Pulling damage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pulling damage

Hey all... I'm interested in a mgb, however the rear driver side has been hit. Does this look like it could be pulled out? Am I looking for trouble with kind of damage? Frame likely tweaked?

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	71749  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Though it is repairable from that photo you are asking a lot if you haven't done this sort of thing and have a frame rack. There is some severe damage to the structure and if you were to look at the car on the side the quarter panel is likely against the door, the panel in front of the deck lid is likely damaged bad too, the top probably won't go up and down properly. It is likely twisted, it looks like that left side is probably down. The frame rail (it's a unibody) is very possibly buckled down. This car was hit very hard and unless it's a darn special car other wise with super low miles or in exceptional shape, I believe it's now a parts car.

Brian
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Brian. I thought it was too good to be true, but I was hoping.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

For the amount of labor to repair you could pay a pretty good price for a 1/4 panel and still be money ahead.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Frame Rack ?

When I lived in Calif I had a friend that used to Buy wrecked cars, Fix and re- sell. I still I have My HEAVY duty Flat bed equipmet trailer, 3 pieces of 8 inch C channel main Rail, 4 in channel cross bracing and 1/4 in steel floor, 10 K winch, He used to borrow it, get the car chained down, blocked solid , double the cables to have 20 K of pulling and straighten them out. And sometimes I would help with my back hoe to give some lift and more pull in another direction, It can be hard to get one straight with out equipment. Usually the cost to send to a frame shop will eat up any margin in your rebuild budget.

Last edited by timothale; 02-27-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

thats a bodymans special.. cheap for them to fix( if you call your labor free)
like Brian said.. it was stuffed hard, but to a body guy looking for that type car, it be a cheap way to get into one..
if it's almost rust free.. and being an mg..
it's worth being fixed to those in love with this type car..

this is something my dad would fix as he likes fixing/straight'n cars and not replacing metal.. he gets joy, looking over the car, the hit and what moved and how and pulling it back in reverse..
what he did to a older m/b gullwing that was stuffed to the rear window.. without replacing any metal.. makes me sit in awe..
can't wait to see him do his 49 willy's p/u just to watch .. it's an art form.. lost on many of todays cut and replace bodymen..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 02-27-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Isnt that a full frame car ...Brian???
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

No, not from what I remember.

Brian
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

In structure the MGB was a radically, modern design in 1962, utilizing a monocoque structure instead of the traditional body-on-frame construction used on both the MGA and MG T-types and the MGB's rival, the Triumph TR series. However components such as brakes and suspension were developments of the earlier 1955 MGA with the B-Series engine having its origins in 1947. The lightweight design reduced manufacturing costs while adding to overall vehicle strength. Wind-up windows were standard, and a comfortable driver's compartment offered plenty of legroom. A parcel shelf was fitted behind the seats.
The MGB's performance was considered brisk at the time of its introduction, with a 0–60 mph (96 km/h) time of just over 11 seconds, aided by the relatively light weight of the car. Handling was one of the MGB's strong points. The 3-bearing 1798 cc B-Series engine produced 95 hp (71 kW) at 5,400 rpm. The engine was upgraded in October 1964 to a five-bearing crankshaft in an effort to improve reliability. The majority of MGBs were exported to United States. In 1974, as US air pollution emission standards became more rigorous, US-market MGBs were de-tuned for compliance. As well as a marked reduction in performance, the MGB gained an inch (25 mm) in ride height and the distinctive rubber bumpers which came to replace the chrome for all markets.
The MGB was one of the first cars to feature controlled crumple zones designed to protect the driver and passenger in a 30 mph (48 km/h) impact with an immovable barrier (200 ton).[2][3]
Combined production volume of MGB, MGC and MGB GT V8 models was 523,836 cars. A very limited-production "revival" model with only 2,000 units made, called RV8 was produced by Rover in the 1990s. Despite the similarity in appearance to the roadster, the RV8 had less than 5 percent parts interchangeability with the original car.
[edit]
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

that quarter is toast. It needs to be straightened out and cut out as well as the lower rear body panel. how is the gap to the door and the trunk floor/drop off? That hit has hidden damage all over it. A good pole and some chain can come in handy.

Tags
mgb, pull damage

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.