Put forth some effort - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Put forth some effort

Ok, I have a small soap box to climb on.

First let me say that I am not trying to offend anyone, and I don't mean to seem ugly with this post.

I have noticed a recent incline in people asking for information or resources that could easily be found with a simple google search or a little effort in your phone book looking up resources local to you. I don't mind helping anyone that I can and I try to do just that, I will gladly offer any information or experience that I have, to help anyone in need. However I find the old saying to be true "if you give a man a fish you feed him one meal, if you teach him to fish, you feed him for life". I hope no one takes offense to this thread, because offending anyone or coming across as an ### is not my intention, but please take my advice and do a little "fishing" before you take the easy way out and ask everyone a question that could be easily answered with a little bit of effort. Plus if you put forth the effort to find it on your own, you will likely find more information than you originally thought you needed, helping you in more ways than expected.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings, that is not my intention at all. I am not trying to discourage anyone from asking for help or information if you need it. It just seems that so many people have become very co-dependent lately, that it concerns me to wonder if they are actually trying to find anything on their own and needing help or just trying to up their post count. I will step down from my soap box now and hope I don't get banned for my temporary ranting.

Kelly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
68NovaSS (07-24-2013), Bad Rat (07-27-2013), Dave57210 (07-21-2013), OneMoreTime (07-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Well said and I agree.

454 RATTLER
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,144 Posts
You know the thing about this, often it's simply a desire to cut through the crap, you know what I mean?

I have done it many times, I google something and come up with a staggering number of options. I ask the question on a forum, maybe even one that has been asked a million times and I get a cut to the chase answer, done deal.

So it isn't that everyone is lazy, often it just makes sense to get a little help.

Brian
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

I also agree. Well said.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Banned

Last photo:

i agree with you. if you can sign up here, you should be fully capable to do a simple google search.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You know the thing about this, often it's simply a desire to cut through the crap, you know what I mean?

I have done it many times, I google something and come up with a staggering number of options. I ask the question on a forum, maybe even one that has been asked a million times and I get a cut to the chase answer, done deal.

So it isn't that everyone is lazy, often it just makes sense to get a little help.

Brian

Good point Brian, as I said in my OP I have no intention of offending anyone and I understand that sometimes it is easier/better to just ask, and I am fine with that. I know google can be a bit vague and scattered on some topics. Again, I don't mind helping anyone in any way I can, it just seems that on the forums (several that I read over, not just this one) there are a lot of people asking questions that could be answered on their own with little to no effort.

Kelly
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

we are just getting older

Mabe we are just getting old and cranky, don't like the attitude of some of these kids. On another forum there were a lot of new experts who had never been there,, done that.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

CC I fully agree with you except for the fishing part, being a fishing guide for 55 years, I will tell you I have taken many people out fishing that would do a lot better at the fish market, if they were to depend on their fishing skills. LOL

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 35terraplane For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM

]I agree that there's alot of ? asked that are pretty " seriously" . Maybe it's that many of us who've seen 6+ decades also feel that the info we know mostly came about by digging in & Doing . Those lessons we learned "the hard way" are pretty special & never forgotten , it just seems that some of today's crowd lacks initiative... guess I am gettin" crusty.

dave
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

If I have a question I could do the search and get a million answers but knowing it is A LOT different than doing it. It's easy to get the general bulk of it but to get the little tips that only come from experience are priceless. For instance, I just got hit with a corvette. Whole front clip is coming off and many repairs. I have some questions I'd like to ask about how to store it so it doesn't flop all over the place once it's off. I'm worried about that. I tried to google them but they're not your average questions so if I can't find something on this I want Shine and/or Barry to chime in, why wouldn't I? I've done some fiberglass here and there and haven't had any complaints with customers but there's a lot of ignorance out there on fiberglass and I want to use this opportunity to get the most out of it as I can and do the best I can with what's there. As a member of this site, I'd rather see some other members humbled down to answer questions cause I get the feeling some people around here go google this and that and THEN come here and preach it. That's not how you're gonna impress the body gods. You're gonna impress them by being honest and not sneaky. So yeah, I'd love to see more netsperts asking questions and showing humility.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
If I have a question I could do the search and get a million answers but knowing it is A LOT different than doing it. It's easy to get the general bulk of it but to get the little tips that only come from experience are priceless. For instance, I just got hit with a corvette. Whole front clip is coming off and many repairs. I have some questions I'd like to ask about how to store it so it doesn't flop all over the place once it's off. I'm worried about that. I tried to google them but they're not your average questions so if I can't find something on this I want Shine and/or Barry to chime in, why wouldn't I? I've done some fiberglass here and there and haven't had any complaints with customers but there's a lot of ignorance out there on fiberglass and I want to use this opportunity to get the most out of it as I can and do the best I can with what's there. As a member of this site, I'd rather see some other members humbled down to answer questions cause I get the feeling some people around here go google this and that and THEN come here and preach it. That's not how you're gonna impress the body gods. You're gonna impress them by being honest and not sneaky. So yeah, I'd love to see more netsperts asking questions and showing humility.

Tech, I agree with you completely and I don't want anyone to misunderstand me in any way. I don't mind helping anyone, answering questions, offering knowledge (what little I have) etc. It just seems that I have been seeing a lot of questions that seem like (forgive me here for lack of better wording) "lazy" questions. I understand what Brian is getting at, and I agree that google is not always the best resource. I also understand what you are saying. If I had a vette question, I'd be the first one to PM shine or Barry. Knowledge and experience are priceless virtues that one can only gain over time, and I hope everyone on this forum continues to ask questions that are valid, but when I some questions I can't help but shake my head (IE how much is ....... or where can I buy red paint, ETC). I don't know maybe I was having a bad day and jumped the gun so to speak. I don't want anyone to think they should not ask questions, but some need to put forth the effort to find out the general information prior to just asking because asking is easier than looking it up. Hope that makes sense.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

These types of posts (aka complaints) get posted here and on other Car Forums all the time and when I see them my first thought is this. "If you think the poster should have googled before posting then just don't reply to his post."

I am probably more guilty than anyone for NOT using Google to get answers and etc but my reason is this. "When you post it on a Forum there are several (hopefully) that will see the original post and the replies also and ?if? a certain reply isn't exactly correct then ?usually? someone will mention it and suggest an alternative.

When you google you are at the mercy of what ever link you read with no checks and balances except your success or failure if you use their information. Car Forums usually have members that have been in your shoes and aren't just selling a product.

Have a great hump day, Y'all,
Em
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

yeah, who knows what will be found when googling and from whom? I have read plenty of posts from Barry and Shine and trust their opinions. That's my only point I guess, but yeah, I also get lazy at times and look for a quick answer without putting in the work to find it myself-lol
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
These types of posts (aka complaints) get posted here and on other Car Forums all the time and when I see them my first thought is this. "If you think the poster should have googled before posting then just don't reply to his post."

I am probably more guilty than anyone for NOT using Google to get answers and etc but my reason is this. "When you post it on a Forum there are several (hopefully) that will see the original post and the replies also and ?if? a certain reply isn't exactly correct then ?usually? someone will mention it and suggest an alternative.

When you google you are at the mercy of what ever link you read with no checks and balances except your success or failure if you use their information. Car Forums usually have members that have been in your shoes and aren't just selling a product.

Have a great hump day, Y'all,
Em
I can't believe the answers I have gotten from asking AFTER I have googled and found nothing. On my vintage radio that I needed parts, right here on hotrodder, the exact thing I needed on a link, BAMM, done deal. On my computer, DONE DEAL on a forum for IMAC's, BAMM done deal. I just don't see anything wrong with these questions personally. Heck, that is what got me to write my first "Basics" was because of the same question being asked all the time. That was the solution, provide a good answer for the guy.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

then what exactly is the reason for this forum ? if someone didn't ask the answer would not be there to "search " for . you ever think maybe they just wanted to be a part of it ? these questions are what keeps these forum going. otherwise just close it down and tell people to go search .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-24-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.