Pucker up ladies and gentlemen... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
Im surprised more people dont work 14 hour days, so they only have to commute to work 3 times a week.
I already do that a lot of days, I wish I could do the 3 day week.

I put $40.00 in my Jeep today, it's a good thing that it was over half full when I pulled up to the pump.

Both I-80 and I-35 were packed yesterday. I was headed North on I-35 and it looked like half the state of Kansas was out there with me. One buddy of mime was going to drive his semi twenty miles out of the way on the way home to take the two lanes home, he thought it would be more peaceful. What is it going to take before more of them stay home?

If you are using the diesel pumps where I usually fill up and you pay with a credit card outside they stop at $100.00. Most days I have to start the pumps four times to fill the truck and that is just for one day's driving.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Regular fuel is 4.13 at it's cheapest place today around here for the weekend, and I have always stressed maintenance to my customers. Keeping up with the tire pressures, tune-ups, and filter changes is a must to maintain fuel economy. I use my hand held portable 5-gas analyzer on every vehicle I work on to give me more accurate information on their vehicles performance. Keep checking your tire inflation pressures and keep track of your mileage between oil and filter changes along with changing (or cleaning your K&N) air filter, and replace your fuel filter every 5th or 6th oil change, assuming you change your oil every 3000 miles.

Every little bit that you do helps, but I have found tire pressures to be a large factor in fuel mileage.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by montea

i dont understand why other places get it cheaper and it comes from here.

T-A-X-E-S
Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 AM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

where I live regular is 3.74 at the cheapest. It's 3.86 at some. Diesel is around $4.50
Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

$3.79 in Buffalo, Texas - - - I made a beer run (7 miles away) yesterday and Brookshire Bros went from $3.75 to $3.85 before I could get back. (commodity trading right???)
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Gas prices have forced me to compromise all my former beliefs about cars.
I used to hate jap-crap 4 bangers. Recently ,I was spending 40 dollars a day for gas to commute to work with my V-8 equipped ride. Thats 800 dollars a month ! Rent money , dang near........
So , I bartered a side job and got a '93 Honda Civic Hatchback. 290,000 miles on it. It runs like a top. Got me to thinking... : you won't find many V8's with 290,000 on the clock . Then I started driving the thing daily. 10 - 12 dollars a day , even at current prices !!! This zippy little 4-banger will cruise at 80 mph , no problems. It's fast as heck , will pass a vehicle like nothing is there , and it handles like a dream. all while being incredibly fuel efficient.
Now I'm thinking : what took me so long to like these cars ? I don't know if I'll ever spend the dough to feed an unefficient V8 again. If I was to play with this thing ( header , intake , exhaust , turbo , Nos , etc. ) she'd be pretty b a d a s s !!!
Fusk Exxon/Mobile and George Bush !! I'm ridin rice and loving it.
Signed ,
79C10 ( former) lover of American V8's
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
I used to hate jap-crap 4 bangers. Recently ,I was spending 40 dollars a day for gas to commute to work with my V-8 equipped ride. Thats 800 dollars a month ! Rent money , dang near........
So , I bartered a side job and got a '93 Honda Civic Hatchback. 290,000 miles on it. It runs like a top. Got me to thinking... : you won't find many V8's with 290,000 on the clock . Then I started driving the thing daily. 10 - 12 dollars a day , even at current prices !!! This zippy little 4-banger will cruise at 80 mph , no problems. It's fast as heck , will pass a vehicle like nothing is there , and it handles like a dream. all while being incredibly fuel efficient.
Now I'm thinking : what took me so long to like these cars ? I don't know if I'll ever spend the dough to feed an unefficient V8 again. If I was to play with this thing ( header , intake , exhaust , turbo , Nos , etc. ) she'd be pretty b a d a s s !!!
Signed ,
Yup, as Dylan used to sing "The Times They Are A Changing"
Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Yup, as Dylan used to sing "The Times They Are A Changing"
Yeah , it's freekin sad. Literally. I just said that exact quote to a nice old man I just did some work for. He had commented on how not many people gave a dang about one another , respect was a dying art , government headed south , country lookin dim , etc. .
I told him the exact same thing , though. "The times they are a changin' " .
Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

A buddy of mine last night traded his warmed up BBC in his 1 ton dually with air bags, straight across for a lifted 2000 V6 Toyota 2WD Truck that needs upper ball joints and tires. He figures within 6 to 8 weeks he will be money ahead on fuel savings alone.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
A buddy of mine last night traded his warmed up BBC in his 1 ton dually with air bags, straight across for a lifted 2000 V6 Toyota 2WD Truck that needs upper ball joints and tires. He figures within 6 to 8 weeks he will be money ahead on fuel savings alone.
Sad indeed, I really should sell the Tri-5 but I'm holding out as long as I can - - - thank God I have a Yota & Nissan PU for DD's
Old 05-31-2008, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Fellows this is what a lot of us have been saying for years. Look around and see how many big 4X4s and other huge gas hogs are on the streets carrying only one or two people! We could solve the gas problem almost overnight if everyone who owns one of these beasts got a 4 banger with twice the mileage to do the commute and chores. The country's overall oil use would plunge and the best part is we would not have to park our SUVs and hotrods, just drive them when the time is right. It just makes no sense to use a two ton V8 vehicle to carry one person to work or the grocery store but just look around at any busy intersection at all the big SUVs and other gas guzzlers, most with only one or two passengers. Now imagine if all of those were suddenly replaced by light weight fuel efficient vehicles and then multiply that by the many thousands of scenes just like it all over the country and you get an idea of how much oil would be saved. If that happened the price of gas would fall along with the demand as the oil companies, along with OPEC, tried to stimulate higher use. Supply and demand works both ways!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Fellows this is what a lot of us have been saying for years. Look around and see how many big 4X4s and other huge gas hogs are on the streets carrying only one or two people! We could solve the gas problem almost overnight if everyone who owns one of these beasts got a 4 banger with twice the mileage to do the commute and chores. The country's overall oil use would plunge and the best part is we would not have to park our SUVs and hotrods, just drive them when the time is right. It just makes no sense to use a two ton V8 vehicle to carry one person to work or the grocery store but just look around at any busy intersection at all the big SUVs and other gas guzzlers, most with only one or two passengers. Now imagine if all of those were suddenly replaced by light weight fuel efficient vehicles and then multiply that by the many thousands of scenes just like it all over the country and you get an idea of how much oil would be saved. If that happened the price of gas would fall along with the demand as the oil companies, along with OPEC, tried to stimulate higher use. Supply and demand works both ways!
Well said !
Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I just paid $4.029 for 87 for my Ford Guzzler V10. It spends a lot of time sitting in the driveway these days. One positive note - it wont wear out that way - but then I'm retired and want to go.....

Dave W
Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
Signed ,

Now that is all fine & dandy ........

until. . . .

it comes time to trade paint!

3 times i been in a 40MPH + wreck in a full size American truck & lived to tell the tale.

there is no way a Honda anything is going to provide you with any support against a Tri Axel dump truck.

My suburban did.

No way a Subaru is going to take the hit that a 70 + year old grandma driving a 90 somthing cougar that knocked a tommy lift off a full size ford work truck with enuf energy left to kill my lawn mower trailer bend the insert & send me into a jack knife.

My Ford F~250 did.

That Toyota Corolla that double kissed my Suburban while sliding thru a stop sign.

Next day all 5 of us walked out of the Hospital .

The Toyota people they were not as fortunate.

I have worked in the Auto salvage business for a long time & while the technology improves cars get lighter & safer with their air bags & what nots .

I know what a 60 MPH head on wreck looks like & smells like.

So pay now or pay later .

I will keep my Paid for gas guzzling Suburban & 3+3 Dualie because lord know people don't drive safer than they did 20 years ago.

Call it Heavy Metal Noise.

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slowride #3 1_30 (Small).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	30337   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowride#3 3_00 (Small).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	30338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Death Wreck.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	30339  

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Some of our Hot Rods/Sweet Rides/Classics are becoming very expensive "Eye Candy" - - - however, I do go out and kiss mine good night every night - - - hell, it's at least something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.