put in stabil going to be 60 F??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

put in stabil going to be 60 F???

put my hot rods up for winter, gets brutilly cold here, put stabil in gas tanks.
Going to be in the 50's and maybe 60 this thanksgiving weekend with 4 days off work and trapped with a housefull of in-laws. HELP!!!
i never used stabil can i drive with this in my engine with out doing anything special?? I was going to drain it in the spring

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

stabilzer in tk

yep u can drive it all u want without any problems.. just know if u need to add gas to put some more stuff in it.. and don't need to drain the tk in the spring.. drive it... i always use it and drive it in spring and never had a problem... thats what it made for... i also fogg the engine too... i use fogging for a boat engine... and leave it alone...
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

whats fogging??
Does stabil decrease your octane ?

Last edited by bigalow; 11-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Us boat people have to put engines to "sleep" every year. It is no big deal. Here is the process I use on a boat.

About a month, to two weeks before I know I will lay up the boat of the winter, I start to use Sta-Bil in the gas. For short term storage, you mix about 2 oz of Sta-Bil per five gallons of gas. Longer term, double that. Go ahead, and drive the boat, adding fuel and more Sta-Bil as you need to keep the tank pretty full. Buy the Sta-Bil in the garden section of your local "one stop shop" store. People in the north west will recognize that as "Fred Meyer". This year, it was on sale for less than $8.00 a quart there. Do the same for your car

The last time you use the boat, while it is still warm, drain the engine oil, and the transmission fluid. Both fluids come out easier when the engine is warm. With the boat, I let the engine oil drain overnight. More dirty oil comes out, and also the oil galleys do not leak into the bilge when I remove the old oil filter the next day. The next day, I remove the oil filter, and put some new oil in a new filter, and fill the engine and transmission with oil, and fluid. Then I restart the engine, and run it for five minutes, and check for oil leaks, check the transmission oil level, and shut the engine down. check the oil level in the engine.

Then I fog the engine. For a multiport fuel injected engine, I remove the spark plugs, and spray an aerosol fogging oil into each cylinder. Turn the engine two times, by hand, spray a little more fogging oil in each cylinder, and put the spark plugs back in. The same process will work with a carb engine. Some people spray fogging oil into the carb when the engine is running, but in my opinion, that just blows the oil back out of the engine through the muffler. Maybe the muffler will last longer, I do not know, boat mufflers are fiberglass, ans do not rust.

With a boat, I then drain the raw water cooling system. With a car, if it is time, change the antifreeze, and flush the cooling system. Put fresh antifreeze in. On a car, you may want to change the differential fluid, and maybe the brake fluid, and any other fluids. I do not do this on a boat, no differential, or brakes.

Loosen the accessory drive belts, if they are V belts. Serpentine belts do not need this, but it will not hurt anything if you do.

I then tape the exhaust closed. Keeps small animals out of the pipe. Yes, squirrels can make a home in a 2" exhaust pipe, and muffler.

Finally, I disconnect the negative battery cable. I do not put the battery on a trickle charger, if a fully charged battery does not hold a charge through the winter, it is time for a new battery in the boat. If you want to use a trickle charger on you car battery, you can, but next summer, I would rather have a reliable battery. This is for a boat. You do not have the option of walking to help in a boat. You really want it to start.

A quick recap. Stabilize the fuel, and fill the tank. Fill the tank almost completely full, it reduces the amount of possible condensation in the gas tank. The stabilized fuel will last through the winter, and can just be used next spring.

Change the oils and fluids. You do not want old contaminated oils sitting in the engine all winter. Synthetic oils get just as much contaminates in them as conventional oils do. They need to be changed also. Even if they do have an unnecessary purple dye in them.

Five or six cylinders on a V-8 engine have one or more open valves no matter where it is stopped. Engine oil will run off the cylinder walls, and leave them exposed to rust on the surface, when air moving in and out of the cylinder causes condensation in the cylinders. That is why you need to fog the engine.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Daniel, excellent information! Would you put this info in our Wiki? Thanks, Dan
Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

don't use stabil in my vehicles only my mowers and generator
just run it low and fill up in the spring.
never have a problem
Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

fogging eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalow
whats fogging??
Does stabil decrease your octane ?
the stuff u buy at a marine store is to fogg an engine... for me i'll run the motor for a few minutes and shut off the fuel.. with the fog spray can in hand i'll run the engine at maybe 2500rpm area.. keeping the rev's up will give u enough time to spray the fog into the carb and get it into the cyl's.. so just as u hear the engine is gonna die, rev the motor higher and spray away... it'll shut the eng down.. turn off key and say good nite.. this spray klings to the side walls of the cyl's and everything else to keep rust down...
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 AM

Last photo:

Wow-good thread and learned quit a bit
thanks for the extra effort DANIELC??? good stuff and I saved it for future referance

I used to just park my stuff until one year it didn't work and the gas turned to Crap. WHAT A FRICKEN MESS!!!!
Maybe the gas was crap ?? who knows but I wont do that again

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.