puckering - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM
jkrestoration

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You know what Dan...the reason I stopped looking at the interior section of this site is for one reason...you! I had no idea that the job of a moderator was to belittle everyones opinion on how something is done. EVERY post I have ever put on here has been responded to by you with some sort of attack towards how I... and for that matter, anybody elses way of doing things except yours. The last time I was on here I thought I saw you were retiring from this site so I figured maybe I would see some other opinions about work. As far as work goes I would put my work up against yours anyday. I know I do great work so your childish comments mean nothing to me but to the other people on here that may be starting off you should be ashamed of the way you discourage them with your comments towards their work and how they do things. Aren't these sites supposed to help people and encourage them with suggestions on how to do things better? You should keep an open mind towards changes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrestorationllc
...but from looking at some of the other threads your name is just about on all of them....maybe ill search for another website with a little less ego...
There is a good reason Dan's name is on just about every interior thread. Because he's a first rate upholsterer AND he is willing to share his experience with everyone who comes here, be they newbie or seasoned veteran.

He doesn't answer our questions to boost his ego, he can get all the ego boosting he needs just by listening to his customers' praise. No, he answers our questions and provides us with his tutorials because he is a true artist and craftsman who thrives on seeing others learn and grow. He believes in sharing his craft, not hiding it away as some clever secret.

So my hat is off to Dan for each and every post with his name on it. I only wish there were even MORE.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Very well said. These bolsters are top stitched, with gradual curves in certain areas and tighter curves in other areas. You could make some "V" cuts in the areas that have the tight turns before top stitching, and trimming the excess after the top stitching is done would be a good idea there too, but on the other areas it would not be necessary.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
You know what Dan...the reason I stopped looking at the interior section of this site is for one reason...you! I had no idea that the job of a moderator was to belittle everyones opinion on how something is done. EVERY post I have ever put on here has been responded to by you with some sort of attack towards how I... and for that matter, anybody elses way of doing things except yours. The last time I was on here I thought I saw you were retiring from this site so I figured maybe I would see some other opinions about work. As far as work goes I would put my work up against yours anyday. I know I do great work so your childish comments mean nothing to me but to the other people on here that may be starting off you should be ashamed of the way you discourage them with your comments towards their work and how they do things. Aren't these sites supposed to help people and encourage them with suggestions on how to do things better? You should keep an open mind towards changes.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me childish. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a know -it-all, I'm trying to give beginning upholsterers and sewers the best, most fool-proof ways of doing things I can think of. All of my methods and techniques have been gleaned from 36 years of doing the best work possible, and are tried and true. I stake my reputation on all of them. As far as your work goes, I've never seen you post a picture of anything you've ever done, so there's no way to know how good you are. I post pictures of a lot of my work when it is something new or a little unusual and I promise you that none of my seat covers have ever had a heat gun or a steamer anywhere near them.

As far as change goes, I consider every new product or technique I come across. I always have and always will change and recommend change to others when I find a better product or a better technique.

The last time you were on here you recommended soaking down carpet and seat covers to clean them, and I disagreed with you. Am I not entitled to my opinion, and did my opinions not make sense? Once again, having a different opinion than yours does not make me childish, it just means I have a different opinion. I have disagreed with you without calling you names and if anyone else wants to follow your methods, they are welcome to.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
... but to the other people on here that may be starting off you should be ashamed of the way you discourage them with your comments towards their work and how they do things.
Excuse me? But for the record can you name even one member "starting off" with upholstery whom Dan has discouraged? By your own admission, you don't frequent the upholstery forum. So your opinions regarding ANYONE on this forum are suspect at best, and most of all your opinions regarding Dan TwoLakes.

If you did frequent this forum you would find dozens, perhaps hundreds, of HR.Com members who have not just benefited from Dan's tutelage, but are willing to say time and time again in their posts how much help he has truly been to them. My quick search inputting YOUR user name, "jkrestorationllc", turns up not one single post where a member says you have been of the slightest help or assistance. If anyone should be ashamed, it is an inactive member (you have a grand total of 12 posts since you joined) who steps forward to attack one of our boards proven leaders who is here day in and day out to provide help and assistance.

Indeed you may be a top notch upholsterer. But around here we gauge a member by the quality of the work we see them do, their willingness to help others, and the manner in which they conduct their business here. We do NOT judge them as to whether they are always right or always wrong. But rather, by the strength of their arguments, the rationality of their thinking, and the civility with which they make their case.

These are the traits which make a guy like Dan TwoLakes such a valuable asset to this site. And when the day is done, they are the reason you will find yourself in a minority of one if you insist on continuing your disparaging remarks.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

/\ Well said..........

I am a total newbie to these forums and upholstery, for the most part it is always Dan that replies to my posts. His comments and ideas have been a great help to me already. I can respect the time he puts into his posts and his tutorials, that is one of the reasons I signed up to this site. It isn't all that often that you find people on forums that are willing to share their knowledge and try to help others.

Back on track:

When going to do the top-stitching, you open the cover and spread the seam, but do you pull on the seam to open it like a book? or should I say how hard do you pull on the seam, or do you pull on the seam at all?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When you topstitch, (that's what I call it, it's also called a lap fell seam) you fold both pieces in the same direction underneath and sew both sides down at once from the top side. When you French seam you fold one side one way and the other side the other way underneath and sew them down separartely from the top side. When you fold the fabric on either one of these, you pull slightly perpendicular to the stitch line so you can just see the stitches of the seam in the fabric from the top side.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-27-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan, I was wondering how hard to spread the seam.
I tried a French seam, with yellow thread on the black leather, not good enough to tackle that yet. worked OK on some scrap pieces but not on a cover, maybe someday.

Just getting ready to do the second set of bolster covers, will try a few things different on these. Relief cuts and trimming excess etc.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.