Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pump them up?
Thread: Pump them up?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wezz:

This is what I posted on another thread about pumping up lifters:

Jester

Cleaning , and proper lubricating is a much better use of your time. There are so many installers who don't do that most important step CLEANING!!

Soaking in a can of oil is messy and wont fill a lifter only the small cavity above the plunger & below the pushrod seat! you must compress the lifter till it bottoms out and release it to fill it while under the oil in the can, or tear it down fill and reassemble it for those of you that want to fill yours
Bleed down rates vary by design if heavy break in lube or small debree enters the lifter with a slow bleed down rate it can lock the lifter and it wont bleed down! That's why you don't use anything but oil on the lifter bores or the sides of the lifters! Over the years Ive seen them locked up right out of the box and had to tear down and clean them or get a replacement, and some that wont pump up! cheap brands like Su----, J--s, Cr-w, etc Maybe a dozen over 50 years installing cams kits or new lifters!

The last word from me on this is if a tech sheet said don't pump up a lifter I wouldn't say "Hell I'm going to pump it up anyway"! Nor would I say "Hell I'm going to break in my cam at 4000 rpm for 15 min" if a tech sheet say's 2000 for 1/2 hr. because some people say that's all that's needed or wrote a paper on it ,or you watched u tube and saw some videos of people doing it and the car still runs at the end of their home made video