Pulling a car onto a trailer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pulling a car onto a trailer

I'm picking up my new (to me) car tomorrow and i need to trailer it home cause the rad leaks terribly and won't hold any water. So i was thinking i'd use something to pull it onto the trailer like this: 1200 Lb. Capacity Cable Puller
Good idea? Anything else i could do, let me know. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

should work fine. ive done it. hahaha
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Even with a leaking radiator, if it runs, you should be able to drive it onto the trailer long before it gets hot. Just a thought. Otherwise the cable puller should work fine. Some pullers have a limited range they will pull (less than the total distance you need). Be sure to chock the tires and/or use a tie-down strap to hold the car while you adjust the puller for the next segment of the pull.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM

hand winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Even with a leaking radiator, if it runs, you should be able to drive it onto the trailer long before it gets hot. Just a thought. Otherwise the cable puller should work fine. Some pullers have a limited range they will pull (less than the total distance you need). Be sure to chock the tires and/or use a tie-down strap to hold the car while you adjust the puller for the next segment of the pull.
buy 2 of them and rotate back and forth. Don't use them as hold downs though.
post a picture of your new project.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Thanks guys! I went ahead and bought the 4000lb puller just to be safe, it was only $17 so i figured it's worth it. The trailer has a chain like right in the middle of it so i will connect it to that to get it on the trailer then connect it farther back once i pull it that far. Shouldn't be too bad. I worry about running it with no water at all. I could see if it had some water in it, but with it completely dry it makes me a little nervous. I'll post pics when i get it but you're all gonna hate it.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

WOW, you know some people are just complete losers. What happened to good business? I looked at it yesterday and told him i want it and to hold it til monday so i can get a trailer. I told him I'd call him today just to confirm. So I call him just now and he sold it! What a schmuck! God I hate people like that! I drove like 4 hours round trip to see that car, ridiculous. That's just really bad business.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

That sucks!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

To hold a car requires a DEPOSIT. I would never "Hold" a car without one.
Its a sign that you are a serious buyer. Maybe he figured you werent really coming back.
OR somebody showed up with the CASH to buy it.Never turn down cash.
I never sell a car without cash asking price, or at least a deposit to hold it. Been burnt a few times "holding" a car .

Last edited by LATECH; 04-28-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM

That come a long(puller} is a real P.O.S. The only usefully thing it will do is serve as a bad example. The handle and frame bends at the 1st hint of not having the cable square to the frame. While you should be able to drive it on if you're going to be trailing hotrods be prepared with a wench that will pull a car on without having to stop, chock the car and rehook.
I would suggest a 5000 or 6000 lb electric wench that has both power in and power out as well as freewheeling features. If you ever tried to drive a car up smooth metal ramps in the rain with slicks you'll want the wench.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Also note that the rating of most wenches is with using a pulley and double line pull. The single line pull is 1/2 of that.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
To hold a car requires a DEPOSIT. I would never "Hold" a car without one.
Its a sign that you are a serious buyer. Maybe he figured you werent really coming back.
OR somebody showed up with the CASH to buy it.Never turn down cash.
I never sell a car without cash asking price, or at least a deposit to hold it. Been burnt a few times "holding" a car .
I would never in a million years give someone money for a car without getting the car. Especially with them being 2 hours from me. That's just dangerous. If he wouldn't hold the car for one day how could i trust him to not sell it and keep my money too? I've held cars for people. I give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone wanted to see the car you just tell them that there is a sale pending and you'll call them if it doesn't happen. I told him i would call this morning to be sure i was coming for it, which i did. If someone has agreed to buy the car then you don't show it, its that simple. I've bought 3 cars this way already, and this is the first time someone has done this.

Tresi: I bought the bigger beefier one, the 4k. It's 4 single line and 8k double, so it would definitely pull it, if i was still getting the car.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I give a reciept for deposit and it has the vin number on the receipt as well as the balance. Never had a problem doing business that way.
Business is done on paper these days. The ol handshake doesnt seem to be as reliable.
If you go to buy a car without bringing along the cash to buy it ....well.....
I allways tell people that the first person with cash gets the car, as long as its my asking price. Its easier to negotiate the price when you are waving cash in a guys face too. Cash is magical.
Valkyrie5.7 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

It takes a cash deposit to hold a car.

If somebody said ill call you , without a deposit, is not a binding agreement.

The deposit is non refundable and is applied to the sale when the transaction is done.

Did you buy your other cars from friends and family?

Last edited by spinn; 04-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
e. I've bought 3 cars this way already, and this is the first time someone has done this.
You were doing good to not have had problems yet.

The best when you're going to look at cars is have all the money...get your best price...then if you can't take it that day, you get the title and keys and an agreement on what secure location it will be at with an agreed-on date to pick it up by, and have it all in writing, one copy for each of you. You own the car at that point, you are contracting with him to store it and you know where he lives. Any problems you call the police 'cause then it's stolen.

If you can only leave a deposit, you are probably going to have to offer the seller full price or even a little above, then have 1/4 of the money at-least, and the signed agreement again. Still risky as they may still sell it out from under you and it's not worth the small-claims court hassle...you just have leverage to get your deposit back.

I don't travel any distance to look at a car without all the cash and a trailer, and crossed fingers. Closer to home you can take more risks as there's less you're losing.

Sample agreement:

I "(seller's name)", D/L #xxxxxx, agree to sell 1970 Blahmobile Lic. #xxxxx, VIN #xxxx in as-is condition for the full purchase price $x,xxx, to "(buyer's name, D/L#)", accepting a cash deposit of $xxx to apply against purchase. Said vehicle must be stored by seller in secure location within reason, and picked-up/paid in full by buyer within 2 weeks of this date.

Then as I say, both sign it. What, he doesn't want to give you his driver's license number...the only thing that tells you he really is who he says? One-third of people won't, for whatever paranoid reason, and you just have to tell them "look, I'm putting my number here, if you don't want to give me yours then how can I deal with you?".

Then, you can't really hold the seller responsible for if the car gets damaged or stolen while he has it...and he can still sell it to someone else and really what are you going to do about it?. For his part, he may be dealing with some nut who is going to come fire-bomb his house...he doesn't know (although any suspicion he has, the result of which is that he will choose in his better judgement to not cross you, is beneficial for you...you don't want to go around threatening people but you do need to get some respect as well as get it). The agreement is for all practical purpose, only leverage to try to make sure everybody plays their part, it's no guarantee. Maybe it will just help you get your deposit back if things fall through.

That's why you buy from credible business or have an e-bay score. There's just too much that can go wrong.

Maybe others here have their favorite agreements to write as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to kso For This Useful Post:
LATECH (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresi View Post
... I would suggest a 5000 or 6000 lb electric wench that has both power in and power out as well as freewheeling features. If you ever tried to drive a car up smooth metal ramps in the rain with slicks you'll want the wench.
I don't know of many wenches that can pull a car onto a trailer - I'd suggest getting a winch... Sorry, couldn't pass that up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.