Prowler Orange - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Prowler Orange

Hey guys just joined the forum but Ive been soaking up all your knowledge for over a year now while doing a frame off/swap on my 1949 chevy 3100 AD. Im about a week from paint and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with spraying PPG's prowler orange. Ill be buying it in dbu and will be spraying it over spi white epoxy reduced as a sealer. My 2 main questions are in general is this color a pain to work with or does it seem to be user friendly and 2nd how hard would it be to get a good color match if i painted the front clip and cab one day and the bed the next with similar weather conditions.? Ill be using spi universal clear and then cut and buff. any info on this color would be greatly appreciated..... Ill add some pics soon thanks again

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

It should be just like any other base coat. There's no reason you can't spray the parts on different days as long as you use the same number of coats.

The DBU isn't really that popular anymore. DBC is what most people use.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure with the amount of metallics that are in it if it would be a hard Cole to match. Also as far as the dbu I have read that it was the better choice for an all over job where the dbc was better for color matching and blending. Any other tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated ..!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

The engineers thought the color would lay out better and adhere since it it hardened. Dupont has the Chromatic premier line that does the same thing. It may be advantage if
your taping off for graphics but plenty of people use a regular base without problems as long as your following the recommended procedure.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

If it's a metallic I say no, not unless you have really did your home work and practiced. Can it be done, sure, but it is pretty tough for some people.

I have seen pros who can't for the life of them pull it off. For much more on the subject here is a "Basics of Basics" on the subject. Click here If everything is understood and the guide lines followed it can be pulled off.

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

After decades of painting... I never spray the outer body in sections. Even if it looks good under shop lights... it still may not match under all light conditions. If it doesn't match... think about what you will have to do to correct it!!!

It isn't worth the risk.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

You might notice it if it was a fleetside but with the large rear fenders and curves it probley won't be noticeable especially when using the same paint.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Well I guess that sums it up for me. It would be a lot easier for me to spray it on two consecutive days due to space in my shop but with what you guys are saying it looks like ill be painting it all at once... Can't really argue with you all when there's a 100 years of knowledge saying to paint it in one session.. One last question ( I think Haha) , I've got my spi 2k blocked down to 400, with this color should I block down to 600 before I spray my epoxy as a sealer or will the spi epoxy be ok over the 400 ? Thanks for all your help, I'm am just ready to get this thing painted....!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Deleted, I couldn't read.

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

HOLD ON HERE, I just read your original post again, painting it in two sessions is very do-able. Bighotroddin may have something here (he apparently read your post properly), if you paint the whole truck in two sections, with the fenders and hood and doors bolted on the cab one day. Then shoot the bed with the fenders off the next day this is VERY do-able.

You would REALLY have to scew something up to have a problem with doing that. Is this what you were thinking?

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 PM

Yeah the front fenders, hood, and cab one day and the bed and rear fenders the next.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

That would be fine! You still need to follow the rules on same primer color and same amount of coats and all that you see in the "Basics" just in case. But honestly you could really screw up and it wouldn't be seen so don't sweat it. Man am I glad Bighotroddin said something!

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Just doing the box if its a step side box should be do-able. Should be but I've done a lot of things that should be over the years that didn't work out. I painted a 33 chev coupe metallic blue a couple years ago in pieces on different days and its close and maybe no one can see it but I can when I look at it from different Angles.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

I am definitely glad to hear your more recent post because it will be so much easier for me in my current garage. I'm building a 50x60 garage at my h[IMG]www.gmail.com [/IMG] ouse now but I need to finish this one up before then. I'll be sure to follow all the basics so it comes out as close as possible. Thanks again guys ..!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

I have a 51 that I'm slowly working and another 65 Chevy fleetside for a friend and its pretty much impossible to paint the box bolted together. You have to hang the parts and unless your booth is the size of a airplane hanger you can't do everything at once.

Did you get your paint yet?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.