Push Button Start from SCRATCH - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Push Button Start from SCRATCH

Hey guys you might have answered this already but here it goes. I got a nova that is mainly being used as a race car. I want to wire a pushbutton start switch without using the wiring that is there. I have it hard wired now but I am scared to leave it permanent in case of a fire. The way I got it ran now is a positive cable from the bat to the starter. A wire on the big post of the starter to one side of a push button, a wire from the little post on the starter to the other side of the push button. Then a wire from the positive side of the bat to a toggle and a ground running to the block for the toggle and the bat. It works but i want a permanent setup installed in the dash and need help! what size wire is safe, what about a fuse, a relay, or the toggle to the HEI should there be a fuse and what size wire to use there HELP!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

push button starter botton

All you need is a hot wire to the starter button, then from the starter button to the s terminal ( inside next to the engine) on the starter and a 14 gage wire should feed the sol. fine. When the button is released it will open the circuit and stop the starter motor. If you want a fuse, I put a meter in line and start the engine while watching the meter to see how much it pulls. Then just get a fuse a size larger ( maybe 2) than what it pulled. Watch for the load when you first it the button. I'd think it would be high at first engagement. Maybe an electrical wiz will know
Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM

What bought the wire that runs from the toggle switch to the HEI igntion, have any idea what size wire is suitable? Should I use a fuse or fusible link. I dont want to catch anything on FIRE!! Thats really my greatest fear.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 AM
or was that certifiable?

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First thing With almost any race application you would want a master electrical shutoff mounted in an easily accessible location (On the exterior of the vehicle, Some strips and even circle tracks require it)They are usually mounted on the back of the car the wiring will be contained in the trunk area along with the batt, the switch to kill all power will be in an area easy to get to in case of an accident (usually lol)
As far as wire size 14ga. is good for your pushbutton to engage the starter.
but you will want to run the feed for it from the disconnect, and not directly from the battery, and go with 12ga. there. (because of the length of wire from the disconnect at the rear of the vehicle to the dash)
For the Ignition feed, Same basic connections using 10 ga. wire.

No Fuses I'd hate to lose a race with money at stake over a $.30 fuse.
Check with your local track/strip see what their requirements are and go with it.
Anything else I can offer assistance on just let me know.
GL
Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM

thanks man appreciate the advise you helped a bunch!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

push button start

All that sound good, but I still run the hot wire for the push button from the positive on the starter. It'll be a lot less wire, running a shorter distance, being easier to insulate. And when you open that disconnect switch, its still going to kill the power to the front.
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, but you can bet, the cat any going to like it which every way you go about it.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 AM
or was that certifiable?

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanierledford
All that sound good, but I still run the hot wire for the push button from the positive on the starter. It'll be a lot less wire, running a shorter distance, being easier to insulate. And when you open that disconnect switch, its still going to kill the power to the front.
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, but you can bet, the cat any going to like it which every way you go about it.
I stand corrected Lanier that would be the best way to skin that cat.lol
I must have caught a bad case of tunnel vision thinking about that how to describe the mounting of that disconnect.

and you are quite welcome Novaguy
I found this disconnect setup on wiki check it out
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._MOUNT_BATTERY

Last edited by justacertifiedtech; 08-03-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for all your help guys IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Push Button Srarter woes

I have a 85 Chevy truck 4x4. Its used for off road mud racing. We installed a 50 amp toggle switch and a 60 amp push button for starting. We took a wire from the + side battery to the large terminal post on the starter selonid. We ran 12v to the toggle switch, ran a wire from the switch to the push button. Then we took a wire from the push button to the small terminal on the starter selonid. When we flip the toggle on we have power. But when we hit the push button nothing...Any Ideas.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Unless you have a safety requirement (racing, etc.), the large terminal on the starter should always be connected to the positive battery terminal (usually with a 2 gauge wire). You don't need to switch this connection. It is always powered.

The switched 12 volts should apply 12 volts to the HEI battery terminal. This powers the ignition circuit, and its usually done throudh the ignition switch. It is also usually connected to the other 12 volt switched accessories.

The small terminal on the starter is used to activate the solenoid. When you apply 12 volts to it, you should turn over the starter. That circuit is where the pushbutton switch goes. If the HEI already has power (switched on), then when you push the button it should start the truck.

Bruce
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM

starter woes

Exactly as it is now wired. But when we hit the toggle whitch powers the push button and push the button the solenoid does not activate ie: engage the starter drive to the flywheel and turn the motor over. The voltage remains very close to the same at all places tested, battery, starter, toggle switch and push button switch.. All brand new parts and wiring. All connections soldered. I'm about to start pulling out what little hair I have left. This should be a simple, no frills starter set up.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 AM

Hi, I don't have a hot rod but I was wondering is there any reason that you can't do what nova guy did? "The way I got it ran now is a positive cable from the bat to the starter. A wire on the big post of the starter to one side of a push button, a wire from the little post on the starter to the other side of the push button." and with the negative battery cable grounded to the starter when you push the push button would it not be like crossing over the big post to the little terminal to get the starter to throw out and start? So whould there be any need for a toggle switch or fuses? I would have my key turned forward to power everything but the starter so when I turned my key off the truck would shut off right? Just wondering if it would work and not catch on fire. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyradio
Exactly as it is now wired. But when we hit the toggle whitch powers the push button and push the button the solenoid does not activate ie: engage the starter drive to the flywheel and turn the motor over. The voltage remains very close to the same at all places tested, battery, starter, toggle switch and push button switch.. All brand new parts and wiring. All connections soldered. I'm about to start pulling out what little hair I have left. This should be a simple, no frills starter set up.
Toyradio, do you have the solenoid wire from the pushbutton hooked to the small starter post closest to the engine block(inboard post). The outboard post is incorrect.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.