Pump them up? - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"And how about the valve springs i can use stock springs right??"
Yes you can use the stock units, if the pressure at installed hight is correct!

On a hydraulic cam when you preload the lifters, the plunger will change the pushrod position!

A 3/8" rocker stud has 24 threads per inch. You generally pre load the lifters about 1/2 to 3/4 turn stock setting, which will put the rocker arm about 0.021" to .03?" lower This needs to be considered as well. So your push rods should work fine! If the valve stems are equal length above the head!

You are building a basically stock flat tappet cam engine with a little more power. the demand on your valve train isn't that demanding, and the basic hydr. lifters are designed to compensate for minor differences in expansion, wear, etc. when hot your lash can change from .006" to .020" depending on component materials! The lifters will compensate for this if adjusted cold and when readjusted hot your push rods will be .006 to .020 closer to the rocker!

If you were building a full out race engine it would be more demanding on the tighter tolerances in order to stand up to the demand put on the valve train!

The rocker arm tip should be in the center of the valve stem tip at half its travel when opening the valve, when lifters are pumped up after engine is primed. The only thing that can make a problem with the push rods I sent you is : If the head was milled, valve seats installed and machined high, valve stem tips machined, different length valves installed, a thick head gasket, Cam grind,etc any thing that moves the valve train closer or away from the cam lobe will change push rod length! If your valve stem hight looks good in the pics you post: you will be able to run those push rods!

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
the youngone

Last journal entry: progressthe
Last photo:

What do you mean with preload ... Leave them a night in the oil ? The picture where the chekker seems to fit is with a not fully load lifter i could press the pushrod a litle in the lifter the picture where the chekker not seems to fit is a fully load lifter. I cant pres it in The heads are milled a little. Valves are regrind but to compensate that. They grind a little of the valve stem .. The center of the rocker is touching the middle on the valve stem.. Like you see on the picture. .. To if its going to work Are the lifters getting pressed in a little ?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezz View Post
What do you mean with preload ... Leave them a night in the oil ? The picture where the chekker seems to fit is with a not fully load lifter i could press the pushrod a litle in the lifter the picture where the chekker not seems to fit is a fully load lifter. I cant pres it in The heads are milled a little. Valves are regrind but to compensate that. They grind a little of the valve stem .. The center of the rocker is touching the middle on the valve stem.. Like you see on the picture. .. To if its going to work Are the lifters getting pressed in a little ?

After they are installed and initially adjusted !!!!! After your engine is assembled When you prime the engine with oil, your lifters will fill with oil (load) "PRE" start up! Do you under stand what I meant by preload? I meant prime! Sorry!!

Yes your lifters are collapsing a little.

The tool touching the push rod and valve tip is perfect! the other is close
Jester
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM

PJ is this your first correspondence student? Im impressed with the details and patience.Wezz you might get a bill for another chunk of marzipan,lol. I hope this engine runs as good as it sounds,will be a huge accomplishment for a first time builder
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
PJ is this your first correspondence student? Im impressed with the details and patience.Wezz you might get a bill for another chunk of marzipan,lol. I hope this engine runs as good as it sounds,will be a huge accomplishment for a first time builder
Vinnie

Just a small language problem LOL we're getting there Wezz is doing a good job and he cares about the build Cant say that about everyone on hereLOL

Jester
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM

I agree,I know I dont mind going the extra mile to help,if the person is really trying. Thats how a lot of times you go to offer suguestions and come home very late with dirty hands
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
the youngone

Last photo:

Jester i mean the rodchekker is like the pic not fitted with a fully lifter .. With an emty lifter and when i puch in the liter/rodchekker a bit its fitting perfect like the pic says .. So is it good yes or no haha .. Alsoo ik have a weiand exelerator. Manifold and a edelbrock torker 2 wishone will be the best. I also have a. I think a edelbrock 650 carb will it work on my ported heads ?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Jester i mean the rodchekker is like the pic not fitted with a fully lifter .. With an emty lifter and when i puch in the liter/rodchekker a bit its fitting perfect like the pic says .. So is it good yes or no haha .. Alsoo ik have a weiand exelerator. Manifold and a edelbrock torker 2 wishone will be the best. I also have a. I think a edelbrock 650 carb will it work on my ported heads ?
The Weiand X-celerator will match your rpm ranges better then the torker with that cam and the 650 should work very well on it with some minor initial tuning!

The push rods should be fine when you adjust the lifters! I need to see the straight edge across the valve tip pics. Then we will go from there.

Jester
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
the youngone

Last photo:

Ok I cant show you the. Edge on the valvetips becouse when i adjust om not going to lose them again... Over the carb what do you mean With minor initial tuning? Is.a 650 on a 305 not to big?? Btw how can i chek what for carb it is ..
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok I cant show you the. Edge on the valvetips becouse when i adjust om not going to lose them again... Over the carb what do you mean With minor initial tuning? Is.a 650 on a 305 not to big?? Btw how can i chek what for carb it is ..
Wezz:

When you install a carb, there is an initial tune for idle, mixture, accelerator pump squirt and duration, secondary timing ETC. just all basic tuning when you first install a carb! every engine has different demands!

There is a list # on the choke horn if its a Holley, post it! If its a 650 it should work fine with your build

You already adjusted the lifters? OK, that's fine if they are all running on the center of the valve tips you will be fine. Finnish your assembly

Jester
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
the youngone

Last photo:

No not assambled yet .. But now there are no stiper on the valve tip . Uhm btw its a edelbrock carb .. Gues a 650 what the man told me .. Here is a pic
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM
the youngone

Last photo:

Carb pic

Here the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	71554  
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
the youngone

Last photo:

I chekked the numbers on the carb its 188 9635sa .. And the web says its a gm???
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

That looks like a carter? Not an Edelbrock!

Jester

I checked the # Its a Carter 625 cfm!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM
the youngone

Last photo:

And is that a good one??

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.