Proud of electrical job? Show it! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Proud of electrical job? Show it!

I am about to wire my car using an after market harness. I have a pretty good background in electronics, so I am not only looking forward to this, I want to take it to another level.

Has anyone used the high powered stereo components for their regular (non-stereo) electrical systems? I have a few pieces I am going to try. Gold plated distribution points, maxi-fused distribution box, etc.

Have some ideas you'd like to show off? I'd love to see some neat electrical wiring ideas.

Thanks!
Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
I am about to wire my car using an after market harness. I have a pretty good background in electronics, so I am not only looking forward to this, I want to take it to another level.

Has anyone used the high powered stereo components for their regular (non-stereo) electrical systems? I have a few pieces I am going to try. Gold plated distribution points, maxi-fused distribution box, etc.

Have some ideas you'd like to show off? I'd love to see some neat electrical wiring ideas.

Thanks!
Steve

I just now finished wiring in a couple of Scorpion maxi-fuse holders - my only "complaint' is that the pigtails are very floppy so have to be supported. My always powered sub module for my American Autowire module is a Bussman - so only silver plated tho I did look at a couple of the fancys - but all I saw had big cables in and out.

Be prepared for it to take a LOT longer then you thought for a neat job I planned on 2-3 weeks of 20+/- hours per week . It's now going on 6 weeks and am about at ~75%(though a couple of weekend trips and a laundry list of summer honey do's tend to mess things up as well)

Dave W
Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Pics!

How about showing some pics of your work?

I'm in the middle of installing an aftermarket generic hot rod harness on my 69 Chevelle. It's my first harness install.

One of the upgrades I'm working on is new bulb sockets and connectors. I decided new will be easier and better than trying to recondition the old ones.

Figuring out the best way for the wires to route is a challenge, but I love a challenge

I have some chrome-like convoluted tubing to run the wires in the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics as I go.

Steve
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
How about showing some pics of your work?

I'm in the middle of installing an aftermarket generic hot rod harness on my 69 Chevelle. It's my first harness install.

One of the upgrades I'm working on is new bulb sockets and connectors. I decided new will be easier and better than trying to recondition the old ones.

Figuring out the best way for the wires to route is a challenge, but I love a challenge

I have some chrome-like convoluted tubing to run the wires in the engine compartment.

I'll take some pics as I go.

Steve
Steve,
Before you completely commit to that chrome convoluted tubing, lay a piece of 3/4" or so on the engine for a couple of days - it might not look so good - but, of course, that's only my opinion - and I have a fully chromed and billeted engine and don't care for it and am using the tried and true black as a contrasting color.

Dave W
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I completely rewired a 51 merc 6v positive ground. I did it all old-school to match the car. Custom ordered cloth-covered modern wire, used old copper crimp fittings, and individually soldered every joint. Turned out really nice, but nothing custom. I just made my own version of a factory harness.... Although I did disassemble every single switch and rebuild it.

One of my more brilliant mods (in my opinion) was adding a button to signal truckers. On my tow vehicle, I have a good modified CB, but you often like to signal with lights as well. I wired in a momentary pushbutton switch to a DPDT relay. In the normally closed position I ran the taillights. In the normally open I ran a separate brake light circuit. So, night or day, I could signal "thank you" by just tapping the button a few times. During the day, it just flashed the brakes. At night, it momentarily disabled the clearance lights on the trailer while flashing the brakes.

I added a neat little circuit in my boat. I didn't want the fuel pump to be running all the time the key was on, so I grounded its relay through a normally open oil pressure sender switch, then rigged a separate button to ground so I could manually activate the pump for the first time each season, or to drain the tank, or if I ran out of fuel.

Right now I'm getting to the planning stages of my 66 Bonneville wiring. I want some neat things in that, like snap action tactile switches for everything.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

Started soldering tonight!

Ok, I guess I'm going to be brave and post some pics of my progress. Feel free to offer suggestions.

I went to my local Advance Auto Parts to get new bulb sockets and some connectors. I decided that trying to recondition originals just wasn't worth it. They had many in stock, which surprised me!

So what you see on some of these pics are the new connectors and sockets.

I am soldering almost all connections. I am using a kit from Haywire called their E series. So far I like it.

The third pic with the red (soldering iron) at the bottom shows me cutting the one tail light wire coming to the back of the car, and using a barrel splice to splice in the sidemarker light and tail light sockets to the one end of the barrel, and the two sides of the cut piece of tail light wire to the other.

I put solder on each wire section before inserting into the barrel. When all wires were inserted, I applied the soldering iron tip....with solder on it, to the barrel and applied solder to the small hole in the middle when the barrel became hot enough to melt solder.

I used two pieces of heat shrink and shrank one, waited to cool, moved the second piece in place, and shrank that on top for extra insurance.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall and tubing.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	31253   Click image for larger version

Name:	fusebox mounted.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	31254   Click image for larger version

Name:	splice small.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	31255   Click image for larger version

Name:	tubing front.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	31256  

Last edited by 58Apache; 07-16-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Add more explanation of pics
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Final pic of tail light splice

Here's the splice of the tail light and side marker light into the single tail light wire in the trunk.

Again these are 4 wires coming into a barrel and soldered into the barrel. 2 pieces of shrink tubing were installed, one on top of the other.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat shrink 4 way.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	31257  
Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 AM

Starting to look good - and especially with that ball of spaghetti looking wires. I need to take some photos of my progress as well sometime today.

Steve, if you go into the guru of wiring's posts, Docvette, he posts some cautions about soldering - but of course, I'm doing some as well .

Dave W

Photos just taken:

Last edited by Irelands child; 07-17-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Nice job!

Looking good there Dave! Nice and neat.

Yeah I still have a rat's nest as I haven't bundled anything until most connections are made. I also opted for 18 circuits! So tons of wire to deal with on mine as well.

As for soldering, it don't much matter to me any warning on soldering. I put in 18 years as an electronic tech and required solder training and certifying yearly to NASA specs. This job will NOT be to NASA specs, but I learned a lot over the years and solder is the only way for me. In most cases anyway.

Ok, back out there to finish the job.

Anyone else care to show theirs?

Steve

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.