Hot Rod Forum banner

pushrod alignment

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dave350v8 
#1 ·
Hi,
I installed full roller rocker arms on my sbc about 700 miles ago, the contact area is not too bad but not perfect, the main thing that concerns me is the "side contact pattern" indicates the rockers are "tilted" to one side, if I change back to pressed gm rocker arms will this allow the contact area to be even across the the width of valve stem?
I presume the rocker studs or rocker arms are at a slight angle.
I have read that the alignment problem can cause rapid valve guide wear, and even seats dropping out!

Yes they are Chinese, that's all I could afford at the time

cheers

#4 ·
The ball and socket trunion allows the rocker to self adjust for these machining inaccuracies between where the alignments of the tappet, push rod guide, rocker stud and valve stem are in 3D space. The roller trunion is ridged in side to side rotation and cannot make this self adjustment it doesn't matter if the rocker is domestic or import in this regard.

Bogie

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Seems quite a common problem with aftermarket heads, yes the photo link is exactly how the witness marks are on the valve tip.

Do find it hard to believe that the roller tip being not quite on the valve tip properly would cause enough side load to create rapid valve guide wear!

Thanks again
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.