Put new spings in..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 06:14 PM
www.airriderz.com

Wiki Edits: 0

Calling All Suspenion Guys........!!!!1

When I rebuilt the front end on my 66 Impala I put new springs in with all new bushings. After a while I decided to cut the springs 1 1/2 coils. The car aligned fine and the ride was good. Then I put 2" drop spindles on with the same cut coils and the aligment was 2 degrees negative in the camber.

This weekend I decided to put stock springs back in so avoid tire wear. After the new springs where installed the car still sits at the same height as the cut coils I had replaced. And the ride up front is SUPER stiff. I do not understand what is making my car so stiff? Back when I rebuild the front end I installed Edelbrock shocks. Is it possible the shocks are making the front end super stiff? I double checked the new spring part numbers and they are the right spring for my application.

If I push down on the front end it does not even go down 1 inche. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks......

Advertisement

Last edited by black66; 05-17-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 PM
www.airriderz.com

new findings

I took the car to the alignment shop. With new springs the camber is - 2.0 on both sides. And the cam bolts on the bottom A arm are full adjusted... I am thinking that the drop spindles are some how causing me this grief. As anyone had any problems with drop spindles keeping the camber in the negative?

Last edited by black66; 05-11-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:00 PM
www.airriderz.com

New Findings......

Put the new Moog springs in today. My Camber is negative 5 degrees on both sides. And can not be pulled back in.... Look at these pictures of my spindles. They are rubbing the frame by the Upper control arm on both passenger and driver side. I purchased the 2" drop spindles from Performance Suspension. I can only assume they are the wrong part. Why would my upper A arm be in such a done position while the car is on the ground???? I called Performance Suspension and they said they where the correct drop spindles. Because if they where the wrong ones they would not fit.........??? Something is really wrong with this picture. No wonder why my car is so stiff....... The spindle rubs the frame.........

Thanks ..... Dave
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

Man those spindles look way wrong for those a-arms and set up. They look either to short or they are on the wrong way. Sorry, I don't know about your car but they look to me to be on wrong.

I would recheck everything over then call back and ask if they have pics of how they are supposed to look when on a car.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:17 PM
www.airriderz.com

Impala guys

Can anyone with a 66 Impala tell me what the distance is between the upper and lower ball mounts on your stock spindles.......

I have taken this front end apart 5 times since August of 2003 when I put the drop spindles in...... Those spindles are on the correct way. I have already emailed Performance Suspension with the pictures........... Lets see them say I have the correct spindles now......... ha ha.....

Dave

Last edited by black66; 05-17-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.