Hot Rod Forum banner

Pump them up?

50K views 500 replies 11 participants last post by  Wezz 
#1 ·
Hi. Yesterday my new cam and lifters. Were dilivered But now im dnt know if i have to pump them up or put them in a container with oil. The edelbrock says no but a lot of people are saying yes . So what to do .. Thnx

#292 · (Edited)
Wezz:

Your engine is a basic street hop up! The benefits are not very measurable on the street and small until wide open throttle which isn't very often on the street, but the experience and pride you have in a good job porting and polishing and building your own engine is something to treasure and use on your next build! Plus when your Grand kids and everyone are driving cars that run on electricity you'll have those pictures to show them of your work on an internal combustion engine!!!!!!:thumbup:

Good night Wezz!!

Jester

#305 ·
just use the agressive accelerator pump position?? can u explain haha to difficuld with the bad english from me haha,,, iil use a tbi pump in the tank its a strong pump right? and a carb fuel pressuere regulator ..it has a retour so i will use that im drive on lpg most time and i will the fuel stay pumping around .. so i between the fuel pressure regulator i mount a elec valve . so the gas wil pomp around while drive on lpg

#307 ·
divided plenum intake ?? have a wheiand x-celorator and already a carter 625 .. is that =- the same combi ,, i also found a youtube video that engine has a little bigger lift but a litle smaller valve i have 188 150 valves... but with the same carb .. will mine engine be like this?

#308 ·
I see your intake doesn't have the notches (red arrows below), to use a divider plate to separate the intake into two halves. Using a divider doesn't exactly make the intake a dual plane, but will help the 305 run better.

I guess you can see if you can make something similar to use (it is just a flat piece of aluminum, fit to the floor of the intake), but using an open plenum intake is not the hot setup for a 305 w/a mild cam. But if that's all you have, you'll just have to use it.

Divider plate:

Your intake:

#311 ·
#313 ·
The problem w/a single plane (aka 'open plenum') intake when used on a smaller or milder built engine, is the movement of the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders is delayed due to the larger area the cylinder is pulling the air/fuel mixture from. A divided plenum will have better response at a lower rpm because less volume means less delay for the air/fuel mixture to move into a cylinder. Also an open plenum intake will have lower idle vacuum than a dual plane intake, all else being equal.

This is way oversimplified, there are also things like the cross section area and length of the ports that affects how a particular intake will perform. You can do a search for dual plane vs. single plane intakes (or similar terms) for more detailed info.

There are a few single plane intakes that can bridge the gap between open and divided plenum intakes. One example it the discontinued Streetmaster (there were several versions). It used a small port to keep the velocity up. The X-Cellerator and Torquer type intakes have larger runners than the Streetmaster.

Streetmaster:

Now, I won't say it'll run like crap using your intake. But I WILL say a dual plane like an Edelbrock EPS will work better.;)

#315 · (Edited)
Wezz:

The 2 intakes you have are both 360 DEG. plenum, higher RPM intakes but the Xcelerator is your best choice of the 2, What Cobalt is saying is a divider plate will help a lot when it comes to street low RPM driving! Or you could run a 1in. 4 hole spacer it would help a little to. the best intake for your build would be a 180 DEG. plenum intake like this>

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71744&stc=1&d=1361921140

You should have no problems with vacuum. The plate looks like this
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71747&stc=1&d=1361921664

Jester

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.