Hot Rod Forum banner

Be proud of your garage!

201K views 434 replies 154 participants last post by  ryork 
#1 ·
Every now and then I check this forum. There are always questions about tools to buy and stuff, but how about we show everyone else the workspace we're working in?
I'll start by showing you a pic of my garage....
Just's a simple little corner but I like it and it does the trick...simple homemade workbench and my welder beside it on the shelves which hold all the parts...

Your turn...

Mike

#328 ·
New Office and Shop

Hey Guys Here is are some pics of the new space for my company. I draw duct work all day and work on my truck when I can. So I thought I would combine the two. I am going to build an office space in here and leave room for my truck. It will be nice due to my garage being taken over by my daughters. This will allow me to do a frame off rebuild of my 55 Chevy truck. Look at my journal to see where I am now with it. I am going to build my office out to be a "man place". Diamond plate on the walls as a wainscot, cool fighter plane ceiling fan, painted cement floor etc. I will post pics as I do the build out. This weekend I will be building a expanded metal cover to go over the front window in the existing small office and repainting the gray wall with some good paint. I was in a rush and bought some cheap stuff...lessoned learned. I will be installing my compressor here along with 90% of my tools being moved here.

Now if I can talk my wife into that 52" plasma flat screen...ahh it would be for work ofcourse....

Attachments

#332 ·
gator412 said:
Actually the truck is for advertising.....cool huh...and Chet I'll fire up the bar-b-que for you...see ya on Sunday

I'm not sure I can make it this weekend.....

We'd love to make a west coast run sometime, maybe we''ll meet up sometime when we do.

I got one quick question, though, concerning your shop. What have you done for sound deadening. If you put the compressor in there, I get the feeling it'll make a load of racket that'll drive you crazy.

In a while, Chet.

#334 ·
dei8fan said:
I had this pole barn built a couple of weeks ago the floor is to be poured soon.

Ive been working out of a 20x20 this one is 30x50....I won't know how to act!

Update; The floor was poured a little over a week ago and turned out nice. Sorry no pictures of the pour (I still live in Fla untill the new house is done.) We started moving the toys in over the weekend.

#337 ·
Framing update

My father in law and friend are almost done with the framing on the new shop. Attached are a few pics of it. We will start running electrical next week then move on to the drywall. I think I am going to have the drywall done by a crew. They can throw it up so fast and be out of there before I finish one wall.

Attachments

#343 ·
dei8fan said:
Update; The floor was poured a little over a week ago and turned out nice. Sorry no pictures of the pour (I still live in Fla untill the new house is done.) We started moving the toys in over the weekend.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/Junkman104/Picture544.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/Junkman104/Picture547.jpg

If you don't mind me asking. All set and done what did it cost you? Did you build yourself or did you have a contractor do the actual construction and concrete work. It is basic but perfect for what I would want to do.

#344 ·
tyman00 said:
If you don't mind me asking. All set and done what did it cost you? Did you build yourself or did you have a contractor do the actual construction and concrete work. It is basic but perfect for what I would want to do.
All said and done with electric run I will have 22K in it. I had National Barn put it up for me.

Ground work was 3900.00 but I had to cut a 50x100 area out of a hill.
Barn including labor to put it up was 12,120.00, hard to beat the price.
Concrete was 4700.00

#345 ·
Well, for now, this is where I have to work, a covered carport. Keeps the rain off of me and the car, but as you can see, the gravel makes scooting around on a creeper a little difficult, not to mention the jack.

I do, however, have a ton of big boxes left over from our recent move into the house, which I have used to great effect-- just be sure to pick out those big, sharp rocks if you need to.

I do have a huge basement, which right now is storing parts from a '69 Galaxie, so I do have a work area.

It only has a single door opening, so I can't pull a car into the basement and go to town. I have to choose the great outdoors, or parts that aren't wider than my door. Turning it into a garage just isn't practical, and would cost as much as a new garage anyways. We bought the adjoining lot to our house, and the big, manly-man garage will definitely go there. Apparently, the only part I think I will for sure have to hire out to build it is the foundation. Laying out concrete for a 1000 sq ft garage will probably be the biggest hurdle.

Hope to be able to post photos of that garage when it comes, but I did want to show that you don't need that garage just to turn a wrench! :mwink:

#348 ·
Fire blocking is not used much any more as the wall board should have a fire suppression rating. It (blocking) used to be required on walls attached to the dwelling area. Now in our area not even wallboard is required if you are using plywood and fiberglass insulation. I think they figure the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors will warn you before a fire can get big enough. These are required in our area and must be attached to the home electrical circuit so you don't forget to change the batteries.

#349 ·
Sorry for the late reply on the fire blocking. I have been working like a dog lately. The blocking is for the diamond plate I will be installing on the lower part of the wall. I told my father in law not to block...but he did. So I have to just go with it. Also the friend who is helping him is a general contractor.....I think some one took the test for him...get my drift. Oh well free labor meant extra wood. They were going to block the entire 2nd floor joists on the bottom but I stopped them and had them use a long single 2X4 on the bottom nailed to the bottom of each joist. They also didn't use a rim joist..idiots....oh did I say that! Oh well old school (father in law) and no school (contractor friend). Haha...gotta laugh so I don't cry. I could go on about the way they did some other things but won't. I have been working on the space by myself now for a while. But I have to complete it cause I have to be out of my current office by the end of November. I have ran all the electrical and networking cables. I hung all the drywall myself and almost done with the taping. I don't need a great taping job due the paint Job I will be putting on. Kind of a rag texture with rocket red, gray and black. The floor is bare concrete painted gray with yellow baseboard. The framing was done with ten foot studs so I can put in a sloped metal ceiling. kinda like a "shed" look to it. The ceiling fan I have is a scaled down version of a P-51 mustang airplane with a three bladed "prop". It looks really cool. Once I get some paint on the walls and the ceiling up I will post some more pics.

#350 ·
Okay I'm late on htis one to. I'm real proud of my shop. It is 30x32 (960 squ ft., my house is 990 squ ft.). I'm saving for a drill press and a band saw. My dad is a wood worker and scrounger, he built the wood benches out of palletts and plywood from a semi trailer all free. I built the welding table from semi trailer parking jacks again free materials.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.