Hot Rod Forum banner

Be proud of your garage!

201K views 434 replies 154 participants last post by  ryork 
#1 ·
Every now and then I check this forum. There are always questions about tools to buy and stuff, but how about we show everyone else the workspace we're working in?
I'll start by showing you a pic of my garage....
Just's a simple little corner but I like it and it does the trick...simple homemade workbench and my welder beside it on the shelves which hold all the parts...

Your turn...

Mike

#427 · (Edited)
This is my garage I built last year..30 x 45. Should have been 60 x 90.. :D
Never enough room. I learned a lot building this one.

<edit> It has two 8 foot drive in doors and a walk-in. 1 1/2 inch foil faced insulation. 75,000 btu propane stove keeps it warm when I can afford the propane :rolleyes: Total cost to build including concrete was about $7500. It is a pole barn kit.

Bob

Attachments

#428 ·
I Inherited this garage from the previous owner and he did leave me with a nice starting point. He left me with enough electrical panel space to add outlet reels a welder, air compressor and oven.

But it was left with open floor joists that blocked off the lower section and left the upper unusable. So I had it floored now I have storage space for junk

#429 ·
aminga said:
I Inherited this garage from the previous owner and he did leave me with a nice starting point. He left me with enough electrical panel space to add outlet reels a welder, air compressor and oven.

But it was left with open floor joists that blocked off the lower section and left the upper unusable. So I had it floored now I have storage space for junk

]
Verrry nice! It is going to cost a lot to fill that up with big boy toys :D

#431 ·
aminga said:
Since access is limited to a set of pull down stairs it will have to be filled with a bunch of little toys.
I was mainly talking about the bottom part, but it is great to have the storage area above. I have an old 40 x 40 milking barn with an area above for storing hay. The stairs are almost straight up and I know that once I took something up there it would probably never see daylight again. I thought about putting the woodworking stuff up there, but not sure how I'd get the heavy stuff up the stairs.
When I moved to Illinois I bought 10 acres of an old farm. It had three good outbuildings, but none are really suitable for a workshop/garage. All had dirt/gravel floors. The old equipment shed almost qualified, but it had an old fashioned corn crib down the middle. I had lots of rough storage area, but needed to build the workshop pictured in the previous post. You can see the start of the workshop in the picture of the redone equipment shed. The milk barn is concrete block and only has walk in doors. There is a two car garage but it is still filled with a 39 Pontiac, motorcycle trailers, and various bits and pieces accumulated over a lifetime.

Attachments

#432 ·
aminga said:
Really nice looking place you have!
Any way to make a set of stairs to the upper level without hurting floor space on the ground level?

How do you like the metal roof?
I personally like the looks of them. Houses out in the country look good with metal, I have contemplated roofing mine with sheet metal but I am in the city and I am not sure it would fit in with the neighborhood????

#433 ·
1ownerT said:
Really nice looking place you have!
Any way to make a set of stairs to the upper level without hurting floor space on the ground level?
Not really. The biggest limitation is that the ceiling beams are on 24" centers. I have kicked around the idea of cutting a few of them and boxing it in to put in a trap door with a hoist to lift some of the big sutff up there. Maybe later

Another reason for doing this was to install a heater. The weekend it snowed the highs were 25. Made it a little hard to work out there.

1ownerT said:
How do you like the metal roof?
I personally like the looks of them. Houses out in the country look good with metal, I have contemplated roofing mine with sheet metal but I am in the city and I am not sure it would fit in with the neighborhood????

I Love my metal roof. They put it on in Aug/Sept and I was at work in the upstairs home office. When they covered the section of the roof over my office it got noticably cooler. Plus where we're located it's prone to high winds (I've seen on guests over 80 MPH at least 3 times since we've moved) and I got tired of fixing shingles. Last year we put on the roof and replaced all the windows with Double pane Low E glass and our utilities are down by 25%.

let's see some photo's of the T. since Mine is also a 1 owner T.

#434 ·
Aminga and ryork, I'd love to have that kind of country living! Beautiful surroundings, very nice. Now for the access to the second story, I have seen some nice stairways built on the outside of the building. You might try something on the end of the building. For heavier objects, maybe like they used to do the haybales in the old days.

#435 ·
dinger said:
Aminga and ryork, I'd love to have that kind of country living! Beautiful surroundings, very nice. Now for the access to the second story, I have seen some nice stairways built on the outside of the building. You might try something on the end of the building. For heavier objects, maybe like they used to do the hay bales in the old days.
The old milk barn does have the opening on the end but the hoisting system is missing. I guess it wold not take too much effort to rig up a hoist of some sort.
Country living is great until these 10 acres have to be mowed 5 or 6 times a month :pain: I'd like to fence it all around and turn loose a heard of sheep. It is 20 miles to the grocery store and gas station. I've lived in rural areas for the last 30 years. My last home of 27 years was three acres with woods all around and this one is ten acres in the flatlands of Illinois. Big difference. I'm on the last property before the river bottom crop land. There are several thousand acres to my north with no houses. I do have trees on my property. I cannot imagine living in town anymore. Seems like the houses get closer together all the time.

It's nice in the summer, but sometimes in the winter it is a little hard to get around.

Bob

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.