Hot Rod Forum banner

Pulley alignment

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MI2600 
#1 ·
Im having trouble aligning the pulleys on my 1980 camaro. The pulleys are new and are the deep V type. My problem is the water pump pulley, it needs to be shimmed out to align with the Alt and crank pulley. But after it is shimmed out, it no longer aligns with the power steering pulley. I can get the belts on, but they are definately off and the water pump pulley is being stressed and making noise. Any suggestions??? Should i shim the power steering pulley out and if so how do i do that?

#3 ·
Go in to your local plumbing supply and pick up a piece of "schedule 40" black pipe in 1/2 inch O.D. Cut off what you need with a hack saw and grind to fit. The thick wall on this pipe will give you the rigidity that you need.

Washers are messy and sometimes you just can't keep them all together.

Also, you can move the pulley out a smidget on the shaft if you place a spacer behind it and re=tighten.

#4 ·
toddiyaayas said:
Im having trouble aligning the pulleys on my 1980 camaro. The pulleys are new and are the deep V type. My problem is the water pump pulley, it needs to be shimmed out to align with the Alt and crank pulley. But after it is shimmed out, it no longer aligns with the power steering pulley. I can get the belts on, but they are definately off and the water pump pulley is being stressed and making noise. Any suggestions??? Should i shim the power steering pulley out and if so how do i do that?
Power steering pumps are usually on a dedicated belt. Trying to get a v-belt to run everything like a serpentine will force the belt to try and deliver more power than it's designed for. Typically low power devices such as the water pump and alternator are on a common belt. Power steering and air conditioning compressors have theirs independently.

Bogie

#5 ·
good point alittle 1,

wrap the edge of the stack of fender washers with a layer of masking tape, start the bolt, if it shows, leave a bit of a tape tail so you can pull off the tape before tightening...

LOL, (I hate the stuff!) just a dab of 3M weather strip adhesive "yellow snot" will glue them together

#6 ·
are you running a aftermarket water pump ?
i had the same problem , took it back and again same mess .
bought it from hot rod parts place .
i put a stock one back on and no worries , fixed it .
try a stocker and see if you have a fix .
now if your bottom pulley is out farther than your power steering , i've run across this and the balancer wasn't all the way on .checked it with a square and measured off another engine .

stay in the groove

#7 ·
There are 2 belts, 1 goes around the crank, wp and alt, and the other goes around the crank, wp and pwr steering. The water pump is not aftermarket but the pulleys are. gonna play around with it this evening and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the replies

#8 ·
I've used washers on various equipment. I cut a slot in a few washers so they could be placed onto the bolt after the bolt is installed loosely so that the proper alignment is achieved. When satisfied, you can replace the slotted washers with whole ones, or just leave them there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.