protecting polished aluminum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

protecting polished aluminum

I am sure this would get asked a lot, but I did search and didn't find a lot of info. I am looking to protect highly polished aluminum parts.

I have heard of zoop seal, which no longer exists, they have changed their name to shine seal, I have tried Gtechniq C5 which is a little expensive but seems to work.

I am not looking to anodize the parts, just a simple polish or protectant that would hold up for some time, would be great.

Googling it brings up all kinds of stuff, but I would like to hear from people with actual experience with different products, there is just so much out their to choose from, but what actually works and holds up to the test of time.

Not really wanting to clear coat the parts either, but I have also read up on clear coats that are for direct to metal application on highly polished parts, meaning no primer needed.

I plan on polishing everything in my engine bay that can be polished and chroming the steel parts that can't be polished.

some polished pieces I would like to protect......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I have a fair amount of polished stuff on my Car too, and wondered how to take care of it with the least amount of work-

First, I asked my polishing guy (J & S polishing, they do great work!) how I could make it last, and he said nothing works long term ( he suggests that when it needs it to just use simple Green and hose it off, so you don't have to polish as much, then use Mother's as needed)-

I didn't like that answer, so I first tried Sharkhyde-IF you can get if on to your satisfaction (that is the hard part-I tried spraying it on, which looks the best, but I had to redo a bunch of it), although you can tell that there is "something" on your part (it looks like a clear film sort of)-

In the last few weeks I received my Concept One Serpentine system, and I ordered it polished-when I received it I realized that there was a LOT of polished aluminum, so, I bought the big kit of Shine Seal (like you said, the old Zoops stuff), and I put it on last Saturday-

It isn't hard to put on,(but the dry time is important), and, after it dries you look at it and wonder whatever possessed you to try it, but, they give you a product they call "Slick Finish"-I don't know what is in it, but after you use it, you cannot tell that there is any type of "sealer" on it, and it looks really good IMHO-

If if lasts I think I will use it the most, as it really does look good-hope this helps-
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Polished aluminun

Google a product called shark hide, very interesting. I use it on all the aluminum trim and wheels on my 66 Satellite. Eastwood sells it.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Any aluminum is going to oxidize over time unless you really stay on top of it with a polish. If you don't mind me asking, why do you NOT want to anodize the parts? I would think that if you are going to the trouble of having the aluminum polished like you show you would want it protected in the best way possible.

BTW....that part looks great. The bad thing about the aluminum when it starts oxidizing, it that it is going to start everywhere. The real bad thing is that it will now be in the nooks and crannies that you won't be able to get your fingers into.

But if you are dead set against anodizing, get a good wax for clearcoat paints. Not a cleaner way. Or get a good Carnauba wax like the old Simonize in the yellow can that would take a whole day to wax a car, and get some good microfiber towels. Make sure you wash off all dirt and dust before hand. You'll need a good array of soft brushes to wash in the nooks and crannies. Dry things off with an air hose, then give things a good coat of wax. In doing so every so often, you should be able to keep it looking like it does for a number of years,

Where I worked, we buffed and clear anodized reflectors for aircraft all the time. I would recommend looking into it. Check with a girl name Leanna at this site PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings.com - Home She may be able to help you out with some of the questions on preserving the polished look. I don't have any affiliation with her other than she is on another website I frequent. She's very helpful when it comes to answering questions.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW View Post
I have a fair amount of polished stuff on my Car too, and wondered how to take care of it with the least amount of work-

First, I asked my polishing guy (J & S polishing, they do great work!) how I could make it last, and he said nothing works long term ( he suggests that when it needs it to just use simple Green and hose it off, so you don't have to polish as much, then use Mother's as needed)-

I didn't like that answer, so I first tried Sharkhyde-IF you can get if on to your satisfaction (that is the hard part-I tried spraying it on, which looks the best, but I had to redo a bunch of it), although you can tell that there is "something" on your part (it looks like a clear film sort of)-

In the last few weeks I received my Concept One Serpentine system, and I ordered it polished-when I received it I realized that there was a LOT of polished aluminum, so, I bought the big kit of Shine Seal (like you said, the old Zoops stuff), and I put it on last Saturday-

It isn't hard to put on,(but the dry time is important), and, after it dries you look at it and wonder whatever possessed you to try it, but, they give you a product they call "Slick Finish"-I don't know what is in it, but after you use it, you cannot tell that there is any type of "sealer" on it, and it looks really good IMHO-

If if lasts I think I will use it the most, as it really does look good-hope this helps-
That is the product that I have read the most about and it seems people that have tried it like it. I am wondering what other products may be out there.
When looking at product websites they all sound great, but I am looking for reviews from people that have actually tried some of these products.

I have read shark hide can be a challenge to use and get it to look right, I guess that all depends on how it is being applied.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I have never done it many people spray urethane clear over it. I do know one guy who has a collection of cars that include some polished brass and he sprayed Azol Nobel urethane clear right over it and it looks like the day it was polished years ago. It is a hell of a gamble on something as complex as that aluminum case, would scare the crap out of me just thinking about peeling or something I would say some experimenting is in order. Clear some polished piece and put it up on the roof of your garage and see what it looks like in a year.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.