Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Purchasing a Ford F100.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I agree about buying a truck that someone else has built. It's the smart way to do it. Be advised however, that not all trucks are built alike.

Several years ago, a fellow I knew called and said he wanted to bring his new Effie over for me to see. I said great. The truck was reeeeaaaal eye candy. Turquoise paint with a blown BBC, 2-4's. Polished mags, big rubber. Really a nice looking piece. He asked if I'd like to chauffer it around the block. I said sure. Well, I have to tell you, I was never more disappointed with a piece of machinery in my life. Whomever installed the front clip set it in with no positive caster, so you had to turn the steering wheel back manually on every turn. It would not return to zero by itself. The fellow had just shelled out $40,000 for this rig, so I just kept my mouth shut about the caster and complimented him on his purchase.

Moral of the story is, contract with an expert at an expert shop to look over and drive the rig you plan to buy before you hand over any long green.

You can find current values of the Effie here....
http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...-Pickup/Values

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.