Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pulled rocker stud, and more? :(
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: 336 Stroker: Teardown
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pulled rocker stud, and more? :(

This past Friday my 350 was running like absolute crap, like only 7 cylinders were firing. Finally got back home today and pulled the right valve cover since I was hearing a tapping on that side. First thing I see if the #4 intake rocker is extremely loose, but the nut it the same height as the others. So my pops makes me tighten it back down against my better judgement. You guessed it, it had been pulling out and as soon as I started it it pulled out even more. So a bit more of an inspection reveals that the #4 exhause rocker doesn't move at all, and neither does the pushrod. A little persuasion and I manages to push on the pushrod and force the lifter back into it's bore, once again against my better judgement. So now I've got a pulled rocker stud, and what seems like a lifter frozen in the lifter bore. Major PITA. And to top it all off, the old man, of course being a hard-headed so-and-so, says that drilling the stud hold out and tapping it for a screw in stud is a horrible idea.

So does anyone else have any ideas? Pinning the stud is out of the question, a certain SOMEONE's too hard headed to take it to the machine shop.