Pulling 49 Olds Big Six - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Pulling 49 Olds Big Six

Should I pull the engine and transmission together? I'm a little nervous about doing that because (a) no service manual, (b) never pulled one like this before. It's an Olds "Big Six", flathead, looks like it weighs as much as a big block V8, and the transmission is a 4-speed Hydramatic. Both were working when it was parked about 1977. The engine still turns easily.

Which poses less risk to the machinery, separating before pulling or pulling as a unit? They won't be going back in, but I don't want to ruin a piece of history by ignorance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've been contemplating the same very thing, I have a Buick straight 8 with a 3 on tree and I'm going to give it a shot, the trans is the same general size on mine as the hydramatic....and all cast iron, if your using a normal engine hoist I would possibly think about using a chainfall on a fixed mount (the oak tree principle) I'll prob end up usingthe local fork lift to get mine out
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

I've been crawling around under it, prepping for the pull. Broke one transmission mount bolt and wish the others would break. Rubber in the mount keeps me from getting either a socket or a boxed end wrench on the bolt head; open end wrench on those rusted things just makes for a good opportunity to bust a knuckle. Stupid Giggling Monkeys.

Here's what I'll be pulling from:
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1557917002.jpg
(120K file)
Old 08-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I don't have any direct experience pulling a six and tranny from an Olds. I have experience placing a sbc and 400 in an AD 51 Chevy pickup and pulling it and replacing it again. I found that the best way was to remove the front sheet metal and then you don't have to try and shoehorn the whole assembly in over the grill. The time taking the sheet metal off and putting it back on again was well worth it. Make sure to make marks on the body and fender attachments so it is easy to line up the sheet metal again.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

home brew: The whole doghouse is off. I'm in the (too slow) process of taking everything apart. Everything that I don't put back on will just be preserved, in case the next fool who gets the car, after I'm planted, wants to do a museum-style restoration.

Kallie49: I can't remember the last time I even saw a straight 8. Coupled with the transmission, that thing would be half a car length!

I'm preparing it as if to take it all out together. If nobody screams on here, that's what I'll try.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

By all means, get a buddy to help you if not 2. My uncle always does motor swaps by himself and every single time he hurts himself some way or another. Unbolting the tranny first can be a great pain because a lot of the times there isnt enough room under the car to unbolt everything, never mind all the rusted crud thats probably baked on on the underside of your car.

Mike
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, Nightfire, your good advice came too late. The engine and transmission are hanging by a 'come-along' right now. So far, knock on wood, I only got a couple of scrapes and a collar full of dust and rust.

The two toughest to reach tranny mount bolts broke off and the two that were easiest to reach came out like they were put in last week. The most worrisome part was picking lift points. I chose the back one badly and the whole assembly is hanging tail down at a pretty severe angle. It's a long, heavy beast!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just read the story of your engine/tranny pull in your journal. Looks like it went OK and your "swing set" engine hoist worked well. Now build yourself a engine and tranny stand out of wood or metal and drop that baby into it. Make sure you put good casters or wheels on it and you can move it around without any problem. That way you can put it where it isn't in the way - even outside while you are working and bring it back in when you are not.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Just read the story of your engine/tranny pull in your journal. Looks like it went OK and your "swing set" engine hoist worked well. Now build yourself a engine and tranny stand out of wood or metal and drop that baby into it. Make sure you put good casters or wheels on it and you can move it around without any problem. That way you can put it where it isn't in the way - even outside while you are working and bring it back in when you are not.
You saw that mess, eh? That swing set had me a little worried when it took more pull on the handle of that come-along than it had when testing with an old V8. It didn't even grunt, though.

I had thought about making a stand out of wood, but hadn't considered putting wheels on it. (D'oh!) Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you have an old shopping car laying around, you can cut off the basket and mount your engine on the bottom frame. You'll have to reinforce it though with some square tubing.

Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
If you have an old shopping car laying around, you can cut off the basket and mount your engine on the bottom frame. You'll have to reinforce it though with some square tubing.

Mike
If Grouch has an old shopping cart laying about---Chances are---
IT IS NOT HIS

Bryan
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch

Kallie49: I can't remember the last time I even saw a straight 8. Coupled with the transmission, that thing would be half a car length!
A guy that I used to work with when I was a teen had a 41 Buick with a
str8-8 -- only buick I ever saw with dual factory sidemount spares.
Yep---that hood was half the length of the car. At the time he owned the car
for over 25 years--bought it when HE was 17--around 1957 or so. Looked brand new then--probably still does--If he has passed then his daughter would have it now.

Bryan
Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

I have a 49 Chrysler with a flat six. I pulled the front clip off before I pulled the engine and transmission together. Front clip is only on with abot ten-12 fasteners and comes off in one unit.
Gives access to frame and front suspension for work or just cleaning and painting.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.