Pull Down Trunk Latch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pull Down Trunk Latch

Does anyone know of a source for a pull down electric trunk latch?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

go to a boneyard & look at the mid/full size GM & Ford cars. a lot of the higher $$$$ ones will have them... i know the Cadillac's, Park Ave(& clones), Linclons almost always have them....joe
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
go to a boneyard & look at the mid/full size GM & Ford cars. a lot of the higher $$$$ ones will have them... i know the Cadillac's, Park Ave(& clones), Linclons almost always have them....joe
Thanks I was looking for an online source vs taking a day off to do do that for an old used latch. I thought surely some one must make them for the hot rod industry.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
Does anyone know of a source for a pull down electric trunk latch?

Thanks!
Most of the time these peices are already missing from the cars in the boneyards. I'm hoping this has more to do with GM discontinuing the motors than the quality and reliability!

I initially bought a pulldown motor for a 1978 Monte Carlo for 40.00 on ebay but this setup has a cable driven motor and would have not been as clean of an installation. (I still have this unit and would sell it cheap!)

As I don't have a lot of room or interior panels to cover up the extra cabeling I decided to use a trunk pulldown unit from a early 90's Cadillac

I eventually found both the pull-down motor on eBay for 20.00 (nearly 400.00 new) and the upper latch and solenoid for 5.00

The worse part of the install now is figuring out the wiring - as I haven't been able to find an affordable source for a wiring diagram. I think I am close but haven't had a chance to get back on the car and finish the install...Here's some pictures of the rough install of the pulldown motor...

Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

What do you mean cable driven motor?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I have been looking at them on Ebay but I am just not sure of what you are getting when you look at them. That was one reason I was looking to see if anyone was making an aftermarket set up. I may have to just go to the junk yard to get a good look at them.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
I have been looking at them on Ebay but I am just not sure of what you are getting when you look at them. That was one reason I was looking to see if anyone was making an aftermarket set up. I may have to just go to the junk yard to get a good look at them.
NONE of the wrecking yards around here had either of the pieces. I have not found anyone doing aftermarket pulldown systems - it seems everyone likes the "fully automated" trunk opening system using linear actuators. Personally I don't care for "automagic raising" and lowering of hoods, doors, whatever...I consider this fluff with no substance - meaning if it doesn't make it look better or go faster it's not for me!

Here's what the 78 monte setup looks like. In the second pic you can see the pull down portion which is driven by cable from the motor connected on the other end. The nice thing about this setup would be a smaller footprint for the pulldown assembly at the mounting point than the one I went with.

As far as the ones on ebay go - the motors (other than the cable driven type) are pretty simple.

The ebay ad I bought my Cadillac pulldown assembly from stated the motor worked and the users feedback was great so for 20.00 I figured it was worth any risk. The latch portion with the release solenoid was the same thing - the listing said it worked and for 5.00 how could I go wrong?

The one piece that breaks a lot is the plastic portion that the unit mounts with, but these are cheap and readily available on ebay.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I see what you mean now. I am using this for a front trunk on a Pantera. There is so much weather strip surface area and the hood is so flat I really need to slam it to latch it. I think a pull down would be much better.

One issue for me is I would love the latch itself to be part of the pull down instead of the hook. I think I found one on ebay where the latch itself pulls down so I don't have to rig anything to the lid itself (other then a hook).

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.