Hot Rod Forum banner

Be proud of your garage!

201K views 434 replies 154 participants last post by  ryork 
#1 ·
Every now and then I check this forum. There are always questions about tools to buy and stuff, but how about we show everyone else the workspace we're working in?
I'll start by showing you a pic of my garage....
Just's a simple little corner but I like it and it does the trick...simple homemade workbench and my welder beside it on the shelves which hold all the parts...

Your turn...

Mike

#353 · (Edited)
From Gravel to Garage...

I sign papers next week to close on a house that has a 2-car garage and 4-car shop!

For the last couple of years all work on the 49 has been done in my carport or laying in the gravel driveway.

Moving From This...

To This...

2 Car Garage

4 Car Shop

Both areas need to be taken down to the drywall, clean-up old wiring, repaint the walls and ceiling. I'll thouroughly clean the floors and the 2 car will get epoxy paint on the floor. The larger 4 car shop I'll be working out of, with lots of welding and grinding going on so it will not get painted (plus it'd cost too much!)

Not only will my new home be 600 sq ft bigger than my current box - just the total garage/shop space sq ft = my old house sq ft!

And I'm going from .25 acres in downtown to a wooded private 1.25 acres!

This is not my dream house/shop but a huge step in the right direction!

:thumbup:

#356 ·
schnitz said:
Congrats Rambo! Very wise idea to totally clean and arrange it your way prior to moving all the car stuff in.

In a while, Chet.

Thanks Chet, Having a shop has been a long time coming!

I wish I could just move in but I really don't have a choice as there is to much hokey stuff going on... I'll give you an example...

In the picture of the 4 car shop in the back looks like a cabinet and sink....

...I was thinking...OK a place to wash you hands, no problem...but I got to looking closer and it has a flexible spout coming out of the sink...hmmm....looked underneath, no trap plumbing...but there is live on/off switch and the underneath of the sink cabinet smelled of solvent...thats right folks a home made OPEN solvent tank, with no safety lid...oh...and whats that directly above the "tank" er..sink?...a nice ignition source or "lightbulb"...DOH!

There's also a few of those "Honey, what does this switch do...On,Off,On,Off...anything?"

So, hopefully it won't take too long to sort things out - 'cause I want to start working out there!

#357 ·
#360 ·
Thanks thats Nigel the Dog lol, and the garage has yet to be finisihed dry walled the prvious owner for some reason never got around to it but like most projects the garages are never done either, just not a big fan of clutter plus i have a nice one car garage next to this to keep mower toys ladders etc in keeps garage alot cleaner lol later

Attachments

#362 ·
Ok guys I have been in my new office for about a month or so and it is finished enough to show the inside. My wife calls it my man space. I also have space for my truck so now I can tear it apart, which I am doing (see my journal). Notice the metal ceiling, the ceiling fan, old steering wheel, old tire, old horn etc. Anyway enjoy the pics.

Attachments

#363 ·
heres a pic of the building i do my tinkering in. its 68' x 80' steel building with 4 12x14 high doors. you could park 2 tractor trailers inside and close the doors. so its big enough, lol. when i got the building it had been a truck repair garage. after almost 2 years i'm still cleaning it up. it was a mess. i put in a new lift, new compressor, (the whole building was already piped for compressed air every 12'). i powerwashed it. in one side i have pallet racks to hold engines, transmissions, body parts, etc. i also have a forklift which makes it real handy. i still need to put in more lighting. but its a great workplace. plans include painting the walls and ceiling white. doing something about the floor which is pretty rough concrete. right now i'm redoing the upstairs office. which is kind of funny. only a few weeks ago was the first time i'd ever gone up into that office. even though i got this building almost 2 years ago. i just never had any reason to go up there. turns out its a cool space that i'm going to fix up and put a computer in. i'll get more pics soon.

#365 ·
This is one of my favorite threads and I thought I would post to bump it back to the top.

I have just posted a new thread on my plans for my next garage and have also posted pictures of my previous one in this thread quite a while back.
I'm really in a mode for new ideas at this point in my planning process.

Let's get this one going again and see your garages.

#367 ·
Wow...Almost a year since this thread was alive.....Since then, I have moved, so I better update.............My new place, the shop is 22x30...about the same size, but it was bare.....Got a lot of work to do in the spring. I have doors on it now (it didnt have any), have put in lighting, some electric circuits, and a couple of workbenches. Working away at it as time and money allows.

Attachments

#368 ·
poncho62 said:
Wow...Almost a year since this thread was alive.....Since then, I have moved, so I better update.............My new place, the shop is 22x30...about the same size, but it was bare.....Got a lot of work to do in the spring. I have doors on it now (it didnt have any), have put in lighting, some electric circuits, and a couple of workbenches. Working away at it as time and money allows.

That looks like it will be a great space for your new shop. Keep us up-to-date as you get coming along with it. Is that a 10' ceiling?

#370 ·
Thanks guys...It is at least a 10 ft ceiling....What I do like about it too, is the door openings are 10x8 ft..........Lots of room to maneuver through them....I have both my vehicles on the one side with room for the wifes car to park inside for the winter months.

#372 ·
Lou said:
It is a mess right now. Because it has been closed for the last two years. But I'm back an ready to build some stuff.

It looks like you have all the fixins'. :D I told one of our members when I visited his shop, after he apologized for it looking messy, "I'd rather see a shop that looks like someone is working than one that is ***** n span, I know my work will get done and I'm not paying for your clean-up to be done". For me, time to clean would be occasionally, I like progress. :thumbup: Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.