Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pump them up?
Thread: Pump them up?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My statement was : "Ive torn down engines after setting for years in the woods that had lifter that still held their pressure!"

Many times have I looked for cars in scrap yards or farmers fields when one has an engine Im looking for I'll open the hoods, Ill check the oil pull the valve covers put a wrench on the damper and turn it over as I turn the crank to make 4 revolutions The rockers will move a little most have collapsed over time but a few lifters will still move the rocker arms to full open because when the car quit running they were full of oil at the heal of the lobe with the valve closed and with no pressure to force them to bleed off. the oil was trapped in the lifter for all that time! I see this every year when prepping cars for people after a winter storage some lifters in the engines are still pumped up after 3 or 4 months!

I can build an engine set lash at zero, prime, break it in, run it on a stand set it aside and wait for installation for a month or more! When installed Ill go to bring # 1 up to to top dead center and see lifters that didn't bleed down (because of their position on the cam lobe) open valves to their complete cycle!

When an engine is shut off there will always be a few lifters in positions that wont cause their bleed down! I thought my other statement read OK I guess I wasn't clear on my meaning! Sorry

Jester