somewhere about your car. Love the look of it still to this day.

NE,
Awesome looking cars! Thanks for posting those up.
It was a fun car and turned heads where ever it went. Glad I built one pro-street car but as fun as they are they're just not very practical. Kinka like a T-bucket. Tons of fun but I just wouldn't want to drive one for more than a couple hours.

My 41 is, last I heard, somewhere up in Canada now. Every time it gets sold the new owner calls me with a bunch of questions about it. Trouble is that it's been through at least 4 different owners since I sold it and each one has made changes so its probably not much like it was when I built it.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Never had a hot rod that didn't ride like a hot rod..

That is because ALL of them have those BIG TIRES on the rear

Here is a photo of the wife and I in Los Angeles, Father's Day weekend 2010 ( 2500 miles away from home ) in our 32 Ford roadster. It drives and rides pretty nice

But then it was built to ride nice ...

The coil springs help the ride, as does the aluminum 9 inch Ford center section. The driveshaft has been upgraded to a aluminum one. Reduced unsprung weight ... almost always helps with ride quality

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
That is because ALL of them have those BIG TIRES on the rear

BUT !!! keep in mine..Not all of my hot rods had big fatties on back..This is just a few of my pro street ones...I never said they drove bad..They Just drove like a ''HOT ROD'' Not like a ''STREET-ROD''..There is a ''DIFFERENCE'' Between the two.... I have seen some pretty bad pro street cars that did drive very very nice.. But like you said they where built to drive nice..You can make ''any car drive nice if you spend the right money.. I like hot rods, not street rods that ride like my family car..

And if your looking for a better ride, There is other tires then M/T That would make a bigger difference..

And as for the pro street ford I just finished..If you where blind folded,, and I gave you a ride in it..You wouldn't know it was pro street..It rode very nice..

I may get to the street rods one day..Who knows !!! But for now, I'm a ''young'' Hot rodder by heart..Having the time of my life..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 07-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Fat Jack Robinsons car....... the whole reason that a prostreet car still turns my crank.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 AM
More for Less Racer

Jack's car was fast, too bad it got wadded into a ball at the strip a year or so after it was built, and was totally destroyed. I still have the HOTROD mag with it and the purple '39 on the front cover - the "Fat Attack" issue.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

I thought prostreet was a 90's thing and dead? I would not cut that car up either. If you want to put that engine in that car, than put a straight axle in it and make it a gasser. A period correct built looking car anyway you go would be the best IMO.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain
I thought pro street was a 90's thing and dead? I would not cut that car up either. If you want to put that engine in that car, than put a straight axle in it and make it a gasser. A period correct built looking car anyway you go would be the best IMO.

90's thing !!!! and dead!!! Yea right !!! Where have you been? A straight axle is the last thing I would do to that car...TALK ABOUT DEAD !!!

I hate to say it, But a straight axle under a car,, Just turn's me away... That is the worst thing I think any one can do to a car...SORRY !!!!! Yea !!! Let's just turn it into a TOP HEAVY CAR !!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

The LAST thing I would do to that car is prostreet. In fact I would leave it alone as is. To each his own. And gassers are not dead! It's his car and he asked for opinions, not just your opinion counts here.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.