Pump Reservoir - Do I need a return line? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 10:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pump Reservoir - Do I need a return line?

4.3 in a 1949 Chevy Truck with a Mustang II Power Rack. I installed a "Type 2" PS pump from an Astro van because I don't have clearance for the saginaw style. The remote reservoir that was used on the van has two holes - one 5/8's I think and the other is much smaller.

From research, I understand that the van used the Hydroboost system but I am not and just need a plain old remote reservoir.

Question 1 - The pump has a pressure line out and a return. If I were able to use the saginaw style I would not be worried about a return line so do I need to worry about it with the remote reservoir now? I currently just have a 5/8's hose running from the reservoir to the top of the pump.

Question 2 - This will not be a show truck and I don't need a $150 aluminum reservoir - However, I do hate the look of the reservoir from the astro van because the ports come out the side and I have to put a 90 on it to take it down to the pump. From my limited research, I found that 66-67 Chevelle w/ Big Block used a remote reservoir and it doesn't have a return line and also the port is on the bottom. Does anyone think this would be a problem and or are there any other suggestions for aftermarket reservoir's I can buy that are not chrome or aluminum and cost so much.

FYI - I did look at other stock front engine brackets from various 4.3 years to see if they would allow a saginaw pump to move closer to the center but nothing measures like I need it. So I guess I am stuck with the Type 2...

Thanks in advance for any help I receive...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
4.3 in a 1949 Chevy Truck with a Mustang II Power Rack. I installed a "Type 2" PS pump from an Astro van because I don't have clearance for the saginaw style. The remote reservoir that was used on the van has two holes - one 5/8's I think and the other is much smaller.

From research, I understand that the van used the Hydroboost system but I am not and just need a plain old remote reservoir.

Question 1 - The pump has a pressure line out and a return. If I were able to use the saginaw style I would not be worried about a return line so do I need to worry about it with the remote reservoir now? I currently just have a 5/8's hose running from the reservoir to the top of the pump.

Question 2 - This will not be a show truck and I don't need a $150 aluminum reservoir - However, I do hate the look of the reservoir from the astro van because the ports come out the side and I have to put a 90 on it to take it down to the pump. From my limited research, I found that 66-67 Chevelle w/ Big Block used a remote reservoir and it doesn't have a return line and also the port is on the bottom. Does anyone think this would be a problem and or are there any other suggestions for aftermarket reservoir's I can buy that are not chrome or aluminum and cost so much.

FYI - I did look at other stock front engine brackets from various 4.3 years to see if they would allow a saginaw pump to move closer to the center but nothing measures like I need it. So I guess I am stuck with the Type 2...

Thanks in advance for any help I receive...
I'm not sure I fully understand your first question. There needs to be at least one return line from the steering box to the reservoir and a line from the reservoir to the inlet of the pump. The hydroboost vehicles use two return lines, one from the steering box and one from the hydroboost. The returns are low pressure, so you can can the one you don't need.

As for a reservoir, does this pump have a tapped fitting at the pump inlet or just an o-ring seal. The ones I've seen have a plastic reservoir with an integral tube that fits into the pump inlet hole. An o-ring seals it and the reservoir is clipped to the pump body to hold it in place. Note that there are a bunch of different reservoirs for this pump. Look at FWD cars. You might find something that works.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Pump Reservoir - Do I need a return line?

Joe,

I have attached some pictures....

I am running a Mustang II rack and I have two ports, 1 for input and one for return. I have a type 2 pump with essentially two ports, one for pressure feed and the other for low pressure return which is just a hose that is clamped on.

So basically I have a loop where the high pressure of the pump feeds the input of the power rack and the return of the rack feeds the low pressure pump return.

Now, I have a reservoir with two holes, one 5/8 and one much smaller. The only hole I have remaining on the pump is the same 5/8 diameter so I ran a hose between the two and then capped off the smaller hole.

I guess what I am asking is if I were to install a saginaw pump, the reservoir would just sit on top as part of the entire assembly. So why can't my detached reservoir just sit there and attach with a 5/8 hose? If I did hook up the small port on the reservoir, where would it go on the pump? There are no other holes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	45705   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS2.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	45706   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	45707  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

The large port (or bottom port) on the reservoir is the pump's suction line. The pump discharge (high pressure) goes to the smaller port on the rack. The other port on the rack goes back to the reservoir. If you want a different reservoir, take a trip to the local junkyard, many newer cars have them in various sizes and shapes.

Russ
Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Pump Reservoir

S10XGN - Thanks...

So just to make sure I understand...

The large port on top of the pump is the suction line and it sucks from the reservoir. The pump's threaded high pressure line goes to the rack input. The rack output returns to the reservoir.

What do I do with the small steel curve line coming out of the pump? I currently have the rack return going to it - do I just cap it off?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A picture's worth a thousand words.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the newer pumps with the plastic reservoir. This is the normal Saginaw pump with a small reservoir and a large remote. The return line from the steering box or rack usually goes to the metal tube on the back of the pump, but it is also acceptable to run the return to the remote reservoir and cap the tube on the pump housing. Either is acceptable, since both are at atmospheric pressure.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

If it were mine, I'd run the return line to the remote reservoir up top ... in order to ensure that the oil keeps getting cycled.

I'm thinking that the oil in the remote reservoir may stagnate and accumulate moisture from condensation?

Also, the smaller volume of moving fluid between the pump and rack might not cool as well?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hummer? AM General? Part# 6002107
I see this referred to several times while doing a goole search for remote reservoirs.

Summit Racing has several style with AN fittings, like this one, starting at around $46.00

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.