PSI Superchargers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Super Sport Freak

Wiki Edits: 0

PSI Superchargers

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this board. I've done the normal searches and did'nt come up with what I needed so here goes.
I am starting my next project car, a 1963 Chevy II Nova SS. I am going to shove a Blown 540 cid Big Block Chevy between the fenders, Turbo 400, 9 ". Here's my problem.
I am wanting this to be different so I thought it would be wild to install a PSI Supercharger on top instead of the normal roots supercharger. Just so you know, a PSI is normally a competition only supercharger widely used by Pro Mod, the Alky classes, and Top Fuel. I think I can decrease the drive ratio and tame it down to work on a Pro Street ride running racing gas. I have looked at Kebelco and this may be my second choice along with Littlefield and Mooneyham , but they are roots superchargers, where the PSI is a race bred screw Supercharger. Can anyone supply me with a web site or an address for PSI Superchargers?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

some info on PSI superchargers
Old 12-22-2003, 08:54 PM

http://www.psisuperchargers.com/
Old 12-23-2003, 06:28 AM

dont see alot of turbo setups on these cars..would definatley be different..maybe twin turbo..just a thought
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 AM

Any blown engine on the steet is cool. Most people don't know the diff. between a roots type and a PSI. There are lots of used roots type out there that will put outway more boost than a steet engine needs or can handle.I have a two wheel drive pulling truck with a 572 ci Arias withbillet alumium heads with 2.5" intake valves.It has a Kobelco blower ( 1471) that I run 65% overdrive to build about 2500 hp.It builds35 to 40 pounds of boost on the manifold.On the steet this would not be to workable.When Iwas using Chevystyle blocks cast or aluminum,Ifound it hard to keep the crankshaft in the oilpan if it was pushed to hard. If I were you I would look for a nice polished 871 sized roots, and set it up to run about half crank speed. With an 871 youshould still be able to sqeeze a dist. in stock location.Any bigger blower and you need ofsets. Intake manifolds to fit a roots to a big block are easy to find.Idon't even know if one is available for a PSI on a b.b. PSI's were not allowed into pulling so have no knowledge on them. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Super Sport Freak

Jcarter,
Thanks for all the advise. You are right about the differences between the blowers. My reasoning on this is many, but here are a few. A PSI screw supercharger is soooooo different and even if you know what a blower is you know that what you are looking at in the PSI is different, although setting beside the Kebelco it's hard to tell them apart. Next is how efficent it works, the screw vs the roots. On the street under the stop and go rigors of a street driven blower I think the screw may run cooler. I for sure understand why you guys in the tractor pulling sport must run the billet stuff. 60% over at 40lb of boost. That's asking to much of cast iron. Bye the way I am a huge fan of the pulling sports. I went to a drag race when I was very young and the second time I attended an event was a tractor pull. You can imagine my eyes when I saw what I saw playing in the dirt. Lastly I did not think about PSI making a drive for a BBC. Wonder if I could rig one up from say BDS or Littlefield? Do you know if the bolt pattern is the same on the PSI as is on a normal roots? Anyway, thanks for all the info. Flywhel

377_monte,
The PSI is a belt driven high boost output screw supercharger. It is a close cousin to a roots blower. Thanks for the input. FLYWHEL

Blownolds,
The web site that you gave me I tried but it takes me to, "Cars Classics Vintage Cars". I spent most of one day trying to find their web site thru search engines and just typing in different things, one of them being www.psisuperchargers.com, www.psiblowers.com, and www.psiracing.com. I came up with zilch. I am not sure why www.psisuperchargers.com takes me to this particular web site but, stranger things happen on this computer every day. Thanks for your input, though. FLYWHEL

Jmark,
Thanks for your input. I did'nt come up with an address, but you gave me an idea. I "E" mailed NHRA, they would surely be able to help as that's all that's being talked about is the PSI superchargers. Thanks again for your input. FLYWHEL

Last edited by Flywhel; 12-23-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Rooster

from what I've read about blowers, they are very streetable and actually seem idealy suited for a street rod. but why a psi? to be different? if that's what it takes to be different in your neighborhood you must be living in hotrod heaven. maybe you're not being realistic. leave the psi for the promods where they belong. your car will be faster, more streetable and FAR less expensive with a 6-71 or 8-71. dollar for dollar I think holley's 420 blower is the best value. not noticable any smaller than an 8-71 and from what I've heard far more reliable.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwildgrin
if that's what it takes to be different in your neighborhood you must be living in hotrod heaven.
I just thought that was funny. Fly, I'm building a 62 Nova, with a roots type blower, and I understand about the being different part. Honestly, I feel a turbo would be a little more "different". I still haven't looked at the PSI yet, so I'll check it out too...
Old 12-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Super Sport Freak

bigwildgrin,
Well beings that you asked, here's my think'in. Different for sure, as the PSI is a screw type blower not a roots. I have looked at Whipple as they also are screw type blowers, but they seem more geared around Fuel Injection set-ups. They are also a bit small as well as your Holley 420. My engine combo is centered around a Dart 540 block and a small blower would just piss this engine off. An 8-71 is the minimum for this engine to reap the benifits. A PSI may be out for two reasons, as explained in jcarter's post. I am looking for a 8-71 to a 10-71 and the PSI blowers may start in size well above that. PSI may not even have a reliable drive for a BBC, as most PSI blowers I have seen have been on Hemi engines. Lastly a blower bigger than a 10-71 will cause some major install problems. I am in the info gathering stage and if given a choice between a roots and a screw supercharger most anyone will tell you that the screw of the same size will out power a roots in almost all situations. They are efficent, more so than a roots, they run cooler, and they are a true compressor, meaning they compress in the blower case not the manifold like a roots. All that means more power, and cooler running temps. Also I want to be different, or did I already say that. Thanks for your input bigwildgrin. FLYWHEL

gt2betubbed,
Ain't them early duece's cool. I had a shot at a 62 and almost bought it as that is also my birth year, but the 63 came up and it was an SS, the Chevy II's first year of the SS and I am above all but Chevy an SS man. I love anything Chevy put out that carried the SS package. I've also owned a Big Block tunnel rammed 1967 Chevelle SS, that I wish a hundred times I had kept. If you want to know a little more about the blower itself look at the NHRA and the IHRA sites as the PSI blower is the talk right now. They are just awesome when it comes to pumping out serious horse power when hundreths of a second means you race the next round or the next weekend. Jcarter said they have not allowed them in the pulling sports yet. I am going to ask jcarter about his Kebelco blower. I would say he could also offer some info that would do us both some good. My engine build will be a 540. I looked at the 572 cid for a long time but the tall deck block is gauranteed to offer trouble in the install for all but the race cars and the truely awesome alky burning pulling trucks and multi engined tractors. Man, jcarter brought back some cool memories for me. I have been looking at my tractor pull pix ever since I got home. Let me know how your 62 is progressing. I have yet to start mine yet, buit I can't wait. Thanks for the input, FLYWHEL

jcarter,
I would be interested in anything you could tell me about your Kebelco blower, ease of set up, performance compared to what you were running, how is your's set up, who's drive did you use, etc. I have the Kebelco catalog and if I remember right they do not offer complete blower bolt ons. I am trying to achieve 1000 hp on 114 octane racing gas, with a 10% overdrive at around 12 to 15 lb of boost. Speed-O-Motive has an engine that is so close to what I am trying to get it may be worth my while to look farther into it. Speed-O-Motive says they Dyno every engine they build and I see "Super Chevy" has been using them almost exclusively for their build ups and machine work. With this set-up in about 1 hour I can switch the top and bottom pullys and run a 10% under drive and run 93 octane pump gas with a timing change, and some carb adjustments. Anyway, I have never had a blown motor built before but have always wanted one, since the first time I heard that truely mesmorizing whine and that roller cam begging for the throttle. Thanks for any advise you can give. FLYWHEL

Last edited by Flywhel; 12-23-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:39 PM

I have a twin engine boat that i run Mooneyham 1471's on, they are very dependable. They are tall decks with 4.50 stroke and
4.565 bore, i think thats about 592ci. They make 1004 hp. on
93 octane gas with 10 lbs. of boost with intercoolers. Hp. dropped 70 without water in intercooler.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 PM

I'm sorry, I also do not know why the PSI site seems to be linking to that "classic cars" site. Huh.

Pick up a National Dragster and look in the back. I think PSI is in AZ. Maybe just go to the local public library and look in the AZ phone books and you might find them simple as that.

But are you prepared to pay over $6,000 for a PSI setup??

I know a couple supercharger dealers that get $4000 for USED PSI's (blower only, too).

If you just want the whine, how about checking into high-helix rotors for standard roots blowers?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:02 AM

Last photo:

jcarter and Blownolds,
If you guys have a second could you please take a look at my post http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...246#post201246
both of you seem to have some experience with blowers. I have a few questions that I would like to hear your input on.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:58 AM

i know what a psi is and roots too...i was suggesting you put a turbo setup on it..like i said you dont see many turbo setups on early cars.and turbos are plenty streetable..sorry for the confusion i guess i shouldve worded my post different
Old 12-24-2003, 08:24 AM

Camaroman, I read your link and don't think I could offer an intelligent reply. I in my application, we start with about 10.5 to 1 pistons, heads thatflow as much air as we can get,push as much air into the engine that we can, and correspondingly the correct amount of methonal.On a normal pass down a 300 foot track will burn 5 to 6 gallons of fuel. I have never ran a blown gas engine.We don't run cooling on our pullers and alcohal burns a little cooler than gas, but we have to burn more of it to get the same power. My first post was to give a heads up to some of the installation problems of a PSI. You need to see if an intake manifold is available for a PSI to a b.b. The blower drive would be for a PSI only,they don't interchange as some roots style do.My Kobelco takes a different drive than a Littlefield or Moonyham. I also have a SCS which takes a different one again.The drive length is critical also to gettour pulleys to line up and clear waterpump or any thing else on front of engine.You also need clearance at the back of the blower for your ignition. Also alot of whine when you hear a blown engine running is the gears in the frontdrive.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:19 PM

Just so Camaroman doesn't get confused, 10.5:1CR is fine in a supercharged alky engine (I had a friend with 12.5 pistons in his alky blower engine). But gas engines need to be much lower. Just to clarify the comment on 10.5 CR.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.