Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - put a little to much clear on
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What you are seeing is urethane wave, like every other show car has when using a higher solids clear and using excess coats.
Has nothing to do with how you sprayed it, gun adjustment or clear pulling back. This is normal with doing custom work unless you use an everyday production clear and then you are going back wards after two coats.

There is only one correction and that is wet sanding, first with 400, 600 or 800, your choice as these are the only grits that will remove the urethane wave. 1000 will make a slight dent but only if you beat yourself half to death sanding.

Hard block on fresh clear??? You are more a man then me, how I do my jobs is 400 or 600 with a soft pad like motor guard or 3M and when done I will jump to either 1000 or 1200 (depending on sandpaper inventory) pretty serious stuff here as you can tell and itís the same reason I sand first with 400 or 600.
Then I go to 1500 and ready to buff, some people like 2000 or 3000 and buff, that is up to you as all clears are different as to how they buff.

For the perfect job, you may consider letting car set in full sun for a day or two before wet sanding and a full day after wet sanding and then buffing for good leveling and it will cut your buffing time in half.