Pulled plugs while running, nothing changes - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Last night I did a comp. test. All cylinders are at 90. The timing is on. Wires are right. I did notice the plugs which are new are now black. To much fuel un burned. Sounds like I better start looking to replace the heads or the injectors to 305 ones. What you think.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by allansmith859 View Post
Last night I did a comp. test. All cylinders are at 90. The timing is on. Wires are right. I did notice the plugs which are new are now black. To much fuel un burned. Sounds like I better start looking to replace the heads or the injectors to 305 ones. What you think.

Sounds about right. The 350 heads are giving no compression and you're dumping too much fuel in there.

Don't forget the ECM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

yea why the hell did you install 350 head son a 305? and the 350 ECM will never work right, You need to get a prom chip out of a 305 truck at the junkyard and some good TPI 305 heads, don't waste your time installing some TBI 305 heads they suck for flow.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Well Thats the only heas I have. Well I also have some 083 350 heads and vortec 906 heads but no 305 heads. Where does the chip go. When I looked at my ecm all I seen was just the box that the harness is plugged into.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Well Thats the only heas I have. Well I also have some 083 350 heads and vortec 906 heads but no 305 heads. Where does the chip go. When I looked at my ecm all I seen was just the box that the harness is plugged into.
Just grab a complete computer and plug and play unless the wiring harnesses are different.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Booty Time, Across the USA

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

A 305 will take the 906 vortec fine. That is a solid head for a 305. Mill them to around 60-61cc for the compression, I did. In my project journal , you can see 906 vortec heads bolt on a 305 just fine. They work well with the series 2 GM v6 beehive springs. Why would you, the guy asked. Better performance and the same mileage, updated technology that behaves well under more driving conditions, tows like a bastard.

Do a clt see if you are holding compression. It is possible the current head chambers are to big to make the cranking pressure.

Last edited by spinn; 11-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM

I was told the heads I have are 64 cc so I figured they would be ok to use. I knoe they are the swirl port head that noone like but they are truck heads for low end torque thats why I kept them and didnt use the vortec. Do I have to mill the vortec heads down. I dont have the extra money to get them done or the time to wait. Also I have heard and seen many people using 350 heads on 305s. I didnt think it would hurt anything cause Ive seen it done. Actually my neighbor has 350 heads (193s) on his 55 chevy with a 305 and it runs good.

Last edited by allansmith859; 11-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Well guys I finally figured it out. #4 spark plug had no gap. Stupid huh but very easy to over look. But that shows you, you dont need a new ecm or throttle body or different heads to do this typ of swap.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

The 305s I have compression checked usually read between 340 to 360 LBs ! So the 90 lbs you have is really low! Did you crank the engine till the needle didn't climb any more? Was that a dry check or a wet check? Did you do a leak down? If I pulled around 90 lb readings on a small block chevy I would say it needs an overhaul LOL If your satisfied with that fine! But you came on here for good advice and ignore what all of us have told you in good faith! and now insinuate we are all wrong because you found a plug not gapped

You cant even gap plugs!!!! You are then trying to teach us an automotive class by your statment!!

"But that shows you, you dont need a new ecm or throttle body or different heads to do this typ of swap."

That's insulting to all the very knowledgeable men that wasted their valuable time with you!!!!

And one plug not gaped would not make an entire bank of 4 cylinders 1 3 5 7 not fire? What cause did you find for that? It looks like we all wasted time with you on all 3 threads!

The next thread you start I wont even waste my time reading!!!!!

Jester
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM

First of all I didnt say you were all wrong, and not everyone is right, and sometimes there are more than one right answer. Second the plugs I bought were pre gaped platinum plugs that were fine when I took them out and I babied them trying not to damage them. My buddy must have dropped one of them cause he put them in while I was working on something else. Third I dont need a ECM, Throttle Body, Or different heads like a bunch of people said. Im not trying to teach anyone anything. Im simply saying that it is not nessecary to do that cause I know from experience. Fourth, I didnt insult anyone, I am greatful to get advise from everyone that chimed in, well except for you now. I could care less what you think now. I cant believe you got insulted by me saying that I dont need to change out a bunch of stuff to make my engine run. That would be useful info for someone else if they have to do the same thing. And yes 90 psi is low and I plan on taking care of that but I dont need different heads. Actually anything below 90 is when something mechanically inside the engine is burnt or broken. The truck is running good for now. Go cry somewhere else. If there is a way to block you I will so you dont have to worry about it. C-ya have a nice day ole buddy

Last edited by allansmith859; 11-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
the plugs I bought were pre gaped platinum plugs that were fine when I took them out and I babied them trying not to damage them. My buddy must have dropped one of them cause he put them in while I was working on something else.
Yeah, you babied them alright!! And blamed someone else.....So, EXPERT, tell us how it killed 4 cylinders on one side.

Oh and good luck getting a straight answer next time you have a problem!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

and make a note that there are set gap plugs, yes they are pre gapped that doesn't mean its the gap for your engine, 1 plug might fir several other engines with different gaps, always gap your plugs...and don't use platinum in anything that has decent plug access, just use regular plugs and change em regular, platinums are only good for cars with really hard to reach plugs. Its a wear thing, not really a performance thing.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM

They were specifically for my vehicle as far as what the gap was. Ya I didnt know thats what they were for. I thought they had a better apark.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 AM

RichieHD, I dont get why your attacking me. Your makin me out to be the ******* but you are the one being a bully. And my neighbor did put the plugs in my truck. And when I took them out of my truck they were perfect so I wrapped them in a wrag, stuck them in a box and put them on the top shelf so when i was ready for them I assumed they were perfect. You dont have to be a dick head cause I made a simple mistake on something I was working on. And obviously the left was firing. All I said was I pulled the plugs and nothing happened and someone else on here said my cylinders are not firing. Well i did it again and 4 did change so thats how I figured it out. Stop makin me out to be the dick man.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.