Hot Rod Forum banner

Protecting the starter on a sbc

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
Got a quick question for you guys.
I have an issue with the starter on my s10. Due to how the headers are routed, the starter gets alot of heat.

That heat makes it almost impossible to crank after the motor has been running for awhile. I first thought it was a timing issue but adjusting the timing makes no difference. I have also replaced all the wiring to the starter and bought a battery with higher cranking amps.

The only constant has been the starter and I still have the same issue.

I plan on getting a new starter in the extremely near future and wanted to know what you guys would suggest as far as sheilding it from all that heat.

Wrapping the header isn't really an option.

So, should I try and wrap the starter itself?
Did any SBCs come with a heat shield for the starter?

#4 ·
I had the same problem on my 86 cutlass. I used a ford solenoid from a late 80's crown vic. I've attached a picture on how to wire it. But instead of using a piece of wire as the short I used a piece of copper pipe for plumbing. I cleaned it very well then flattened it with a hammer. You have to bend a kink in it, you should be able to see what I mean by looking at the solenoid. Then all you have to do is drill a couple of holes and mount and wire it. I never had a problem after that even on hot summer days. There are kits out there but I say DIY. Hope it helps.

Rippin

Attachments

#5 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

My opinion is use a heat shield..Logically , anything that can hold heat OUT (heat wrap) Can also hold it IN...

GM actually has a PN For the shield, (I haven't a clue what it is though..) so you should be able to find one just about anywhere.

Doc :pimp:

#7 ·
Listen to RippiRon. I had the same problem with my Olds. Chased the problem for a while. New wires, larger battery cables, checked all grounds, checked and rechecked timing, 2 types of starter shields and so on. Finally, I gave in and put a remote solenoid on the car, and no more problem. The battery doesn't bog down anymore and the car starts without hesitation now, whether hot or cold.

#8 ·
Had the same prob with my S-15/350 swap. Tried all of the above and finally went to a mini starter that I could rotate away from the hedders, that was the final fix. My 99 Silverado has a heat shield on it from the factory, so if you see one in a junkyard you could pull it off of one of them, it just pushes on.

Lance

#10 ·
It may also be that the starter is going bad.I have an 85 S10 with a 350 running Patriot headers,using a stock starter and have not had any problems so far. I did wrap the starter motor and solenoid with reflective duct tape used in HVAC before installing.Hope this might also help.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I really appreciate the input.

I looked at wrapping the starter and don't think it will work.

I have also been checking out different heat shields to see how well that would work.

I think I may go with the "remote" solenoid idea....especially since I have a barnd new one wasting away on that cougar I can't seem to sell.

I'll probably try a couple of different things before settling on one fix.

I'll make sure to post here again and let everyone know what worked.

#12 ·
for my 400 in my elky it has stock manifolds but has a small leak and it was also not liking to turn over when it got hot. I picked up a heat shield from my local autozone in that section of "help" parts. If I recall it was under 5 and was just a piece of metal that covered the solenoid and left a small air gap around it for cooling. So far no troubles since but once I get my headers installed that could change :)

#13 ·
All great ideas. The remote solenoid works.

Heat shields can be made easily from aluminum that comes in rolls for roof shingle flashing, etc.
Make a shield on the header itself and install with hose clamps,
Make another for the starter installed with a big hose clamp,

Cool air can pass between them and around the starter for decent cooling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.