Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/off-topic/)
-   -   Pucker up ladies and gentlemen... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pucker-up-ladies-gentlemen-139151.html)

Blazin72 05-22-2008 11:39 PM

Pucker up ladies and gentlemen...

I paid $4.03/gallon for regular today. A full tank set me back $116.41. What's worse is that the freakin pump shut off at $75 and I had to hang up the nozzle and start over. I hope they start thinking about raising the limit on the pumps because at the rate we're going even average sized cars are going to start hitting that mark.

I wish I had my camera today because I passed a gas station advertising diesel at $4.97/gallon.

MARTINSR 05-23-2008 09:05 AM

I don't know about your area, but around here there are a LOT of folks who decided to cash in on their homes in the cities and buy a MANSION out in the valley where property was (WAS) cheaper. I know of a lot of people who commute fifty or more miles each way! I work with a guy who commutes 60 EACH WAY every day. These people are spending a LOT on fuel these days!

I live six miles from work and it hurts filling up that $70 tank. And I only have to do it every other week.

Brian

Irelands child 05-23-2008 05:56 PM

I was "lucky" ( :pain: ) today - only paid $3.91/gal when the local ExxonMobil was $4.07. Diesel is $5.19 and up/gal ....and folks keep asking my why since I bought an F350 that it wasn't a diesel. Since the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels are getting about the same fuel mileage as my 6.8 V10 gasser, not hard to figure with the added costs of maintenance plus the $8800 premium for that engine.

Dave W

schnitz 05-23-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
I was "lucky" ( :pain: ) today - only paid $3.91/gal when the local ExxonMobil was $4.07. Diesel is $5.19 and up/gal ....and folks keep asking my why since I bought an F350 that it wasn't a diesel. Since the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels are getting about the same fuel mileage as my 6.8 V10 gasser, not hard to figure with the added costs of maintenance plus the $8800 premium for that engine.

Dave W

I saw somewhere today that it costs approx. $70 to fill an Accord, and roughly $85 to fill a fullsize truck. I can see things getting a lot uglier as time goes by as the prices climb higher. When people have to work for 8-10 days a month just to pay for the gas to get to work, well, people will start to revolt. Better stock up on locking gas caps and ammo for the shotgun...

In a while, Chet.

BMM 05-23-2008 06:35 PM

Im surprised more people dont work 14 hour days, so they only have to commute to work 3 times a week.

Rob Keller 05-23-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMM
Im surprised more people dont work 14 hour days, so they only have to commute to work 3 times a week.

When I was Younger I always wanted to just work 40 ~ 48 straight thru.

Then sleep for a day & have 4 days in a row to do What eva!

R :thumbup:

schnitz 05-23-2008 06:47 PM

I think there's a new country song out called "I can sleep when I'm dead". Sounds pretty truthful now. Need to work right up to the visitation just to afford the gas to get to the cemetary....

In a while, Chet.

Blazin72 05-23-2008 07:58 PM

Brian, a lot of people commute like that around here too. I commute 35 miles one way to work. When I don't work extended shifts (about half of the time) I ride the bus, which is completely paid for and supplied by the government strictly for use by shipyard workers only. I have a LOT of money by riding the bus. Even though I really hate riding it.

Schnitz, the last time I paid less than $90 to fill the 34 gallon tank in my Silverado was in 2006 right after I bought it. Tanks ran right about $88.

The cost to fill the tank in my 96 Accord just went over $50, but that's only 13 gallons or so. I still consider that a bargain since I had been relying on my truck as my sole mode of transportation for almost two years and it was running $95-$105/tank for most of that time. I've saved nearly $1500 in gas since I bought the Honda in December. The car cost me $3800 and I figure I'll make up the rest of the difference by the end of the year. And as an added bonus I keep the wear and tear down on my truck.

Rob Keller 05-23-2008 08:42 PM

I saw on the local news but was unable to find the link that a few of the bus lines going into Orlando were being shut down because of the price of fuel. :rolleyes:

The hole Thing is F*^#$ing retarded!.

When is the last time you went for a ride just to go for a ride?

R :thumbup:

Blazin72 05-23-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Keller
I saw on the local news but was unable to find the link that a few of the bus lines going into Orlando were being shut down because of the price of fuel. :rolleyes:

The hole Thing is F*^#$ing retarded!.

There have been reports that some municipalities and cities in Washington and Oregon are doing the same thing. There is even at least one school district consolidating (cutting) school bus routes!

coldknock 05-23-2008 11:46 PM

I just lost two long time employees to another parts house. They took a cut in pay and still came out better because of being closer to home. My assistant manager had to get a second job and now his available hours are limited. I'm working 70+ hrs a week on a 40hr salary because of it.

I had to postpone my yearly trip to North Carolina to visit my brother and his family because I can't afford the cost of the gas. $300 just for the gas to get there and back.

I've already ditched cable television. I'm stocking up on wood for next winter because I can't afford natural gas anymore. I won't be using ac this summer. If it wasn't for saving the cost of gas and stamps to pay bills I wouldn't keep internet service or a home phone.

I do not see a positive flipside to being fleeced at the pump.

Larry

dinger 05-24-2008 09:13 AM

This is just the beginning. The high cost of fuel will raise the price of everything that's transported, recession sets in because people have to eat, can't do much else, disposable income takes a dump, no new president on the horizon, this one will sit on his thumbs til he's done, we're in for a 3 year spiral, the way I see it. I hope like heqq I am wrong but it's not a rosy future for anyone right now, money-wise....

wretched ratchet 05-24-2008 10:02 AM

My oldest commutes about 50 miles one way and his comments were "Dad, I just try not to think about it" however, it won't be long before we can't ignore it. We are on a fixed income and it is starting to really effect our lifestyle more and more each day.

Bottomline: if this continues then we will see things occur that we never expected to see in our lifetime ! :(

BMM 05-24-2008 05:09 PM

Just goes to show how much we take for granted our lifestyle. I know MANY people who hate the big city. But, I know people who live in Vancouver who have never driven, never owned a car, and never paid for gas.

Unfortuently, for us, not driving is like ripping a painters hands off.

montea 05-24-2008 07:51 PM

Today gas is $1.32/litre ($4.99/gallon) here and i Topped up my truck for $29 after a weeks of driving to and from work (aproxx2km/1.2Miles 1 way)

couple of weeks ago i filled up one of our work trucks a new dodge ram 1500 and it was $172.50

i dont understand why other places get it cheaper and it comes from here.